Only spoken for... (Read 135 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Only spoken for...
07/25/10 at 01:35:37

...but when a man gives his word, handing over the money is only a matter of "see ya after the summer vacation".
As my Granpa used to say "A gentleman's greatest wealth is the honor of his word."  Cool

At 62, the gentleman rider of this here fine piece of machinery just couldn't care to wrestle with everyday Roman traffic any more...
...so he's getting himself a Vespa - which, by now, is as refined as any japanese plastic scooter anywhere.

Library pic, his ad is copy-protected Undecided

It's locked up in his garage, and I'll be collecting it sometime in September.

The point is, the Savage simply isn't comfortable nor powerful enough for medium/long range 2-up touring.

Here's a description of the bike.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2005-bmw-r-1200-st-2906.html

€7000 for a 5 y.o. bike may seem like a lot, but it's way past the "buy your new bike for the summer holidays" season
and I negotiated a full 20% off his original asking price  Cool

Full set of bags, ABS, and new tires.

What more could I want ?  Cool

Roll Eyes
Roll Eyes
Cheesy How about... Angelina Jolie scratching my back ?  Grin Grin Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Only spoken for...
Reply #1 - 07/25/10 at 03:23:01

7,000 pounds is a load o dough, but, thats a lot more bike. For my dollar, Id have a Miata before I dropped that kinda money on a bike, ever. Far as Im concerned, from what Ive learned in the last 5 years, cost of maintenance, cost of riding gear, depreciation, insurance, storage, care thru winter, all the hassles of owning/riding have convinced me that , FOR ME, I cant justify too great an expenditure for a bike. I wish I had bought the S-40 used instead of that good lookin, clean & sexy on the showroom floor thang I bought. Frankly, Im disappointed in it. WAY too much service time required, busted chain guide, busted clutch actuator, at 20,000 miles? Seriously?
If anyone deserves a fin ride thatll handle 2 up like a sack O beans, Its you Pesky. Hope you dont wander off.
I really enjoy/appreciate your well educated & foreign take on things. Youre not polluted by our media.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #2 - 07/25/10 at 07:15:44

Great machine, price is fair, all bmw's age well
like fine wine, their engine actually 'losens up'
after about 20-30k km and afterwards run
better than new.

With that bike hope you come visit, I'm right
behind the alps close to luxembourg!  Cheesy

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/25/10 at 07:54:02

They told me to "Keep an eye on the oil" in y new Guzzi Nevada, & that at 5,000 miles, itd break in & stop using oil. Coulda set my watch by it, It Stopped using oil at 5,000 miles. I fel the engine getting smoother & looser, just like the S40. It used to knock if I took off w/o enough RPM, but once it broke in real good, it stopped that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 07/25/10 at 09:50:48

Maurizio, nice bike, best to you!   You keeping the Savage too?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 07/25/10 at 11:31:18

A BMW close to it's natural habitat -- That's gonna be great on the Autobahn and over Stelvio Pass!

Cool

Enjoy!

(Are you keeping the Savage for around-town solo errands?)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 07/25/10 at 15:45:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/10 at 03:23:01:
7,000 pounds is a load o dough, but, thats a lot more bike. For my dollar, Id have a Miata before I dropped that kinda money on a bike, ever. Far as Im concerned, from what Ive learned in the last 5 years, cost of maintenance, cost of riding gear, depreciation, insurance, storage, care thru winter, all the hassles of owning/riding have convinced me that , FOR ME, I cant justify too great an expenditure for a bike. I wish I had bought the S-40 used instead of that good lookin, clean & sexy on the showroom floor thang I bought. Frankly, Im disappointed in it. WAY too much service time required, busted chain guide, busted clutch actuator, at 20,000 miles? Seriously?
If anyone deserves a fin ride thatll handle 2 up like a sack O beans, Its you Pesky. Hope you dont wander off.
I really enjoy/appreciate your well educated & foreign take on things. Youre not polluted by our media.

Justin, a Euro is not a Pound,Great Britain is not part of Europe, at the moment one Pound Stirling is about a $1.60. I have no idea what a euro is worth.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/25/10 at 16:47:51

so, 1.60 x 7,000 = what? Id call that a load O cash... maybe if I was a rich ol dude like you, it wouldnt be such a big deal..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/25/10 at 16:59:25

The price is in Euros, not pounds...   $1.00 = €1.29097      

$9030.00 US = €7000.00

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/25/10 at 17:44:17

Where Im from, 9 G = a load.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #10 - 07/25/10 at 18:09:55

Yup, they pay higher taxes in Europe, but they also get health care and really good roads for it.  The paving job on a typical German farm to market road puts our interstates to shame!

Heck, their bicycle path is smoother than our regular roads!

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/25/10 at 18:11:35

Quote:
Yup, they pay higher taxes in Europe, but they also get health care and really good roads for it.  The paving job on a typical German farm to market road puts our interstates to shame!

Yup,.. You get what you pay for... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 07/25/10 at 18:15:38

Oh, both systems have their share of "paid for" politicians, it's just that in Europe they get health care, great roads, and six weeks of vacation, too!

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #13 - 07/25/10 at 21:36:28

Fair price for a good motorcycle that will give him years of service.  It is what I'm considering once my daughter is thru school, or I hit the lotto.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 07/25/10 at 22:11:40

Congrats on the new bike. Quality product. If my legs went so short and my $$$ so low if would seriously look at a BMW.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:26:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Only spoken for...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.