Decent morning ride... (Read 91 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Decent morning ride...
08/26/10 at 15:23:17

So, being unemployed this entire summer you would think I would've had all sorts of time to rack up the miles. With 5 kids and a wife that has been picking up extra shifts to make ends meet beyond my unemployment it has been just the opposite. In fact, I only put in the 2nd tank of gas for all of 2010 about 1 week ago!

This morning I woke up about 7:00 to take care of getting my in-laws garbage to the curb since they are out of town and figured I should go for a ride. Made the short 2 mile ride to their place and took care of the necessary items then took off on a morning ride. (my wife had to leave for a class at 9:30 so I had to make sure I was going to be home before she left so I could watch the kiddos)

I roll out of their place and head along the frontage road that follows the superslab West for about 10 miles, from there I took a loop that goes up into the hills and back to my place. Last time I took this loop I thought it was only about 20 miles so I figured I would have plenty of time to make the trip. Enjoying the ride through the farmland and being thankfull for that windshield that I put on over the winter that was catching most of the bugs (actually I think one 2" taller might have been better this one goes to about my chin).

Been headed South for about 10 miles already and still no sign of the turn that will put me in the mountains that I recall  Huh I'm enjoying the peacefullness of the ride and just keep going. What a great feeling on a nearly deserted road that winds through the edge of the farmland and the base of a mountain  Cool Finally after going almost 20 miles South I come to the town where my turn is to head back over the pass.

Here the road becomes even more enjoyable. It twists and turns gently to a smooth rythem that I begin to enjoy and think that this would be one of the good rides to post as a video for others to enjoy if I had the right equipment. Finally I come to the crest of the hill where we usually go ride snowmobiles in the winter. I stop there and pull out my mug of coffee that I brought with me and enjoy a hot cup of joe  Smiley

Look at my watch and it's already 8:45, so I've got to boogie down the mountain to make sure the wife can leave for her class in time. Check my phone and send a quick text and the attached pic to the wife to let her know that I will be back soon.

To wrap it up, I made it down through the trees and back to the house @ 915 and she gave me a kiss and headed out the door. Total miles for the round trip that I thought was only about 20-30 miles was actually about 65 miles. Happens to be the furthest I have actually ridden ever in a single trip and makes me really wish that I was able to do this more often. Oh well, it was a beautiful ride, and I hope that I can do many more of these again real soon.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Re: Decent morning ride...
Reply #1 - 08/26/10 at 16:21:22

Awesome story, and great pic!   I took about an 3 hour ride to my parents house and back a couple weekends ago.  All backroads, very little traffic...just wonderful!

Jive

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/26/10 at 17:02:35

Very nice!  Always great to hear a good ride story, and a picture to boot!  Woohoo.  Good luck at getting some more miles in this year!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 08/26/10 at 18:31:46

Ahhh, the best kind of ride!  Just head out --wherever-- and sort of forget about the route, then before you know it, you rode twice as far as you thought.  I love those. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 08/26/10 at 19:30:26

EJID, so nice to hear you got the chance to ride. I do hope this chance comes along more often now..  Smiley kim

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #5 - 08/26/10 at 21:56:38

Pure awesome.  Cool

Here at college it's nice to get away from academics and the sons and daughters of whiney rich folk.  Wink

Once you get out of the main part of town, its winding back roads and farm land. The other evening I rode until I hit a small town with cobble stone streets. Turned around at a local gas station and headed back. Those 60-80 mile trips are amazing escapes.. almost the perfect distance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decent morning ride...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.