Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical/Starter problem FIXED (Read 161 times)
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Electrical/Starter problem FIXED
07/26/10 at 13:40:52

hello, i have a 1988 savage 650 that i am fixing up. Today i finally wrapped everything up and it was time for a test start. So i hooked it up to a 12v jump starter and gave it a go....no start. My problem is that the bike seems to draw alot when the starter tries to kick the bike over and the starter will only turn every couple of pushes of the button. Basically the play by play is: I push the button...under the seat starts clicking..push the button again and the starter kinda turns..pushing it again and under the sit starts clicking again...push it again and the engine turns...push and hold the button and the engine turns for a second and then all the lights go out and there's no power to the bike, i have to wait a few seconds and there's power back to bike...and repeat. i put a volt meter to the jump starter terminals and its reading 12.7v. i also put the meter to the starter and pushed the start button and i got a max of 6v to the starter it self(which seems really low). i really need some help with this, im stuck. Any help would be great. Thanks.

« Last Edit: 07/27/10 at 16:49:54 by Dsreaper420 »  
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Electrical/Starter problem
Reply #1 - 07/26/10 at 19:55:03

Sounds to me you might have a bad connection or a bad battery or a bad starter.  Did you try jumping it?  Hook it up to your car and Put neg to the frame or the engine and pos to the starter terminal directly.  If it cranks and starts it's not the starter.(make sure its in neutral first). Most likely a bad battery even if it's showing 12v with no load it can be bad.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 20:00:04

james has got it, it's your battery.
either it needs a full charge, or you got bad connections.
it may turn over, but it won't start with 6volts.

WWW   IP Logged
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Reply #3 - 07/26/10 at 21:28:07

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Im currently charging the battery overnight and gonna try fresh in the morning. I'll update everyone when I figure it out. The bikes been sitting for 3 years so I'm hoping it's just the battery. The sooner I get it running, the sooner I can get this bike looking pretty Grin Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/27/10 at 06:46:25

been sitting for 3 years so I'm hoping it's just the battery

I wouldnt trust that battery to get me home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Reply #5 - 07/27/10 at 16:44:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/27/10 at 06:46:25:
been sitting for 3 years so I'm hoping it's just the battery

I wouldnt trust that battery to get me home.

It's not the battery I got with the bike. It's one I had lying around

IP Logged
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Reply #6 - 07/27/10 at 16:48:45

UPDATE: I jumped the bike off my car battery today and it started right up. The battery is bad. Good call guys. I'm going to order a new battery from auto zone tommorow.

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #7 - 07/31/12 at 04:37:07

james may wrote on 07/26/10 at 19:55:03:
Sounds to me you might have a bad connection or a bad battery or a bad starter.  Did you try jumping it?  Hook it up to your car and Put neg to the frame or the engine and pos to the starter terminal directly.  If it cranks and starts it's not the starter.(make sure its in neutral first). Most likely a bad battery even if it's showing 12v with no load it can be bad.

I have the same problem i did has you said here and it stll cranks over very slow from the car battery

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/05/12 at 22:12:04

mmg123 wrote on 07/31/12 at 04:37:07:
james may wrote on 07/26/10 at 19:55:03:

I have the same problem i did has you said here and it stll cranks over very slow from the car battery

Could be either a starter problem or a problem on the ground side of the circuit.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:13:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical/Starter problem FIXED

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.