Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
oil?? (Read 928 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: oil??
Reply #60 - 08/17/10 at 06:16:35

Buck, I like your idea of using the cam chain tensioner as an overall wear indicator. But for it to work, one would have to measure the extension on the bike very early its life - ideally before the first start, then at every service interval. Because of build tolerances the extension may not be the same on any two new bikes, so the first measurement would be the zero point.

Your comment on bike life was also interesting. I read an article claiming the average life on a motorcycle, from showroom to salvage yard, was about 10K miles. Yes, I know they will run much longer. The short average comes from use patterns. Average bikes get no more than 1-2K per year, riding short distances on nice weekends during nice weather. It takes five or six years to wear out the first tire, during which time the bike depreciates rapidly. The first tire wears out and the owner takes the bike in for a new one and a service. He is stunned by the bill, which will be several hundred dollars. It takes another five years, and another few thousand miles, to wear out the second rear tire and the front, and likely brake pads. At this point the shop charge for both tires, another service, brake pads, and so on is quite near the book value of the bike. Now the bike is ten years old, needs expensive work, and isn't worth much. What happens? Remember that not a lot of people actually work on their vehicles any more.

I also liked your point about anecdotal evidence on oil quality. That is the same sort of evidence that exists about fuel and oil additives. I have been unable to find any sort of controlled tests of any of the additives of any sort. I figure if the makers could actually devise a test, have it performed by a reputable testing facility, show their products work, and publish the results they would have done so. Absent those tests, I conclude the products do not work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #61 - 08/17/10 at 06:26:41

When you buy a new motorcycle,the first thing you should do is tear it all down and make sure it meets all specs,If it don't take it back to the dealer and tell him you want a new bike that meets specs,When you get the new bike tear it all down to be sure it meets specs. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 08/17/10 at 12:09:17

Bill, how about buy a new bike, perform the routine maintenance on it and adjust the valves whenever they rack up the miles to need it.

Oh, that's right -- you buy magical oil.   That means you jest don't DO any of that routine maintenance/adjustment stuff and you jest trust the magic to keep you going.

Hate to say it old bud, but so far your oil hasn't shown us any magic properties, it is just the SAME SAME as other good oils.   No magic.  No zero wear.   It is all in your head, you simply want to believe the incredible claims because you desperately NEED to.

Your exhaust valves are out of tolerance by several thousandths of an inch.

Your bike is running sub-par and it has for years now.   But you will never know that because you NEVER adjust your valves, tune your air screw, etc. etc.

My bike runs a lot better with a correct (minimal lash) valve clearance and a properly tweaked air screw.  Acceleration over the entire range is a lot better and the throttle response is a lot crisper.  

You should try it -- it is well worth the minimal effort.

==========================

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #63 - 08/17/10 at 13:52:26

So far no one has tried Klotz so you don't know anything about a good oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.