Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Difficult 5th gear (Read 260 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Difficult 5th gear
08/01/10 at 13:35:08

I am new to this forum and this is my first post/ question.  A couple of months ago i purchased a 2001 Suzuki Savage with only 3000 miles on it.  It runs great with the exception of the common backfire issue which i am working on.  There is one thing that i cant quite figure out though- it seems to shift hard going into 5th gear.  Sometimes it will go right into the gear and sometimes it seems like it clicks twice getting into gear.  Is this a transmission issue/ rpm issue/ or maybe just finding the right "sweet spot" issue?  Does anyone else have these problems and if so what did you do to fix it?  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Difficult 5th gear
Reply #1 - 08/01/10 at 14:05:21

Just part of the charm of the Savage. Its common & hasnt caused any real ( read: Spend $$$ on it) problems. Ive noticed that if I go for a clutchless shif into 5th, I dont feel that. I also shift, hit the gas, let off & then, TRY to drive it on in to 5th,, It rarely moves a bit more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #2 - 08/01/10 at 14:21:29

Thanks for the reply- thats what i was kinda hoping for - just a part of its charm Smiley

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/01/10 at 14:30:56

I think its getting used to I don't find it any harder going in to 5th than any other bike,Synthetic motorcycle oil does seem to make all bikes shift slightly easier.I use Klotz racing synthetic.

« Last Edit: 08/01/10 at 17:30:28 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #4 - 08/01/10 at 14:37:52

Thanks- I just changed the oil prior to posting this hoping that might help, next time i might go with the synthetic...any opinion on Amsoil?  thats what i run in my autos

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/01/10 at 15:29:31

The key to easy shifting is not to force it.
apply pressure in the direction you want to go, squeeze the clutch, adjust the throttle and if it hasn't gone already apply more pressure to get it into gear.  Let out the clutch and it should be there.

This works at a dead stop too.  just don't let the clutch out all the way or you'll be shittin' your pants.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/01/10 at 17:32:00

dv8savagerider wrote on 08/01/10 at 14:37:52:
Thanks- I just changed the oil prior to posting this hoping that might help, next time i might go with the synthetic...any opinion on Amsoil?  thats what i run in my autos

Amsoil should be good and shift easier

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/01/10 at 18:06:51

I use Lucas Oil. I seem to be the only one.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/01/10 at 19:13:04

I use a secret oil, but it doesn't change the tranny shift.
Very simple,...just hold pressure on the shifter till the clutch is dumped. It will either shift or miss a gear, and it never misses a gear.

Backfire ? Stop it ? Many men tried, many men failed. Some even think they stopped it, and some did, but only till they turned their back on it. I love it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #9 - 08/01/10 at 20:25:07

Yeah the backfire is growing on me, lol.  Its funny to see people duck when you drive by

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/01/10 at 22:09:36

You're looking for a WHOOSH or PHOOT as far as the backfire goes. I havent been able to get any better than that.
As far as 5th...its normal. You can clutchless shift it, keep upward pressure on until you fully let out the clutch lever, or F*** 5th. Its pretty much useless anyway.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #11 - 08/01/10 at 23:15:27

BurnPgh wrote on 08/01/10 at 22:09:36:
You can clutchless shift it, keep upward pressure on until you fully let out the clutch lever, or F*** 5th. Its pretty much useless anyway.

apparently you dont let her get above 50 mph, poor thing must be chomping at the bit  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #12 - 08/02/10 at 12:48:29

The difference between 4th and 5th is only 300 rpm. It's a highway gear?  Roll Eyes

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/02/10 at 13:13:49

I think the top gear ratio is set by trade agreement
otherwise HD would never catch up to us.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #14 - 08/02/10 at 15:39:43

dv8savagerider wrote on 08/01/10 at 20:25:07:
Yeah the backfire is growing on me, lol.  Its funny to see people duck when you drive by

Sometimes funny, but I drive in parts of Houston where that noise could get you shot by somebody!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 15:36:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Difficult 5th gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.