Send Topic Print
Cone type air filter (Read 209 times)
challman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cone type air filter
08/23/10 at 10:01:41

OK.  I put a cone type air filter on my savage.  I finally have all the oil leaks stopped except a very small one on the speedometer cable.  (I will use the O ring suggested in another subject.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31125779&l=1ea53b568e&id=1239887544

My questions are 2

I am really thinking about just eliminating the air box.  It irritates me how tight the carb is between the engine and battery.  So. I think I may buy a sealed type AGM battery and just move the battery box back as far as I can with the air box gone.  

Problem with that plan is I am having some problems visualizing this bike without the side covers over the air box.  Anyone seen anything like this done before?
Here is a pic of the bobber is it is now.  I am still cutting and changing.

And Last.   If I do eliminate the air box (and to some degree even if I don't...  What should I do with the crank case vent now that I am not using the box

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: Cone type air filter
Reply #1 - 08/23/10 at 10:59:35

im doing the exact same thing to my savage bobber.  it looks great without the airbox and side covers.  you just have to figure out where to put the CDI (under the seat will work depending on how you do yours.  as for the breather tube going to the crankcase.  just stick a small cone filter on the end of it.  any pep boys, VIP, autozone will carry it for $10.  the trick is to find a makeshift adapter that will alow you to stick the filter on the larger breather tube and clamp it down.  you can then cut the length of the hose to where you want it and zip tie it to the frame.  you can keep it short so the filter is in front of the carb or even have it past the battery box if you yank out the airbox.

the biggest hassle when yanking the airbox is cleaning up the electrical wiring so it looks open.  still working on that.  when im done with the project ill post the full build.  send me your email and ill send you a pic of what i got so far.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 08/23/10 at 11:26:43

Seen it? i've done it! kind of.

took off my tool box cover (OK OK! it fell off...) and used zip ties and electrical tape to mount the cdi suggly in there.

doesn't look nice cause i am lazy and don't have the finesse to make it look pretty.

i got my breather filter at autozone for about $7. i picked up two small hose clamps and a little hose adapter they had there for a few bucks each and it worked out really well, or has so far.

As for moving the battery, I haven't gotten that far yet. again, too lazy. BurnPGH has his bungee-corded into the frame resting at the back of the cradle resting on something or another.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 08/23/10 at 11:36:34

so... someone on this forum has done this exceedingly well. I think it was Jim (and the bike is Black Beauty maybe).

anyways, see, look, enjoy...

From what I understand (which isn't much, to be honest), he got a mini battery installed (search the forum for that one, i know there is a How To or something on it) and tucked it behind (or under?) that metal plate in the back. actually, it might be on the muffler support bracket....

--
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/23/10 at 11:36:50

If you can add a tube the same length or a little than the stock rubber ducky that connected the carb to the airbox, you'll find that it'll perform a little better.

ok, who put the mini battery under the swingarm?

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 08/23/10 at 11:54:26

verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/10 at 11:36:50:
If you can add a tube the same length or a little than the stock rubber ducky that connected the carb to the airbox, you'll find that it'll perform a little better.

Buggs:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1279357579/13#10
Wolfmrp:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1271123025/8#4
Boule'Tard (The original!):
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714/0

Well, Boule'Tard at least did. He has some great pics of it in that thread. the others i was guessing on where the battery went.

but you knew that...

--
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/23/10 at 12:54:54

Quote:
From what I understand (which isn't much, to be honest), he got a mini battery installed (search the forum for that one, i know there is a How To or something on it) and tucked it behind (or under?) that metal plate in the back. actually, it might be on the muffler support bracket....

the battery is a standard size and is installed in the right side saddle bag

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/23/10 at 13:28:29

spacepirates wrote on 08/23/10 at 11:54:26:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/23/10 at 11:36:50:

Well, Boule'Tard at least did. He has some great pics of it in that thread. the others i was guessing on where the battery went.

but you knew that...

yes I did, just didn't have time to post it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 11:10:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cone type air filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.