Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: oil??
Reply #45 - 08/16/10 at 00:52:00

Seriously, all teasing aside,  Klotz is good oil that was developed out of a very real racing two stroke tradition base.    

Hard use stuff, them full bore dirt racing two stroke oils ....  

They use the same tricks in their four stroke stuff, but so what?  Combustion aside, you are lubing gears and cylinder walls and anything that is going to survive a combustion explosion and still lube your stuff good is pretty much heat proof enough for me.

Best I hope for is SAME SAME in a low performance Savage engine, really all we need is a good dino oil anyway in a bone stock Savage.

And you know, I may jest lose this little erl war, depends on the data whats a growing up over in the holler over there in them Kaliforia hills.  

If Klotz pulls a few degrees less delta on the average on both the head and oil temps (jest plain runs cooler) Bill will win.

and then he'll get to be the ugly hillbilly on top ....

....  squeeeeeeeee fer me, city boy !!!!

(but he will always have to pay 3 times as much for the privilege)   Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #46 - 08/16/10 at 05:30:37

Oldfeller, you might want to be real careful. Bill67 just took great pains to inform me his username is bill67, not Bill. I'd hate to have you offend him.

As you know and we on a four-stroke forum tend to forget, there are considerable differences in the oil needs of two- and four-stroke engines. Oil for the two-stroke doesn't need a dispersant package, nor an acid-fighting package, nor an anti-oxidant package, because it goes in, lubes the engine, sort-of burns, and exits. It is one-pass lubrication, pretty much. It does need a solvent package to keep it mixed with the fuel when used as a pre-mix. The two-stroke literally gets an oil change every time it turns over. Be it noted that the two-stroke motorcycle does have a transmission, and a clutch, and those need  oil. That oil does not have to withstand combustion by-products, but they usually use an ordinary motor oil anyway.

I rather doubt that any brand of oil is greatly superior to any other. They are all designed to do pretty much the same job, using the same available ingredients. And generally speaking, no modern oil needs any after-market additives to do its job.

Motorcyclists like to think the engines on their bikes are very demanding - even finicky - about their oils. Especially the air-cooled ones. But I suspect the ordinary Briggs & Stratton on the ordinary lawn mower has a more demanding job, running as it does wide-open for hours under a considerable load down low in the dirt and dust. Those engines use gear driven camshafts (same gear shearing load on the oil as a transmission) and sliding cam followers just like the Savage. The only truly special item on the motorcycle is the wet clutch. I can't help but wonder whether the wet clutch should be segregated away from the engine oil and run in a bath of ATF.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #47 - 08/16/10 at 05:44:46

Did you ever drive a snowmobile in 1 foot of snow for 20 miles wot its turning full rpm under a heavy load,You need a real oil for that or the engine will blow.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #48 - 08/16/10 at 06:39:33

Few if any 4 stroke engines will run at WOT (no sp limiter) for 20 minutes, no matter what kind of oil is in it ! If you don't believe it, try it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 08/16/10 at 08:33:41

It's jest yer typical list erl war,  jest the boys a' foolin' round wid each other ....

Hold still, now .... we gotta get this twisted chunk of wild growing data outta ya .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #50 - 08/16/10 at 08:50:13

My daughter's Savage went through at least 3 previous owners when we got it at 11,500 miles. Maintenance history was a mystery. I suspect the maintenance was not that good as the clutch was on its way out due to use of an energy-conserving oil. At 12,400 miles the cam chain adjuster was out 19.5 mm and we did the VerSlavy mod.

I've got a couple of questions for you, bill67: Have you used Klotz from the beginning? How does your cam chain adjuster extension compare to ours? Have you had to VerSlavy it yet? Thanks for responding.

I will confirm that higher mileage Savages use oil. At 15K+ miles it's using it at the rate of 1 quart/1500 miles. There are no leaks and no visible smoke out the exhaust.  I just keep topping it off. With this rate of consumption I'm going to push my oil change interval to 3750 miles per the owners manual as it's getting a continual supply of fresh oil (does that make it a 3-stroke engine?). By comparison my Bandit uses maybe .3 quart/2500 miles.

« Last Edit: 08/16/10 at 22:07:42 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #51 - 08/16/10 at 09:43:30

I used suzuki oil from 500 miles to 1100 then Klotz,Im not worried about the cam chain or adjusting the valves,My wifes 1980 gn 400 single went 25000 with nothing done to it then it was traded in.My s40 hasn't used any oil the last 3000 miles almost 5900 on it now,

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 08/16/10 at 09:48:18

Routy wrote on 08/16/10 at 06:39:33:
Few if any 4 stroke engines will run at WOT (no sp limiter) for 20 minutes, no matter what kind of oil is in it ! If you don't believe it, try it.

I'm talking about 2 cycle snowmobile.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 08/16/10 at 17:46:16

Bill,

How many years have you had the bike now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #54 - 08/16/10 at 18:36:44

Almost 3 year

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #55 - 08/16/10 at 21:50:59

bill67, my point in asking about the extension on your cam chain adjuster was to use it as a measure of how good that Klotz is doing lubricating your engine. When you get to 12,400 miles please measure the extension. If it's a lot less than 19.5 mm, then maybe Klotz is a great oil. But maybe not, because your bike and mine make only two data points. That's not exactly statistically significant. That's the big problem with all this oil war business. It's mostly anecdotal -- "I use oil such-and-such and it works great", but such statements do not constitute proof. It would take a statistican and a controlled trial involving a large number of data points to do that. In the absence of further information, I'll keep to Suzuki's call-out of an oil that meets or exceeds 10W40 API classification SG at the best price I can find.

A thought for you all. Anyone expecting to ride a Savage/S40 for more than 30,000 miles? Probably not many. I expect most would agree that after 30,000 miles the bike would be worth next to nothing. Say you change the oil every 2,000 miles. That's 15 oil changes. Boutique oil versus econo oil - difference is about $15 each oil change. That's $225. Compare that to at least a $4000 loss in depreciation and tires and registration fees/taxes and, of course, insurance. It's not a big deal either way assuming either oil gets you to that end point which is likely.

« Last Edit: 08/17/10 at 04:50:51 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 08/16/10 at 23:57:59

Buck I don't think you read bill's reply's.
He's done 5,000 miles in 3 years, and has 6k total.
3 years from now he'll have 11k, 6 years, 16k, 9 years, 21k.
In 15 years, bill may have a great testimonial for klotz.

And I don't get your second point, I have a '96 with 46k and an '88 with it's second engine from a like miled 'o2.  What did I pay for both? $2000.  I wasn't committed to Syn oil until late in the '96's life.  both have verslavies.  At this point, I would recommend new cam chains at 50k.  Theres no sense to stretching it further.  unless you got a super SS chain.

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #57 - 08/17/10 at 00:19:25

Wesson cooking oil with no trans-fats

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 08/17/10 at 01:07:40

By his own words, Bill has NEVER even adjusted his valves and he never works on his bike to perform mods, etc.  

He rides it less than 2,000 miles a year because he has a really very short riding year up there in the Great Lakes area, that I can certainly understand.

So, I doubt you are gonna get any usable comparative wear information from Bill ever because as he has said he runs them until they get funky acting then he sells them.

Considering this world view, buying the very most expensive best premium oil he can find and "trusting" it to give him minimal wear is all Bill can do for his bike, so he's a doing it.

But to claim "zero wear" on a bike you've never even worked on is a bit much --- how would you ever know?

============================

Roll Bill's bike back in your mind to this level of use -- he's still running his original rear tire.  Hey, he may even still have his stock brake pads on the front wheel.  

His bike is still a puppy.

At that age level my bike didn't use any oil either, not for another 5,000 miles on top of that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #59 - 08/17/10 at 04:14:54

1st year only put on 800 miles which was only about 3 months because I was waiting 2 1/2 months for a windshield,I don't like riding without a big windshield,This year isn't over yet.Put new brake pads on at 100 miles,Rear tire is almost bald Bike waiting for me to replace the tire had tire for 6 month.Had several bikes go around 30000 miles and never had to adjust the valves.Valves need adjusting because of wear,So don't use cheap oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.