Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windshield --  look over or thru ? (Read 242 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Windshield --  look over or thru ?
08/24/10 at 06:11:43

Maybe been talked about before but,.....

I have never ever looked thru a windshield before my recent install of the falcon-32-20. The 16 would have been too short, so I was forced into the 20". It ended up being 1.5" too tall to look over it. At first I thought looking thru it mite be ok, but didn't take a ride or 2 to realize that at times my vision was being severely hampered from the reflections... more than just looking thru the glass.
Just wondered how many riders do actually look thru verses over.
I ended up cutting 1.5" off the top, (kinda hurt while doing it) it turned out beautiful......can't tell it from factory edge, and I am very happy w/ it and the increased vision quality now.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Windshield --  look over or thru ?
Reply #1 - 08/24/10 at 06:20:59

I look over.

If I crouch over the tank, I can get in the air bubble behind the windscreen, but I'm still looking just over the top of the windscreen. It gets real quiet when I do that. I can get the same effect in regular riding position, but it takes a bunch more speed.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 06:36:58

I have mostly look tru on My s40 just over the top,It makes no difference to me which way it is.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 07:27:16

Ahhh Routy, you have a true custom windshield. I fear the the debate of "over or through" is in the same league as oil (Ilove oil threads). Enjoy the custom windshield-Ride safe, far, and often---Luke

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 07:45:50

ya know, I thought about that the other day when I posted about mine being too short for a taller person.... that is IF they want to look thru it.  You are right, alot of people look over them.  My eyesight line to where I mostly look at the road while riding is maybe an inch below the top of my shield.  I do look over it alot too.  Sometimes reflections are annoying, it was really bad at first, but I've gotten used to it.  

So I guess my answer is both!  haha

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/24/10 at 08:04:53

Yeah Babyhog,...
I kinda posted this because of your post in the other thread. I had the same Spitfire, and was surprise to read you were looking thru it. I'm 6ft, and looking over it I had 5" tween the headlite. So I should never have bought it. But a short guy from CL came over and we installed it on his 500cc Vigaro, (he also looked over it) and he rode off tickled.

Anyways I don't think I would have ever gotten used to looking thru it, I found myself constantly stretching to look over it for better vision to see them darn Deer that are the same color as the hills ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 08/24/10 at 08:26:49

i bought hashbrown's spitfire installed it per instructions close to the headlight bezel (maybe 1/4 in off the light) and i am 6ft tall - i look over mine easily.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 08/24/10 at 10:29:10

http://www.memphisshades.com/faqs/1-faqs/5-how-do-i-know-what-windshield-heig...
"Most riders like to be able to see over their windshields. ... up between the tip and the bridge of a riders nose ... vital a rider chooses one that isn't so high that he or she can't comfortably extend themselves to see up over the top of the windshield"

http://www.rifle.com/guide.cfm?&DID=9&User_ID=3363376&st=8740&st2=-78344011&s...
"How High -- The ideal height for a windshield is just below your line of vision. ..."

http://www.nationalcycle.com/WhyBuy/chapter3.html
"National Cycle makes a wide range of windshield sizes and styles. Windshield height is a personal preference, but expert riders and National Cycle recommend that you are able to look just over the top of your windshield to see the road at a distance of 50 feet in front of you."

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/24/10 at 11:46:12

I'm use to looking though windshields,I do in my car all the time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #9 - 08/24/10 at 12:15:01

A fogged windshield is not something you want to be trying to squint through.  It is important that you are able to look over, even if you usually look through.  Personally, I like to look over all the time when I have the shield installed.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/24/10 at 12:39:16

No problem looking thru in our side x side either,.....mite have something to do w/ having a top on them to stopping reflections
bill67 wrote on 08/24/10 at 11:46:12:
I'm use to looking though windshields,I do in my car all the time.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/24/10 at 12:44:05

I've had three convertibles side windows down when I had top down,I do prefer looking through the windshield on motorcycle,My S40 didn't work out that way,but I have no problem either way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #12 - 08/24/10 at 19:38:01

ROUTY!
Thanks so much for asking the question - I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments.  I am having a windshield installed tomorrow and would NEVER have even thought about seeing over or through preferences, I'm just happy to have a bit of wind shear when I try the freeway over 60 mph again.    Cool

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 08/24/10 at 19:46:10

In my rides with my brother on borrowed bikes, I've ridden ones with both kinds of windshield: the taller, and the shorter.  My personal preference is the one that's just short enough to allow you to comfortably see over the top of it, about nose level as was stated.  The tall one's great at blocking wind, but if it's covered with bugs (as all bikes should be! Cheesy), it gets hard to see through, especially going into the sun. Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 08/24/10 at 22:23:27

I have my NationalCyle shield set so when I'm settled in for the long haul I'm looking through it but can comfortably see over it if I need to when I sit up straight. I've found I don't get tired near as quickly when most of the wind is going around me instead of into me. But then I tend to the many hour days on long trips. Glutton for punishment I guess.

As to reflections, I've never had a problem. I do have it tilted at a moderate angle though, going for the streamline approach.
"Resistance is futile".

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield --  look over or thru ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.