Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
New Projects
08/19/10 at 10:12:58

My future son in law had been bugging me about buying my bike. (had it up for sale for a while last year when I was fighting those stomach problems) Told him it wasn't for sale anymore so he went out and bought a '79 Yamaha 750 triple for $800. Not quite a basket case, but needs brakes, rotors, and carb work. (on a triple no less!) My son and I have been helping him for about a week now, when out of the blue my boy finds an '81 Suzuki GS650 for a couple hundred bucks and wants to know if I'll go look at it with him and help him fix it up! I think he just caught the bug!!!  Smiley It's not quite a Savage, but for the price, it'll do if it's not beyond our ability to fix. I guess I might have some built in riding buddies if we're not spending more time fixing them then riding them!  Grin

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: New Projects
Reply #1 - 08/19/10 at 10:29:49

Yep, those bugs are here too.  Look at it this way - its getting late in the season, so you might just have some winter fun!

Keep us posted!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #2 - 08/19/10 at 10:37:36

That's great  Southpaw. After a few years of not riding my son got a Yamaha R1 now he and I get the chance to ride together, it's great. We don,t ride as often as we want, but each ride is unique and different for us. Time well spent.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/22/10 at 19:43:59

After thinking about it, (and watching my future son-in-law miscalculate what his project might cost) my son has decided he has too much on his plate to try this right now. Besides, he gets to work and play on David's bike for free!
 VERY interesting bike that '79 triple. Twin front disc brakes, shaft drive and rear disc brake. triple cylinder with three carbs and two petcocks. Pretty bit of engineering for a 79! We got the tank pulled to be creme-coated and the front calipers off. The right one is toast and may need a rotor. Everything else seems much better than expected. Initial look of fuel system and carbs is MUCH better than I'd expected. This could be a lot of fun! Cool

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 08/22/10 at 20:18:29

I know how that goes, I just bought my 17 yr old a 83 Suzuki GS 450E. I had to adjust/clean/sync  the carbs and am waiting for parts to rebuild the forks. He wants to make a cafe racer out of it.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/10 at 10:47:17

Hey Southpaw,
www.yamaha-triples.org
I love mine, an 850 special.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 08/24/10 at 22:00:48

Thanks for thinking of me but the future S.I.L beat you to it. He found that site and signed up the day he got it home. That's how we found the manuals! He's got the fever. He'll be sitting on it making engine noises any day now! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:02:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Projects

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.