Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To Saddlebag or Not to Saddlebag... (Read 440 times)
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
To Saddlebag or Not to Saddlebag...
08/01/10 at 10:45:27

I'm using a backpack while riding for weekly overnight trips and to work (Cause I have to change clothes when I get there) and I use a small tank bag for local fun rides. I'm thinking I should consider some sort of saddle bag setup. The bags I've seen at CycleGear don't seem to be large enough to hold a can of soda, but a bigger bag would look stupid on the bike. Considering maybe the box type bag that attaches to the passenger seat, cause it's expandable,etc. and doesn't take up a lot of space. Maybe a sissy bar with the box type bag sliding on the rail?

What do you use? Which to avoid, downside? upside? HELP!

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: To Saddlebag or Not to Saddlebag...
Reply #1 - 08/01/10 at 11:52:57

I have a gym bag, w/ a piece of 1/8th ply sewn into the bottom & another glued underneat & a few well plaed D rings sewn on the base, to make tying it on easy. Ithangs out overthetail light& comes up to the strap across theseat. I sewed a flap on it, w/ velcro, that wraps around the strap. Probably dont need it, I was havin fun. It will haul groceries & beer in one pass &, when not in use, the bungee cord & parachute cord setup pulls it almostflat. Been using that for 3 + years& its worked out great & talk about cheap!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/01/10 at 12:06:33

i got a set of river road slant bags 14" i think..they work/look great..
hard mounted to oem bag supports..didnt have to relocate the turn sigs.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #3 - 08/01/10 at 12:16:49

I gots me a Tombstone bag.. and I have to use the smallest pad up front. I'm small, and I like the idea of a backrest. I don't know how it would work for you larger guys, tho..

the vertical tie downs aren't really long enough, hence the bungies.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/01/10 at 13:13:26

Looks like a nice handy setup. I see you have floorboards what kind are they.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/01/10 at 14:35:18

I like the plain ole saddle bags.
And I'm waiting on a new windshield bag to go on my new falcon fairing,........which is not in this pic.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 08/01/10 at 15:05:02

River road compact slant mediums are pretty much a perfect fit for saddlebags. Decent space.
Large saddlemens will require turn signal replacement or else no passangers. Front bumps up against the rear pegs.
Been looking at a size small tourmaster tailbag but cant remember the actual name. Got to find the catalog.

'I' went to wal-mart and got one of their $13 soft coolers, some upholstry thread and a couple of d-rings and curved needles.
Cut the lower leg off an old pair of jeans, closed one end and stitched it to the back of the cooler. Sized, it slides right over the sissybar and pad.
Added a d- ring at the two lower front corners.
Put two of those tarp straps with the ball on the end that are adjustable through the d-rings.
Slide the jeans leg over the bar pad, hook the bungies to your bag supports or other attachment point. Good solid hookup that will haul cold or hot food, rainsuit, clothes(keeps em dry to!), what ever you want. 12T x 10D x 12W. Expands another 3-4 inchs on top and 2in pouch on front, net bags on sides. Hold lots of goodies. Makes a decent backrest to. Plastic tub inside you can remove or leave that stiffens it.
Think it cost me about 20 bucks all told, two nights sewing and watching TV and one pricked finger(dont watch TV while sewing...lol).
I added two tabs on the bottom of the jean sleeve and a strap across the top so its easy on the sissybar and easy off. Nice shoulder strap to carry it with to.
It will hold as much as both river road med slant saddlebags will.
Black n blue so it looks good setting on the back seat as well.

Thumperclone, what part number are yours? Most of the RR are to soft/pliable that ive looked at without adding a stiff backboard.
Saddlemen large are nice but i really dont want to relocate my rear turn sigs.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 08/01/10 at 15:48:22

I have the Saddlemen Large Drifters.  Bought them at DennisKirk.com.  I admit, they do look a little oversized for the bike.  I wanted as big as possible, and these were the ones recommended by Saddlemen for our bike.  I am getting a new rear tire installed tomorrow, so I removed the saddlebags and supports to make it easier.  Looks so different without them!  But I was considering going smaller... but the more I look, the more I think I better stick with them.  Great quality, and I doubt I'll ever find a bargain worth ditching them for.  The good thing is that I can carry my leather jacket, light-weight jacket, sweatshirt, chaps and plenty of stuff, groceries, etc.  I think they make the bike look bigger too.
I wanted to relocate my signals, since I broke them first really quickly!  haha  The bags still rub and I'm going to find a better way to mount them when I get home tomorrow evening.
I also have a tool bag on the front forks, and a fanny-pack that I wrap around my backrest to carry my phone, smokes, and license, etc.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 08/01/10 at 16:36:09

jimsgirl wrote on 08/01/10 at 10:45:27:
I'm using a backpack while riding for weekly overnight trips and to work...
Maybe a sissy bar with the box type bag sliding on the rail?

http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/000707.html

For my saddlebags.  They are Fake!  They only look like leather bags -- they are really hard cases.  I live in Los Angeles and I *need* lockable bags.  They carry 20 pounds/18 quarts each.  They disconnect for about 5 seconds if you want to ride naked.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177262289

Is a 21" Airline Carryon suitcase good enough for your clothes?

WWW   IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #9 - 08/01/10 at 17:23:28

bill67 wrote on 08/01/10 at 13:13:26:

I actually got them at the recommendation of some people here..babyhog/gerald.hughes
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5500000

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/01/10 at 17:39:20

CeliaMarie wrote on 08/01/10 at 17:23:28:
bill67 wrote on 08/01/10 at 13:13:26:

I actually got them at the recommendation of some people here..babyhog/gerald.hughes
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5500000

Ok on the floorboards and that pack you got is all you really need.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #11 - 08/01/10 at 18:20:42

Here is a link to my saddlebag project

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274048750/6#6

It lists the type and has some pics.  They are HUGE.  I carry my laptop in one side and my GI rucksack in the other.  I know they look sort of out of proportion, but what the he*#, it's my bike and I need the room to carry this stuff to work and back every day, and I was arriving anywhere completely soaked when I was wearing the rucksack.

I've had them about 4 months and they are still working out for me.

Just remember, IT'S YOUR BIKE, do what works for you, and don't worry about what someone else likes or doesn't

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/01/10 at 18:48:40

I picked up a set of leather equine saddlebags cheap, put the strap under seat.  They are slim and on the small side but were fine for day to day commuting, I liked the looks of them.

I also have a larger pair of nylon bags which go over the seat and actually cover the leather bags. I havent had much occasion to use them.
however.

The small bags ripped and now I keep a backpack bungeed on

IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #13 - 08/02/10 at 01:35:40

Thanks everyone for the pictures and ideas and suggestions!

Paladin - I like the look of your lockable saddlebags, and the bike looks bigger-easier to be seen on the street which would be a plus!!

but that green suitcase is WAAAAY too big  Grin  for anything I'd want or need to carry. Yikes!  Shocked
I'm looking at the Cargo brand Tail bag, just cause i can remove it quickly/not permanent and it's expandable if i need more space.
Roll Eyes

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/02/10 at 10:31:54

I used a trunk when I was riding the Savage. Currently for my Concours, I have a large trunk, two large saddle bags, two glove boxes and a large tank bags for trips, but for day to day commuting I only use the trunk and the glove boxes. The trunk carries my rain gear, and anything else I need (it's big enough for two ff helmets plus (so grocery shopping is possible. The glove boxes contain my insurance and registration on one side, and a flashlight and my side-stand puck on the other. It's nice to be able to reach those things without having to step off the MC I suppose if I didn't have them, I'd use a tank bag in conjunction with the trunk.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Saddlebag or Not to Saddlebag...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.