Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Motorycycle Cover? (Read 145 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Best Motorycycle Cover?
08/23/10 at 16:56:58

Hello all. I'm looking for a cover for my 2001 Savage. The bike has been garaged its whole life and I am the young lady's second owner. Picked her up this summer. I garaged it the whole summer as well. I decided to bring it to college with me, as I knew not riding it would kill me more than letting not live in the garage when not in use. I fully intended to get a cover ASAP. Just looking for some suggestions.

This one seemed pretty nice, but I figured I'd get some insight first. I don't what a fair price for a good quality cover is.

I'm from the St.Louis/Columbia Missouri. Day times can get pretty warm and humid into the middle of September. Occasional rain. Usually condensation in the morning, Oh also, I'm not looking to keep the bike here over the winter most likely. But I'd still like a quality all around cover.

http://www.chromeworld.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={aea4f7...;

I've noticed very small amounts of rust forming on some parts of the bike. This kills me, but I don't know if its from my negligence or if that just comes with washing a bike that's been sitting in a garage before I bought it for 5 years and letting it air dry. There's small amounts of it on the bolt covers to the sissy bar, tiny bits under the rubber of the leftside driver peg, some in the alan screws to the oil filter, and a tad where the rear view mirrors screw into the receivers. All replaceable parts thank goodness! I'm hoping this is all somewhat normal and not just from my abuse as a 1st bike owner. The previous owner kept it so pristine, but he also never rode it and kept it garaged for over half a decade.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Best Motorycycle Cover?
Reply #1 - 08/23/10 at 17:36:49

Hmm, well anyway if you have access to it, try to store it back in a garage for the winter. Remove the battery, fill the tank with fresh gas and add stable. After that just use an old sheet which will let it breath, prevent condensation, and keep the dust off.

As for now, any waterproof cover will do, but I suggest you remove it on sunny and windy days to dry out everything from the condensation.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/23/10 at 18:46:08

Wal mart has good enough covers for around $30

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 08/24/10 at 07:16:19

Nelson Rigg makes good covers. Shop around for a better price. I had one on my bike until it was destroyed by a piece of sanitation equipment last month.

After a few blizzards last winter, I think I'm going to buy this for the upcoming winter months. It has a floor!: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=593393

FSO
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 08/24/10 at 16:37:10

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I hope to order one by this weekend.

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #5 - 08/26/10 at 07:01:47

Shop on e-bay many on site.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 08/26/10 at 17:57:46

I did the same thing, taking my bike to college (i'm still there haha). I got a $20 walmart cover that works just great. only thing is, like a camping tent, anywhere it rests on any part of the bike, water will seep though. that hasn't been a problem because i haven't had rust appear at those spots. garaging it for the winter is good, but if you do want to keep it around for those nice days, could park it in a parking garage with the cover on if your school has those. depends on how far home is, where you go and if they let bikes park for free/in the hashed line areas.

as far as rust, its inevitable on the bike, but my advice is wax everything that could rust and isn't directly connected to the engine or exhaust. after a good wash of course. wax keeps little specks of dirt from holding moisture on the metal. and get some touchup paint for those little chips.

enjoy, you'll be the envy of everyone on campus!  Grin

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #7 - 08/26/10 at 18:36:11

I'll have to head down to the local wal-mart and check out what they have. There is a power sports shop in town, would they be over charging for the same thing you can get at wal-mart? Some things are you get what you pay for... others aren't Since I'm new to motorcycling... I'm still figuring out what falls into which category for this new passed time.   Wink

My friend may be getting a rental garage for his Ninja this winter. I've already talked to him about sharing it before the semester starts if that follows through. Mostly the purpose of the cover is to protect it from sunlight and morning condensation as I'll garage it over the cold months one way or the other.

Thanks for the waxing tip. Does that include the chrome such as the sissy bar? And yes, there are so many perks to having a bike on campus. Parking in the hatch marks and gawking sorority girls being only two.  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/26/10 at 20:22:36

if i were in any kind of weather I'd get something like this...

http://www.cycleshell.com/

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:20:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Motorycycle Cover?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.