Send Topic Print
Not the belt... (Read 490 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Not the belt...
Reply #15 - 08/20/10 at 03:36:48

Theres a lot of oils with motorcycle ratings,Their called motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 08/20/10 at 08:04:57

Charon wrote on 08/19/10 at 20:17:02:
What - am I the only one willing to risk the ire of bill67?  

Nah, its just a broken record that you eventually just stop playing... LOL

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 08/20/10 at 08:10:59

Are you taking about Charons broken record?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #18 - 08/20/10 at 08:30:14

Ok, ok...I am new on here but I have done enough looking around to tell that it's all fun and games till someone gets their eye poked out.

Seriously though thanks for the info.  I had thought about the seafoam, however it is true that just putting a small amount in would do nothing, and too much would do more harm than good.  I think if you could figure out the right amount and the right time to leave it in it definitly would do something to help clean residuals.  

I do not know if I will go the synthetic route however.  I would rather change my oil more often then not have to, which IS the benifit to running synthetic.  It is a well known fact that the biggest adjantage to synthetics is they take longer to break down.  Seeing how I feel like there is something up with the current oil inside, I want to try and get it all out.  That will require multiple oil changes and conventional oil is not going to break down quicker than I will be changing it.  

I will let you guys know the outcome.  I am really hoping that it is just normal gear noise though.  Please chime in if anyone has ever had this and it didn't turn out to be normal noise.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 08/20/10 at 08:57:18

You are absolutely correct, Piglet. It IS a broken record, and I would be more than happy to never play it again. But I feel guilty just sitting by and letting misinformation go unchallenged, especially to new folks on the Forum.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 08/20/10 at 09:21:18

See Charon goes on with his broken record playing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/20/10 at 09:35:18

I think the other advantage of sythetic is ability to withstand higher heat before it loses its lubricating abilities.
That is best advantage for us IMO.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 08/20/10 at 16:53:27

Tell me more about overfilled oil causes clutch issues.
Mine was overfilled when I bought it used. And due to the stupid way of checking oil, mine is always overfull because I check it on the side stand, and I haven't had any clutch issues in 5500 miles.

As for the noise issues, I would bet all the noises you're hearing are normal.
What are you running for a windshield ?The size shape and design of a windshield can make a huge difference in the noises you will hear.

When I first got my bike, I rode w/ no windshield, and a full helmet. I'm tellin ya my engine was quiet.......not a sound. Then I went to a 1/2 helmet, and I wondered if the valves needed adjusting, or if the pistons were swapping holes. Then a little later I bought a small wind shield, and the noise was magnified a little. Then a week or 3 ago, I put on a Falcon fairing type windshield, and that magnified the engine noise even more. These engines are not quiet if you are able to hear them. And there is a lot of different noises at different speeds and RPMs

Quit worryin about it so much, and do more ridin.
Trippah wrote on 08/18/10 at 16:40:37:
One quick and easy check is disconnecting the speedo cable which can produce and interesting sound; but too much oil can have clutch issues.  Keep us posted on trials and results.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/20/10 at 17:06:14

Routy wrote on 08/20/10 at 16:53:27:
Mine was overfilled when I bought it used. And due to the stupid way of checking oil, mine is always overfull because I check it on the side stand, and I haven't had any clutch issues in 5500 miles.

I'm not surprised.

WWW   IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #24 - 08/20/10 at 17:37:04

verslagen1 wrote on 08/20/10 at 17:06:14:
Routy wrote on 08/20/10 at 16:53:27:

I'm not surprised.

Not sure about this???  

You might have hit the nail on the head with the windshield.  It does magnify the sounds.  Not sure what brand it is, but I like it.  It is pretty big and definitly does magnify engine sounds.  I do hope the noise is normal, but I am pretty sure it is not the belt.  It might indeed be the front pulley though.

I have been out of town, and won't be able to check till I get home, but doing some reading and it may be the nut is loose on the front pulley?

I am not "worried" about the noise as such.  But if it is an indication of something going wrong I would like to nip it in the butt.  I am not a weekend rider only, I use the bike for my transportation back and forth to work.  I need it to last a while.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #25 - 08/21/10 at 17:07:27

I think we're pretty safe in assuming that it is probably normal gear noise. like i said, mine does something similar and i don't see it as an issue. the windshield probably is whats making it louder and hard to track down the noise. if it starts to get worse or there is a physical effect along with it (vibration, shuttering, etc) then you might want to look further into it. go and check the belt pulley too, just for sh!ts.

I hate these oil/seafoam wars that get started on here, but i think it would be wise to change your oil just as a precaution. if you want to use seafoam or some other cleaner, use the recommended amount on the bottle. it couldn't hurt, right? seafoam is good because you can put it in the oil or gas. do that a little before you change it. i wouldn't want to ride with watered down oil for too long. then replace it with some good synthetic with an API rating equal to or higher than the manual says - thats the letter rating, not the SAE weight. if you really want to do it right, use mobil 1 or high performance motorcycle oil. i change mine every 2000 miles now and the filter every 4000.

Good luck!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
nathanhooper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!
 Seriously...

NorthWest Arkansas
Reply #26 - 08/22/10 at 07:02:04

The only piece of the puzzle I do not have is how the bike felt new.  I mean, I could just keep an ear out for the sound getting louder, and more vibration, but I have no clue as to what the bike sounded and felt like from factory.  I have thought about going and test ridding a new one just to get an idea, but then you have the issue of not every bike is made the same.  I thought there was a little excess vibration when I fist started ridding it, but how do you tell if there is?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 08/22/10 at 08:44:25

There is some normal vibration on these bikes. They are a big single, with about the same piston displacement as one cylinder of a Chrysler 5.2 V8 (318). It is impossible to perfectly counterbalance a single cylinder engine without at least two counterbalance shafts, and these have only one. Add to that the power "pulse" generated each time the cylinder fires, and there is no way to avoid some felt vibration. The  stock handlebars are rubber mounted, which helps, as are the pegs.  Just think of it as the "character" of the bike. And remember vibration tends to loosen things, so check the hardware every so often.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 08/22/10 at 08:46:06

buttgoat1 wrote on 08/20/10 at 09:35:18:
I think the other advantage of sythetic is ability to withstand higher heat before it loses its lubricating abilities.
That is best advantage for us IMO.

Hi performance synthetic will with stand higher heat,And you will have less wear to the engine and transmission,And will make it slightly quieter.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 08/22/10 at 09:54:51

nathanhooper wrote on 08/22/10 at 07:02:04:
The only piece of the puzzle I do not have is how the bike felt new.  I mean, I could just keep an ear out for the sound getting louder, and more vibration, but I have no clue as to what the bike sounded and felt like from factory.  I have thought about going and test ridding a new one just to get an idea, but then you have the issue of not every bike is made the same.  I thought there was a little excess vibration when I fist started ridding it, but how do you tell if there is?

Yes a new bike is great for comparison, but changes are subtle and you probably won't notice till it becomes unbearable.
vibrations in the foot pegs tend to be the lower motor mounts, torque them to 50 ftlbs
if you start feeling a sharp vibration in the hand grips, check the upper motor mounts.  might even hear a metallic click.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not the belt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.