Not the belt... (Read 490 times)
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Not the belt...
08/18/10 at 05:04:09

Well after much more consideration, and listening to what the sound is that is coming from underneath me while shifting and decelerating, I am convinced, almost, that it is not the belt.  I can see how some might think it is, it does sound like one slipping, but the noise really sounds like it is coming from the right side.

I bought this bike thinking that the owner was trying to hid something.  I know that it is probably a stupid thing to go ahead and buy when you have a real gut feeling on something, but I wanted the bike.  Cosmetically it is in great condition.  Unfortunately, a great looking bike wont get you too far. lol.  The first clue I had was how full the engine was of oil.

So I am going to guess, wild stab here, that the noise is clutch slippage.  I am not an expert, nor have I ever had this problem, so I might be completely off base.  But the noise is coming from that spot.  It only comes when I shift, or decelerate, and general only when I am travelling at high speeds.  It may have happened some before at low speed so I cannot rule it out.  It however does not happen at all in first gear, and if I time the clutch release just right it wont happen in any of the other gears.  However, I cannot make it not happen in 5th gear.  It always happens in that one.

Anyone have any comments, solutions, advise?  I am thinking someone put the wrong oil in at some point and it is what is causing it.  Would some good motorcycle detergent oil put in, driven for a while, changed, and then done over a couple of times clean the clutch of the antistickeries (lol).  Or am I looking at a gear issue?  At this point I am now just throwing darts out there so I think I will shut up and let you all talk back.  Thanks!!!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Not the belt...
Reply #1 - 08/18/10 at 05:59:36

Quote:
The first clue I had was how full the engine was of oil.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Over filling the oil may be common on these bikes. I for one, keep the oil to the low line while on the side stand..... the front wheel turned hard right. This will show overfilled when held up straight, and doesn't hurt a thing,.......in 2,000 miles anyway.

If the clutch was slipping, you should know it,....as it would slip under full power,.......kinda like the engine would rev up, the the speedo wouldn't ??

If the oil bothers you, change it to Rotella T,....not that its any better than any other, but it is the most popular here.

I have belt screech lots of the time, specially when cold. And belt wear (none) shows perfect alignment. Over full, belt squeek, and backfire.. is part of my perfect bike Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #2 - 08/18/10 at 06:40:56

Maybe so.  I mean I am not an expert, so it could in deed be the belt slipping, it is just that the sound comes from the right and not the left of the bike.  I do plan on switching oil, and doing a couple of good changes in the next couple thousand miles.  I will ride and average of 500+ miles a month as long as there is not snow or ice on the ground.

The rpm's do not rev while underway at all.  So maybe that is a good sign huh.  At first I was seriously concerned with maybe it being the cam chain doing something crazy, but after studying the symptoms of cam chain wear it doesn't seem plausible.

Its a nice, fun bike to ride.  I just hope to get at least 3 years from it, or around 10,000 miles.  If I can do that then I will feel like I have gotten my money out of it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/18/10 at 07:30:16

So what noise are you hearing? a squeal? a clunk? a grind? chain dragging on metal?

The drive pull can clunk when loose.
the belt will squeal when out of alignment or wet.
a loose cam chain can drag or grind
or an ovaled tensioner can clack or tick
valves can tick

and I heard a new sound the other day,
tick, tick, tick... didn't know what it was...
till my tire went flat.   Angry
the nail was hitting the fender until it was driven in.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/18/10 at 10:43:32

Best way to find out, is to spray the belt with something (chain wax, wd40, Vaseline) and see if the sound changes...
Then you'll know...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/18/10 at 10:44:32

NH, I too kept hearing a rattle/squeal/something coming from the right side of the bike. Kept turning my head to try and figure out what was going on and where it was coming from.
I'd played with the belt tensioners and now have it just about perfectly aligned and at the right tension but I was still getting this crazy noise...finally I took some parrafin wax and rubbed it on the edges of the drive belt...all gone.
If you try it you may find that the sound is actually bouncing around somehow so that it seems to come from the right.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #6 - 08/18/10 at 12:04:49

The sound is a "whine", not a squeal, or a tick, or a rattle.  It is very comparable to holding the end of a cordless drill chuck and tightening it down on a bit or something.  Not the sound that the torque device makes, but the sound of an increased load on the drill motor.  It is NOT the exact same sound, but hopefully you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 08/18/10 at 15:51:39

Does sound like the clutch to me. If motor was run with too much oil for too long clutch plates may have glazed. Particularly if, as mine did, the hub nut has loosened.

I'd pull the clutch and take a look.

Re-assembly can be managed without special tools if you jam the primary drive gears witha copper coin and re-assemble first with stacks of washers to tension the springs instead of the pressure plate. This will allow you to do up the hub nut to something approaching the specced torque. Bend up the lock washer against  both sides of a corner rather than a flat - this will allow you to get it snug enough to stop the nut loosening at all in future.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #8 - 08/18/10 at 16:32:23

it is so hard to describe noises in words, but my bike makes a kinda whirring sound (like the drill noise you described) some times, i think when down shifting from high speeds. its not consistent, so its hard to pin down. i'm not sure where it comes from but sounds like the right side too. that said, i'm pretty certain that it is coming from front belt pulley as a result of the engine speed being mismatched with the road speed and putting extra force on the belt. kinda like putting increased load on a drill. the noise could be coming from internal parts too like gears, but i don't think mine is the clutch.
are you matching your engine speed when you shift?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 08/18/10 at 16:40:37

One quick and easy check is disconnecting the speedo cable which can produce and interesting sound; but too much oil can have clutch issues.  Keep us posted on trials and results.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #10 - 08/19/10 at 11:29:19

I will try the different ways of diagnosis, but I am still not convinced on the belt.  I have narrowed it down a little more as far as things that happen.  It does not make the sound in first gear at all.  In second it is a little, third through fifth is the whiners.  In third gear if I wrap it up to a high rpm and then let it coast down, like pulling in a parking lot or something, then it will make the sound until I pull in the clutch handle.  It only makes it on deceleration and not acceleration.  It is not intermittent when there is a load on the engine.  

Hopefully this information will help diagnose the situation more.  When I get time I will try the other things.  I was talking with a guy I work with and he made it clear that he absolutely did not know anything about motorcycle clutches, but that on a car when it makes that noise it is the throwout bearing.  I have no experience with either car or motorcycle clutches so maybe someone else that does with both can chime in.  Thanks again guys.

IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #11 - 08/19/10 at 12:03:11

Maybe not clutch but transmission??  Anyone had theirs go out before?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 08/19/10 at 13:14:38

All the gears in the transmission are straight-cut gears, as is the primary gearing (engine to clutch). Maybe all you are hearing is normal gear whine, as these transmissions are far from silent. That would also explain why it sounds different in different gears, or under load versus coasting down.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/19/10 at 13:30:13

Put some Sea Foam in it to clean the clutch and motor out,Then put in the best Synthetic motorcycle oil you can afford nothing lighter than 10w-40w I prefer 15-50 myself.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 08/19/10 at 20:17:02

What - am I the only one willing to risk the ire of bill67? The Sea Foam is, based on its ingredient list and the small amount used, unlikely to do anything useful to "clean the clutch and motor out." The basic Savage/S40 does not need synthetic oil, either. If you feel the need to clean out the engine and clutch, change the oil a time or two at short intervals (500 miles or so) using any 10w-40 oil. Shell Rotella has a good reputation in motorcycle use, either in conventional 15w-40 or synthetic 5w-40. bill67 will tell you not to use a diesel oil, but Shell Rotella also has the motorcycle ratings, so he is just blowing smoke. And no, I do not own any Shell stock.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not the belt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.