Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where does your clutch engage? (Read 186 times)
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Where does your clutch engage?
08/09/10 at 01:23:38

Seems like mine grabs real early, if you release it maybe a half an inch it'll start to grab and go. Also wondering how firm is the lever feel? Should feel somewhat hard to pull in or easy?

Engine also makes a super funky spinning noise, kinda like something is spinning faster than it should in the higher RPM range, can't figure it out.

2007 S40
12,500mi
Pods, baffled "open" pipe, 160, 55 w/bleed holes.
Forget how many turns out as well. Bike dies under hard braking if I don't give it some throttle.

Any help would be great help, thanks!

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Where does your clutch engage?
Reply #1 - 08/09/10 at 04:40:27

What do you mean with spinning faster? Is it like a whining noise? When driving or when revving standing still? My clutch goes as easy as I can pull it in with two fingers.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/09/10 at 04:45:07

I don't know this carb very well, only what I read.
But has this carb been hacked, more than slightly modded ?
Seems like a huge main jet,......why ?
And could the float level be too high.....to cause flooding while braking ?
If my stock '07 runs a 148 main, (don't know that for sure) I can't figure any modded exhaust needing a larger than 152. But the carb experts here will tell you as soon as they wake up Shocked

My clutch at 5k miles engages quite quickly. You can give it any more amount of freeplay as long as it still releases good.
And if its not slipping under full power, then its not too easy. Mine is just what I would call normal.........comfortable to pull.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 08/09/10 at 04:53:45

Open exhaust, and pod asked Lancer about it and he told me a 155 should be good but I didn't have one and only had a 160.

It's sorta like a whining noise, it's an odd sound to try define. Under load and in neutral it'll make the same noise.

I'm gonna tinker with the clutch engagement point later on, my lever pull feel is on the stiffer side.

Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/09/10 at 05:45:13

You might want to be sure the clutch cable is lubricated. Whatever oil you use in the engine will work nicely. And check the clutch lever pivot, too. While you are oiling the clutch cable, remember there is a throttle cable and a rear brake cable.

To get an idea whether your clutch is "hard" or "easy" to pull, pay a visit to a local dealership and squeeze a bunch of clutches. That may give you an idea of the range of clutch pulls, though you won't really be able to test engagement points.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/09/10 at 06:09:57

Look at the lines on the clutch cover & see how the clutch throwout is adjusted to hit the rod in the clutch pack.

You should be able to move the clutch lever at least 1/8th inch just with the tip of your nose, IOW, need some slack in the cable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/09/10 at 06:47:54

3mm slack @ lever

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 08/09/10 at 06:56:20

When first pulling out, the clutch should start to grab at about 3/4 inch to 1 inch off the hand grip.

Since the bike has a clutch setup for ease of use (light pressure), it has a fairly long travel.  Any farther out and you risk slipping in high gear.  

For the 2009 Spet 20th PA ride, Photo Joe had shown up and said the clutch was slipping in top gear (4th on his '87).  The grab point was at about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 out from the grip.    We brought it back in to about an inch and slipping was gone.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 08/09/10 at 07:01:48

thumperclone wrote on 08/09/10 at 06:47:54:
3mm slack @ lever

At the pivot point, where the cable adjuster is located, not the end of the lever on the outside. The end should then have about 10-15mm or about 1/2" play.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 08/09/10 at 07:31:37

The clutches on both of the LS650's I have owned were adjusted so that I could fit a nickle coin between the cable end of the clutch lever and it's pivot housing (approx 3.0mm) with the lever released ... find that this works perfectly!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/09/10 at 23:55:42

Perry, will you send me a nickel?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #11 - 08/10/10 at 03:32:31

As a new guy... when the bike starts rolling.  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/10/10 at 22:31:42

Quote:
Seems like mine grabs real early, if you release it maybe a half an inch it'll start to grab and go.

And does it have about 1/8" freeplay at the lever?  also check with the bars turned either way.  This might be an indication that you need to change the clutch rod, so check the marks on the case to make sure you're between them.

Quote:
Also wondering how firm is the lever feel? Should feel somewhat hard to pull in or easy?

shouldn't be sticky, add oil using OF's baggy trick if you don't want to buy the cable lube thingy.

Quote:
Engine also makes a super funky spinning noise, kinda like something is spinning faster than it should in the higher RPM range, can't figure it out.

Also could be an indication of needing a new clutch rod.  don't let this go on for too long, can burn out your clutch.

Quote:
Bike dies under hard braking if I don't give it some throttle.

Turn up the idle speed a little.  All savages rpm drop when chopping the throttle if the idle speed is too low.  it may be combined with float surge as you noted hard braking.

WWW   IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 08/11/10 at 04:34:31

verslagen1 wrote on 08/10/10 at 22:31:42:
Quote:
Seems like mine grabs real early, if you release it maybe a half an inch it'll start to grab and go.

And does it have about 1/8" freeplay at the lever?  also check with the bars turned either way.  This might be an indication that you need to change the clutch rod, so check the marks on the case to make sure you're between them.

Quote:
Also wondering how firm is the lever feel? Should feel somewhat hard to pull in or easy?

shouldn't be sticky, add oil using OF's baggy trick if you don't want to buy the cable lube thingy.

Quote:

Also could be an indication of needing a new clutch rod.  don't let this go on for too long, can burn out your clutch.

Quote:
Bike dies under hard braking if I don't give it some throttle.

Turn up the idle speed a little.  All savages rpm drop when chopping the throttle if the idle speed is too low.  it may be combined with float surge as you noted hard braking.

Hmm where could I find the clutch rod? Is it covered in Clymers as in like a how to?

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get a video of the clutch soon.

Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 08/11/10 at 20:40:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/10 at 06:09:57:
Look at the lines on the clutch cover & see how the clutch throwout is adjusted to hit the rod in the clutch pack.....

Here is but one of the several discussions we've had about that:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246935676/0

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where does your clutch engage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.