Bike suggestions.... (Read 321 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Bike suggestions....
Reply #15 - 08/18/10 at 01:55:01

Ive got to agree(from experiance) that haveing dirt experiance does translate into an advantage when switching to street. Especialy when you have to get off onto a gravel road or ride when its wet. You 'feel' the bike more, what its doing under you.

Get him a ninja or rebel 250 BBH or a EN 500 or ninja 500 if he wants to hang with mom n dad. Id say most of his times going to be solo or with friends instead. Its just a fact of life with teenagers. They may love mom n dad but running with them is 'Lame.'....lol

Of course this is the perfect opportunity for YOU to upgrade. Give him your ride and move up to a C50 or S50. Grin

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 08/18/10 at 05:37:15

Well, the verdict is in -- he wants a cruiser!  I knew I was right, but hubby was thinking about the little boy, I was thinking of the boy-turning-man!  haha  

Anyway, was out last night, and spotted an '89 Yamaha Virago 750 sitting by the road for sale.  Its pretty rough, but the guy is only asking $650 OBO.  I bet we can get it for $500.  Son called and the owner has been working on it for a while, it needs some more work, but its running, he just wants rid of it.  Needs painted, etc, lots of TLC.  Good sized bike.  They will meet the owner at 5:00 today.

My other son (biological from first marriage) is 19 and wants one too, but his dad has not come around on the idea yet.  He actually had several dirt bikes as a kid.  Step-son has ridden dirt bikes a little, but more 4-wheeler experience.  I will worry about either of them riding, but I'm learning to "release the reigns".  They aren't my little boys any more.  Scuze me while I wipe a tear...  

SO!  Who owned a Virago?  Hubby had a 750 Vulcan, looks basically the same to me.... but what do I know.  

And yea, Wolfman, this bike I would definitely try out.  I've looked at C50's (love the M50 more!) but I'm still leary of a heavier bike.  Plus, I love my S40!  My dream is to have a Triumph America or Speedmaster...  drool...     

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #17 - 08/18/10 at 05:49:50

Babyhog,

Whoops, I must have been typing while you posted - anyway the small vulcan 500 is a good MC. It will work for his size, my son rode one while he was in high school, and still occasionally rides it during the summer.

Does your son have a (legal) place to ride off road? If not that aspect of a motorcycle is at best wasted and at worst a temptation that he won't be able to resist.

Even with that available, I wonder how much switching between off/on road riding a new rider will do.

With a dedicated road bike he will be much more comfortable and imho likely to ride on the road. I agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation not to start on a high-powered sport bike. The Ninja 250 is not overpowered, and may even be a little underpowered - not a bad thing. Most of the smaller cruisers fall into this category. Plus the Ninja will get great gas mileage and it will look enough like it's big brothers that most new young riders will be OK with it's looks. He's not so tall that he will look really awkward on it.

With a dedicated off road bike, again imho, he will be better able to keep up with other riders off road, and less likely to push his equipment past the limits trying to keep up and thereby break something (most likely himself).

As you already know, a road bike isn't suitable for off roading, and an offroad bike isn't suitable for riding on highways. Since a dual sport is trying to be both, they tend to be unsuitable for both. If all he is going to do is ride around town, and on the neighbors back lot, a dual sport is probably ideal, otherwise, I think that choosing one or the other will result in a better experience as a first MC.

Watch the seat height on dual sports and off road bikes.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/18/10 at 09:08:36

I have heard the the Honda Ascot would be a good streetbike with some dirt road ability.  I looked at one before I got Betty and think it would be a pretty good bike.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #19 - 08/18/10 at 12:09:55

Viragos are supposed to be decent bikes but im told they have a real problem with the stator going out on them.
Big differance between the vulc and virago.
Vulcans have a pretty good following and reputation.

For a beginner the ninja 250 or 500 the rebel 250 or vulcan 500 are hard to beat. SV650 as well. Another SB is the Katana 600.

I did a LOT of research before i got back to rideing and i was looking hard for a Vul 500. At the time they were HIGH and my s40 came along at a VERY good deal.
Now the vul 500 can be picked up at a pretty good price with the economy in the tank. Rock solid engine, its had a long run just as the LS650/S40 has so its pretty dependable.

Pick up a late model for 2500 or so easy and ive seen a few as low as 2000. Mid to late 90s model will run 1500 and up with low miles.
2 localy with right around 1000 miles for about 2800.
Down side is little after market just like for the savage.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/18/10 at 13:26:37

A co-worker has a KLR that he rides on the freeway every work day, and off road in the AZ desert on the weekends. It is stronger and quicker than my Savage, snd seems to be bullet proof. I would love to have one but you got to be sporting a 32inch inseam and mine is about 26 Smiley

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/18/10 at 13:35:00

if the Virago is already having problems, they'll probably continue, but if it's cheap enough it might be worth it, if you want your son to learn wrenching and the pride in that as well are riding, but if your son just wants to ride and not worry about wrenching then I'd avoid a older bike that is already showing problems as it might just end up as a really expensive lawn ornament Sad

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 08/18/10 at 14:43:47

Thanks guys!  I really do honestly appreciate the comments!!

We stopped to look at the Virago.  Its rough looking.  Not worried about cosmetics, paint, etc is easy enough.  I'm thinking its a "no" at this point, although he said he'd go as low as $450.  Front tire leaks, back tire looked dry-rotted, so that's $350-$400 for tires.  He said he was working on the carbs, said something about the floats needing fixed, the bowls don't fill up equally... carb talk, he might as well have been speaking French.  Said the top end may need replaced.  There was also some really sooty looking black stuff at the end of the clutch line.  Don't know what that was.  He didn't either.  It didn't sound bad though, and started fairly easily.  He said he has the repair manual, and it covers 1981-1999, so that's a wide spread for replacement parts.  Clear title too.  Pinwall has tons of stuff for them.  Even new motor, tranny, for about $300.  

Anyhoo, this was a good first one to look at to get some basis to go on.  There's an auction house that I'm gonna go visit tomorrow morning. Might find something interesting there.  Mostly salvage, but you never know!  Might find something really cheap worth working on.  I do think wrenching is a good way to learn AND APPRECIATE a bike, and would be fun over the winter....

Vulcan 500 I agree would be a wonderful choice.  When I bought my S40, there was a nice one for sale that I looked at several times, but settled on the S40.  Would love to find one cheap enuf.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #23 - 08/18/10 at 17:13:05

Well I think babyhog oughtta check with spacepirates and that VLX.. sure I bag on it pretty good, but it is still a solid and reliable bike w/good balance of suitability for beginner ..and potential for rowdy teenage fun.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #24 - 08/18/10 at 17:55:30

Boule’tard wrote on 08/18/10 at 17:13:05:
Well I think babyhog oughtta check with spacepirates and that VLX.. sure I bag on it pretty good, but it is still a solid and reliable bike w/good balance of suitability for beginner ..and potential for rowdy teenage fun.  Cheesy

HA!  Already did that!  He said he'd let me know if he decides to sell...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/18/10 at 19:48:08

Rode spacepirates vlx today. Gotta say...I wasnt too impressed. It was quiet, super smooth, comfy, a little buzzy for me. It also was not nearly as nimble as the savage. Not even a close. It felt like it was fighting me to turn. AND you cant adjust the handlebar angle...WTFs with that? Comparing it to the savage is like comparing a cadillac with a ww2 jeep. I prefer the jeep. Only thing about it that stirred my soul was the looks and the price he got it for.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #26 - 08/18/10 at 20:26:38

Keep in mind he's going to want to jump on and ride unless he's a real tool jockey.
Myself id run really fast away from that virago! Im a tool jockey, basicly a certified mechanic and used to working on equipment on the farm. I wouldnt touch that virago with YOUR money let alone mine.

To bad your not nearer, lot of yamaha 650s around here at decent prices now. Some good prices on Vulc 750s and the odd 800 as well.

As to auctions if you have a friend as a dealer they can find some REALLY GOOD prices on auctioned bikes and im not talking salavge. Repos ect are the norm.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 08/18/10 at 20:40:36

I keep clear of Yahama bike becouse they use brush type altenators.  Most bikes use permant magnets.   That is why their rotors burn out.   I've had three  and  guess what

All Three Burned out their Roters ,    And you would not believe what  Yahama want for new ones !

I'm not saying they doin't work for a while but ,  tic toc tic toc tic toc   its going to happen !

Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #28 - 08/18/10 at 22:50:52

I have not waded in on this subject ,but this time I have to agree with
Wolfman he will hate the Virago within a week, before my hand injory
I had the 250 Ninja, A fantastic little bike,it will keep up with his friends and his Mom and Dad.and it handles like a dream ,you can lay that baby way over on turns and it's like poop to a blanket,like you are on rails. It retains it's value very well,like all bikes the cleaner you keep it the more the value.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #29 - 08/19/10 at 12:18:12

"Like Poop to a Blanket" Mick??
Thats a new one to me...lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 15:31:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bike suggestions....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.