Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bluetooth stuff (Read 249 times)
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Bluetooth stuff
07/26/10 at 15:45:25

Does anyone recommend a particular headset for intercoming (is that a word?), listening to an ipod or connecting to a cell phone/gps?

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Bluetooth stuff
Reply #1 - 07/26/10 at 16:21:18

CeliaMarie wrote on 07/26/10 at 15:45:25:
Does anyone recommend a particular headset for intercoming (is that a word?), listening to an ipod or connecting to a cell phone/gps?

I would recomend you throw away all electrical gizmos when you get on your bike, riding a bike is not the safest means of transportation ,so you need every advantage you can muster,music and chit chat are both a dis advantage.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 17:22:15

I agree with Mick. I have a Cardo head set and rarely turn it on. The last thing I want to do is answer my phone while on the bike.
The FM radio works but can only pickup 1 station. Thankfully its a station I like. Don't expect HIFI sound.
Its supposed to be a pretty good intercom system between the pilot & passenger and /or another bike but haven't has a chance to test it.

Speaking from experience, looking back, I should have purchased something I would use more. I'm a slave to gadgets Sad

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #3 - 07/26/10 at 17:58:53

yes, I'm into gadgets also - I would love to put stereo into my helmet for an ipod. And I probably would only use the intercom part for 2 up when with my bf. But then again.. it's really the only time he doesn't talk incessantly.. Smiley (ha!  love him anyway..)

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 07/26/10 at 19:12:21

Get some good sound isolating ear buds. I have some shure ear buds. Pricey but sound great. The big issue is they might cut out too much road sound.
At least you could use them around the house to tune out the bf.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 07/26/10 at 20:05:34

I have no desire to listen to tunes nor try and talk on the phone while riding my bike. My new helmet has blue tooth availability yet again I have no intension of using it while riding.
I carry a cell phone and if need to will pull over to use it.
I hum and sing my own songs when no traffic is around.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/26/10 at 21:38:58

+1 on the earbuds, I got cheapos though, I have just enough volume on to recognize tunes but not enough to drown out the wind noise at speed (60mph, my cruising speed and speed limit to and from work) they can get kinda annoying though, I have a helmet that won't hold them in right, my other helmet holds them just fine most of the time, the phone shouldn't be used while biking, imo, but you may be more talented than me, I've seen nimrods texting on sport bikes though, talking on goldwings, etc. . . music helps me concentrate, phones distract me, just my $.02

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/27/10 at 01:45:21

kimchris1 wrote on 07/26/10 at 20:05:34:
I have no desire to listen to tunes nor try and talk on the phone while riding my bike. My new helmet has blue tooth availability yet again I have no intension of using it while riding.
I carry a cell phone and if need to will pull over to use it.
I hum and sing my own songs when no traffic is around.. Smiley kim

Kim Chris you are right on the money,stay as smart as you are ,and way down the road I will see you there.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/27/10 at 01:59:31

I use a Camos BTS-200.  It has the A2DP protocol for stereo sound and sounds pretty darn good!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #9 - 07/27/10 at 03:38:30

I own several bluetooth sets, my motorola one is by FAR the worse.

By now I have gone back to cabled headsets cause of the many
limitations of bluetooth earpieces, mainly low quality and voulme.

I have grown to like those in-ear earbuds with the small
one-button control that clips to your shirt or jacket, you
can adjust the volume, take a call, dial a call and advance
one song or one whole folder with a single button + vol-dial.

Some of my biker friends are raving about the Nolan N-Com
helm Bluetooth system that attaches to any gadget and other
n-com sets to chat while riding, have not tested it myself but
seems useless for my needs, and pricey.

* in-ear = comfortable, stays put + high quality w/low volume

* for top audio quality I like senheiser, audio-technica and pioneer products (like the Sennheiser MM 100 Stereo Bluetooth set).

* for more affordable quality review a few sony and phillips products.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 07/27/10 at 05:39:04

My husband and I have the Cardo Scala Rider Multi-set.  We originally had a TeamSet, but they only transmit a short distance, so riding our seperate bikes, we had to stay closer together.  With the multi-set, we can be almost 1/2 mile away from each other and still communicate.  (Nice if I run a "yellow" light and he doesn't!)

As a new rider, I love being able to talk to him while we ride.  If I have a problem, its easy to tell him I'm pulling over, without alarming him as to why.  He gives me pointers as we ride too.  I also enjoy listening to the embedded FM radio.  Mine picks up very well, hubby's not so well, I think he has metal in his head LOL.  Our prior set didn't have the radio, and I like these new ones very much.  There are dual speakers that velcro inside the cavaties in the helmet.  I prefer that to ear-buds, which to me would seem to close the ear canal and block out alot of other "road sounds" which I think are important to be able to hear on a bike.  Wind noise across the microphones seems to be worse with this new set, but the trade-off is fine with me.  They easily bluetooth connect to the phone (set up once, automatic after that, whenever you turn both on).  They are capable of connecting to other headsets (friends with same kind) and also to mp3 players, etc.  I haven't taken phone calls since getting this set, but I have talked to hubby while he is riding and it is very clear.  Can't even tell he's on a bike.  One-touch button to answer (I think you can even set it to answer by voice-activation, maybe).  Six programmable radio stations that you can click through with one touch of a button.  

Sorry I didn't give you much detail on the iPod, I just don't use one, but I do like the functionality of the Scala Rider, so I'm sure it would be great with an iPod too.  I think I did read that the volume adjustment when using it with an iPod or something is only controlled by the iPod itself, unlike the radio, which can be controlled by the Scala Rider.    

Let us know what you decide on!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #11 - 07/27/10 at 06:46:17

Babyhog..
the one you're describing is the one I was looking at. I've read a few reviews, and along with your review, I think this is the one I'll go with, probably after I have the rest of the season of riding under my belt. I can understand what everyone else is saying about paying attention to riding, and I agree. It would be for settling in for long stretches (ipod) or continued learning under bf's watchful eye, instead of reviewing each ride afterwards.
Thanks for such a detailed post!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/27/10 at 06:58:00

If you want to ride a bike, Id recommend you do just that. Riding IS the entertainment, IMO. The distracting things weve come to accept in our lives may not be as good for us as weve come to believe. Just ride & focus on the ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 07/27/10 at 07:12:30

No problem Celia.  I didn't mention that we went with the "older" Q2 system. The new G4's are a bit pricey for me.  They might be alot better, but since our Teamset was like the Q2's, we were plenty satisfied.  

We bought the first set used on Ebay.  You can find the others on Ebay, but I actually found a store through Ebay, but bought directly from their website because the website was cheaper than their Ebay buy-it-now price.  And they were the cheapest I found.  They shipped fast, and I was pleased.  

Eastern Performance Cycles - http://www.easternperformance.com/

Everyone rides their own ride.  My favorite ride is riding along, with my husband riding his big C90 behind me, but I like to ride alone too.  I like a faint radio playing in the background when I feel like it.  There are times that I don't listen to anything except the wind around me.  But the best is having his voice there for guidance/comfort/connection... whatever.  That's MY enjoyment while riding.  I will say that in some situations, heavy traffic for example, I have asked him to be quiet while I concentrate on the situation.  And granted, distractions are everywhere, at any time, but we all choose our own risks and ride our own ride.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/27/10 at 07:17:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/27/10 at 06:58:00:
If you want to ride a bike, Id recommend you do just that. Riding IS the entertainment, IMO. The distracting things weve come to accept in our lives may not be as good for us as weve come to believe. Just ride & focus on the ride.

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:26:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bluetooth stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.