Send Topic Print
oil?? (Read 928 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil??
08/13/10 at 19:43:00

getting ready for my bikes first oil change.. just wondering what a good oil would be, and what do you guys use in your savages?  seems like my clutch has a small bit of slippage every now and then when i'm shifting into first.  don't know if thats from the oil thats already in it or from something else.  i've had the bike for about a month (but just got my endorsement last week).  i've already put about 100 miles on her in the past couple of days.  but i don't know if the oil has ever been changed or not.  i got her from a dealer but you never really know if they did anything to the bike at all other then make her a little shinny..  Wink

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: oil??
Reply #1 - 08/13/10 at 20:01:28

Oh no!  Not again!!!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/13/10 at 20:07:27

Just a word of advice - asking an oil question on a motorcycle board seems to be a good way to get a heated discussion going. However, Suzuki recommends a 10W-40 oil with JASO MA rating. Any brand will do, but that tends to be an argumentative subject as well. The most important thing is to avoid any oil with "energy conserving" on its label.

Since you specifically asked, I am using Shell Rotella 15W-40 in mine, and it seems to work just fine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/13/10 at 20:39:11

Tastes great!

WWW   IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #4 - 08/13/10 at 21:05:13

Change the oil and filter. It's not hard. I've settled on Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for my motorcycles, changing oil every 2500 miles and filter every 5000 miles. Previous owner had used an energy conserving oil in the Savage and that ruined the clutch. Don't do that.

Do you have some freeplay in the clutch cable? You should be able to easily fit a quarter between the lever and its housing (like you're putting it into a coin slot).

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/10 at 21:15:03

less filling!

IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/10 at 22:10:39

Charon wrote on 08/13/10 at 20:07:27:
Just a word of advice - asking an oil question on a motorcycle board seems to be a good way to get a heated discussion going. However, Suzuki recommends a 10W-40 oil with JASO MA rating. Any brand will do, but that tends to be an argumentative subject as well. The most important thing is to avoid any oil with "energy conserving" on its label.

Since you specifically asked, I am using Shell Rotella 15W-40 in mine, and it seems to work just fine.

i've been keeping up with the rotella thread and honestly i've never heard of it, so i asked a friend with a bike and he's never heard of it.  it sounds like a lot of you guys use it.  it must be a good choice.  has anyone ever had problems with it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/13/10 at 22:11:08

Tastes great!

WWW   IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/10 at 22:44:01

BuckRYCA wrote on 08/13/10 at 21:05:13:
Change the oil and filter. It's not hard. I've settled on Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for my motorcycles, changing oil every 2500 miles and filter every 5000 miles. Previous owner had used an energy conserving oil in the Savage and that ruined the clutch. Don't do that.

Do you have some freeplay in the clutch cable? You should be able to easily fit a quarter between the lever and its housing (like you're putting it into a coin slot).

sometimes when i'm down shifting through the gears i can feel the transmission go through each gear.  then i'll put it into first and it (sounds and feels) like teeth kinda grab.  i'm pretty mechanical but don't know much about the wet sump clutch.. i don't know if that could be an oil thing, with maybe having the original oil in it.. or if its a tranny issue..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/13/10 at 23:43:28

jspace wrote on 08/13/10 at 22:10:39:
i've been keeping up with the rotella thread and honestly i've never heard of it, so i asked a friend with a bike and he's never heard of it.  it sounds like a lot of you guys use it.  it must be a good choice.  has anyone ever had problems with it?

Rotella is good for cleaning out your clutch when you've had an EC oil in it.  But if you've been really following the thread you should know that.  Rotella is good oil.  RotSyn is a little better.  and you can't beat the price.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/14/10 at 02:09:28

Durn, I do believe they've got it !!

Your new transmission will be a little cobby for the first 5,000 miles as it breaks in.   It is an old style cam & dog transmission after all and isn't going to be smmoooth until it is broken in well.

Rotella Syn T-6 5w-40 has been noted as having a soothing effect on the transmission, but I doubt even it can totally stop a cobby new transmission from showing its arse periodically, especially when downshifting to the lower gears.

Good luck with them oil questions -- ya got yer kevlar underwear on yet?   Them boys with the flamethrowers and machine guns will be along directly.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/14/10 at 04:24:12

I use Klotz MX 15w-50w motorcycle oil,Its not a cheap oil,But its a cheap insurance.Its a Group 5 oil the highest rate for oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 08/14/10 at 04:50:15

I use Lucas 20W-50 V-TwinFull Syn in summer heat. $9 a quart at O'Reilly's. I use Mobil1 10W-40 V-Twin in winter. $8 a quart. I change oil every 1,500 miles, but that's just the way I do stuff.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 08/14/10 at 05:12:56

The reason you probably never heard of Shell Rotella is that it is marketed as an oil for Diesel use. It also has the JASO ratings, so is quite suitable for motorcycle use. Rotella 15W-40 is a conventional oil, often referred to as "dino oil". Rotella 5W-40 synthetic is often called "RotSyn." Unless you plan to do a lot of cold-weather riding, the 15W-40 will meet your needs.

As far as is known, no 10W-40 oil is "energy conserving." That means there are no low-friction additives such as graphite or molybdenum disulphide, so they shouldn't cause problems with the clutch (which runs in the oil). You can buy your oil by price at Walmart, should you choose, and most likely never have an oil-related problem. If your bike is still under warranty, you might feel better buying the Suzuki oil from your dealership for that first change. It won't perform any better, but it might make your dealer a little happier in case you need warranty work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/14/10 at 05:23:18

Quote:
seems like my clutch has a small bit of slippage every now and then when i'm shifting into first.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure, but it sounds like you're describing a clutch that not disengaging quite enough, more than slipping,.....like gear clatter when shifting into first from neutral ?? In that case you may have too much slack in the clutch cable adjustment, or possibly the engine idling too fast.
I just changed oil to Shell Rotella T, only because so many use it, and it was only a buck more for a gallon than the cheapest.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:13:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.