Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't Believe My Luck!! (Read 251 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Can't Believe My Luck!!
08/03/10 at 15:50:33

Came off a stop light this afternoon, about the time I got to the far side of the intersection (4 Lane w/ turn lanes) I was about to shift into 3rd, and all of a sudden there is the horrific banging and bumping.  First thought was "did I blow a tire?", so I'm heading for the shoulder and the nearest parking lot.  I get to the side, and realize the tires are OK, the engine is running, and while stationary, no banging.  I walk/drive in 1st into the parking lot, and I realize I'm getting a CLUNK every now and then as I move forward, so I'm thinking this is tire or drive related.

Shut down, get off, get the gear off(it's only about 175 degrees in Houston this week Tongue) and start looking it over. 10 min of checking and I have it narrowed down to the drive assembly somewhere.  Another 20 min of laying on the hot concrete, inspect, get up and roll the bike forward a couple feet and repeat till I can inspect al the things I think I can see.

Now, I find the problem, and here is where the weird luck thing comes in:  Apparently, as I was going across the intersection, I (or a car next to me) kicked up a small rock that hit the belt and got pulled into the rear drive pulley, and lodged between two of the teeth.  Then, every time that part of the pulley came around, it CLUNKED.  Got out the Buck knife and pried it out, and shazamm, no more problem.

So, get it home, inspect the belt all the way around and can't see any damage, so...can't believe the luck;  the bad luck to have the pebble get stuck in there, but the good luck to be able to find and correct it.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Can't Believe My Luck!!
Reply #1 - 08/03/10 at 15:54:04

If only they all have a happy ending like this.

The drive belt is one tough cookie. You rarely hear of any issue with them.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/03/10 at 16:38:01

And was it tensioned to the 90° method or by the gage?

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #3 - 08/03/10 at 16:54:25

verslagen1 wrote on 08/03/10 at 16:38:01:
And was it tensioned to the 90° method or by the gage?

No idea.  Belt tension was checked by mechanic when in for last service 750 miles back.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 08/03/10 at 17:27:19

Wait until the first time you get stuck on a chip sealed road, you get the sealant and the crushed rock chips and the flaggers get real upset when you stop after the work zone but still between the flaggers to clean the rocks out. One summer they did all the roads from our place to town the same week. What a mess, they got to de tar our PU as they forgot to post one road, understand the county paid to detail over 300 vehicles before they were finished. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/03/10 at 20:28:55

Glad it turned out good.

Ironically, I was inbetween flaggers a week ago on a patching repaving job, lots a small rocks and gravel everywhere, when all of a sudden there was a helluva bang,....which made a big jolt thru the whole frame. Scared the hell outta me,.....but to my surprise there was not a sound after that. After slowing....preparing to come to a stop, I slowly brought speed back up,....not a sound, and nothing in the pulleys or belt upon inspection at home. Don't know, but I suspect a rock got inbetween something it shouldn't have,.....ya think ? Smiley  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/04/10 at 21:09:49

I've had little rocks jam the rear tire momentarily:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1218766842/8#8

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #7 - 08/05/10 at 13:23:46

When I rode to the Knob Creek range by Louisville for the machinegun shoot it was so muddy that while trying to get out of the "grass" parking lot enough mud got in the pulley to cause it to skip and make the loud bang.  Some guys in the lot thought it was the belt loosing teeth, but that made no sense with the Savage's belt reputation.  After a few hundred feet on pavement everything smoothed out, though it took several months for all the mud to wash away from the tires.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #8 - 08/07/10 at 11:13:56

I've had a rock wedge on top of the drive pulley and jam in between the belt and the engine case. Got home and smelled the burnt rubber smell and couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Checked the tires, wires and under the seat till I noticed the groove on the top of the drive belt. Had to bust to rock out of there with a hammer and screwdriver as the rock was wedged in good. The groove is about 1/8th of an inch deep but still kicking after several thousand miles. These belts have earned that tough reputation in my book!!

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:27:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't Believe My Luck!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.