Send Topic Print
oil?? (Read 928 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: oil??
Reply #15 - 08/14/10 at 05:41:17

jspace I think you can see that people here use rotella oil because its cheap,People here also have a lot of cam chain problems.Stick with a motorcycle oil,not a diesel oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #16 - 08/14/10 at 07:08:36

Can you mix oil?

Say I've got a left over quart of Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10W-40 and a gallon of Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 08/14/10 at 07:25:36

Bill,

Bill here is good for a humorous one liner that hits your funny bone pretty good, but he is a strongly partisan oil warrior who will spread some disinformation out to a newbie just to get a rise out of the rest of us.

The simple truth is, avoid energy star car oils as they can cause your clutch to slip

Stay with a last number of 40w or greater.   First numbers vary from 10 when you go synthetic because synthetics don't get thick when they are cold.  This number helps with winter cold starts and is pretty much meaningless in summer as you engine oil gets hot within about 3 minutes after you start riding (and the second number takes over).

Motorcycle JASO rated oils are preferred but not necessary

Synthetic oils in a stock Savage motor are not necessary

Synthetic oils in a high performance Savage motor may be preferred for heat bullet proofness, but it is not strictly necessary if oil changes are done relatively "frequently".    

For example, before Rotella Syn 5w40 oil was invented the standard white jug dino Rotella T 15w40 oil was the preferred performance bike oil on a lot of the crotch rocket boards (for a lot of years too).   Ditto for the Gold Wing boards, Rotella T was touted by the Wing boys as "best oil/at best price too"  and they were instrumental in getting Shell to test it for JASO and for Shell to pay to get it rated so on the jug.  

(kudos to them Honda GoldWing boys for being all stubborn & persistent)

==============================

Parisan information

(firing a 338 Laupa Magnum sniper rifle with a 170 grain pure truth match grade information at Bill's fuzzy fraudulent statements)

Rotella T and T-6 synthetic ARE motorcycle oils that carry BOTH of the JASO motorcycle ratings right on the jug.   For Bill to allude otherwise is disinformation and he knows it .....

Yep, your cam chain is gonna stretch some and only ZDDP has shown to have any preventive effect on that (Society of Automotive Engineers rates ZDDP as the "primary and best oil additive ever found to stop galling and premature wear due to oil film failure").  

Rotella products have as much as can be put in oil by today's standards of the very much Savage needed ZDDP additive.

(lobbing a bullshit grenade back at Bill, jest to make him keep his head down)

Bill's favorite stuff by his own admission is made from virgin olive oil with English vein drippings in it -- so unless you are a budding vampire who wants to pay double/triple $$ per quart for English flavored Italian salad dressing I'd not pay a lot of attention to Bill's oil recommendations.

Grin    Grin    Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 08/14/10 at 07:36:24

As far as mixing oil goes, you actually do that every time you change over brands (residual oil in your engine still remains in nooks and crannies inside the engine).

No one would recommend doing it on purpose, but factually it happens all the time and the world does keep on spinning ....

If I were going to do it I'd put the rest of the little amount into the gearcase and top it off with what you plan to use from now on -- that way the transition gets over with in one oil change rather than doodling along for several changes (should something bad happen you can fix it cleanly with a know "fix" point)

But once again, no one would recommend it -- can you use the leftover amount in an oil eating car or lawnmower just as easily?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/14/10 at 08:04:26

I knew it !!
Thats why my cam chain has been floppin around ever since the other day when I changed to RT !!

bill67 wrote on 08/14/10 at 05:41:17:
jspace I think you can see that people here use rotella oil because its cheap,People here also have a lot of cam chain problems.Stick with a motorcycle oil,not a diesel oil.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 08/14/10 at 08:37:22

a second bullshit grenade lobbed over the trenches .....

According to Bill, if you will jest pay 3 times more for your Rotella that will fix the cam chain floppy issue right away (oh yeah, ya gotta put some red food coloring in it, too)

Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 08/14/10 at 08:40:59

The Rotella advantage cheap,Disadvantage wasn't made for motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/14/10 at 09:09:27

Bill, your challenge is to prove that any brand of oil was specifically initially made for motorcycles -- I think they were all developed for cars, etc and the existing stuff was given "special additive packages" to meet JASO uses.  
      Then they put a special label on them quart bottles and then charged you double for their
"special motorcycle oil".  

PT Barnum would have loved them for it -- "A sucker is born every minute" sez 'ol PT.   And that's what mebbe you are for actually buying the overpriced stuff, too ....

Rotella is especially good because it already met all those requirements in its initial formulation and it required no "patchwork" to meet JASO specs.   No special additives, no special packaging and no special cost either.  

And since truckers generally use the stuff in 15 gallon crankcase fill ups, the cost per gallon tends to be quite reasonable for an official motorcycle oil.    Cheesy   yeah !!!

The fact it is a "diesel oil" is also nice for a practical reason, it means it has stronger detergent and surfactant packages in it that will keep your engine nice and clean.  This is to our advantage, actually.

Rotella T-6 has been used by list members to remove the lingering after effects of energy star contamination (clutch slippage) using Rotella's superior engine clean up properties.    It has also been used to scrub up some engines that were so dirty you couldn't tell if there was oil in the window or not -- it was just that filthy inside the engine.

Now the oil level view window is nice clear plastic again and the engine innards are all sparkly clean too after only 3 oil changes.

Let's see your English flavored salad dressing do that .....

« Last Edit: 08/14/10 at 13:12:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/14/10 at 10:37:44

(bill's really starting to sweat now -- his salad dressing in going on Verslagen's Savage test bed soon and we will all soon have empirical numberical knowledge if it works worth a durn or not)

ooops, there goes the magical fairy dust ....

Grin    Grin    Grin     Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 08/14/10 at 12:57:35

Bill's strong point is making claims that he either cannot or will not back up. There is little point in listing the claims, because his usual reaction is to attack the person questioning the claims instead of providing data. I expect an attack, shortly. Even now I am donning my Nomex suit.

« Last Edit: 08/14/10 at 17:42:15 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/14/10 at 13:20:57

Charon,

You do know if Verslagen's data sez so, we are gonna have to bow down and kiss Bill's little pinky finger don't you?

It ain't a done deal until the data is all tabulated and the delta's generated, but we do have the T-6 baseline now -- completed.

OOOOOOOOoooooooh, a real sick making thought, no?  

(that's the finger he picks his nose with  ----  yuck!)

All it would really indicate is the relative effectiveness of the two oils in question ..... Rotella T-6 and Klotz.

But I don't think Bill would let us forget it, either   -----  

ever

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 08/14/10 at 13:41:00

Oldfeller, I hope Verslagen is taking lots of notes, not only of the temperature deltas but of the fuels used ("100% pure gasoline" or E-10) and other variables such as speed. There may be some unseen correlations going on.

I finally got tired enough of Bill's insistence on the virtues of Sea Foam to buy a can and try it. I put it in all three of my motorcycles, and have actually run it through two of them. If the weather stays nice the third will follow shortly. So far, the results show no effect at all, as I have been predicting all along. I am sure he will find some way to claim I used it incorrectly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/14/10 at 14:10:57

charon, you might not be able to witness any improvement with seafoam.
your bikes are probably too well maintained.

go find yourself a neglected bike.  fill the carb up over nite, put a little in the crankcase.  drain all the fluids the next day fill with fresh oil and gas for a real test.

but i know i've had an issue with a sticky slide once and a shot of seafoam fixed it.

as far as the bullet proof m/c oil, klotz ain't doing it for me.  but it could be those nooks and crannies held enough rotsyn to contaminate the 1st weeks running.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #28 - 08/14/10 at 14:32:31

Verslagen, I have been trying to devise some objective method to test Sea Foam for some time. I knew going in the carbs on my bikes were pretty clean, but Bill insisted I'd know what running right was really all about (I have forgotten his exact phraseology and don't care enough to try to look it up). By the way, I figure to put what is left of the Sea Foam in my lawn mowers, one of which has about 450 hours and the other of which has about 350.

My thought for a test mule would be a bike with multiple carbs. Plumb it so half of the carbs feed from the main tank. Mount a pony tank somewhere else (handlebars, rear seat, wherever) and plumb it to the other carbs. Fill one tank with fresh clean gasoline, and the other tank with Sea Foam and gasoline. Then see if any differences could be identified.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 08/14/10 at 14:41:38

You gonna do a full second oil change to make sure it's all Klotz in there so as to remove all possible wiggle room?  

Save the "just barely used" stuff you drain out and put it back in the bottles -- you can still pollinate your common purple flower pixies with it you know.

(it's magic after all)

Not that Bill won't still wiggle for all he's worth anyway -- kissing a worm in the butt with a sharp hook will have nothing on 'ol Bill once that final data hook heaves itself into sight.

Still, proof is proof and truth is truth --- if the pink stuff is better we would still say so and take our lickin' like men.

Bill however is already a squealin' some (got him premonitions he does) .....

..... and he ain't even been stuck in the ass on that nasty big old sharp data hook yet ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.