Send Topic Print
long front forks? (Read 179 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
long front forks?
07/17/10 at 19:06:14

i recently learned why people like "apes".  - prefer the riding position, and better leverage for steering input - now i have another question...

what is the practical purpose/ benefit of long "chopper" forks?  I know at least one of you guys has them ...

(I'm thinking southwest U.S. , huge gas tank, but I can't remember who it is!)

please enlighten me  Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: long front forks?
Reply #1 - 07/17/10 at 20:12:26

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/10 at 21:37:27

Theres also a front end kit made by seeger cycle but its super pricey. Half the price of a brand new s-40.
There was a member here who had offered to make a front end kit for about $500 for anyone that was interested. Cant remember who it was off hand.
I also think Rocking John or GermanLeo (hasnt been on in a good long time) swapped the stock length forks for 3 or 4 inches over without changing the rake.

As to the benefit (1- Looks (2- More stable at highway speeds in a straight line. Good for long distance interstate travel, not good for in town/twisties.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/17/10 at 23:29:07

I saw a guy on the highway, holdin those apes, so high up it looked like he had frozen half way thru a jumpi9ng jack. No way a guy could handle that in an emergency. Braking forces would drive someone forward in that position. As for looking cool? About as "cool" as dressing like Ronald McDonald & riding that Red Bull bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/18/10 at 03:29:21

I was thinking of putting dynaglide front end on it with a set of custom slabs made and to rake it out just a couple of degrees but I am in 2 minds whether to do it or not. I do a lot of twisty road riding but i think just a couple of degrees wont perturb the handling too much. Ive never done this sort of thing before so I have a fair bit of research to do b4 i make up my mind.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/18/10 at 10:17:42

Savage forks are already raked out more than a performance oriented bike...  If you really like twistys, you should be looking to do the opposite...

No way apes give better leverage or steering input...

... and since I'm on a roll,...  no way hardtailing does anything good for handling performance or traction either...

Nothing against anyone doing any of these things, but they should be undertaken realistically, with the understanding that they are a fashion modification, and the trade off is a detriment to performance and handling...  
If you want mods that enhance performance and handling look to bikes that are built for racing...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/18/10 at 10:23:50

I've been kicking around the idea of swapping my hydraulic front end onto the Panhead and putting its Knucklehead springer on the Savage. Just to see how it looks, but, the springer axle is too big for my spare TLS drum front wheel and the 21" springer spool wheel (brakeless) is junk. I don't mean lack of brakes junk, I mean rotten rim, deteriorated spokes and wimpy bearings junk. What do I expect though, it's been in a barn for decades...

Not a big fan of the whole raked and stretched front end look. My first motorcycle (1936 Knucklehead chopper) had a 17" over stock springer. Didn't handle worth a ****. In combination with the foot clutch, tank mount shifter and goofy stock drum brake set up it was an accident waiting to happen.

If you like mountain roads, don't go long.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/18/10 at 14:11:18

Serowbot wrote on 07/18/10 at 10:17:42:
Savage forks are already raked out more than a performance oriented bike...  If you really like twistys, you should be looking to do the opposite...

No way apes give better leverage or steering input...

... and since I'm on a roll,...  no way hardtailing does anything good for handling performance or traction either...

Nothing against anyone doing any of these things, but they should be undertaken realistically, with the understanding that they are a fashion modification, and the trade off is a detriment to performance and handling...  
If you want mods that enhance performance and handling look to bikes that are built for racing...

Serowbot is absolutly correct on this one,and if you ask Midnightrider one of the best bikes you can buy for twisties,and speed ,and great milage,how about a 250cc ninja, great looking,and leave a savage in the dust,below is the one I had, just $4000 brand spanking new .

and one more if you still want to mess with a savage.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/19/10 at 05:11:22

Its not that i like twisty's its just that i live in south wales so straight flat roads just don't exist. Ive had all the sports bikes zx6/7/9 ninjas, gsxr1000 then went the ducati and buell route but then I started having back troubles and it turned out i got a benine tumur the size of a golf ball embedded in the centre of my spinal column and pain got so bad i was bed ridden for 6 mths. I got past all that  Grin and am now in a position to start riding again so i went for the savage, low light and IMO sounds really smart and thats not to mention cheap. i just think the front end of the savage leaves a little wanting  so im not sure weather to beef it up a bit with a HD front end or I might even put a set of up side downs on it, has anyone done that ?? for me the bob/chop look of the savage is really appealing.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 07/19/10 at 11:12:52

ArGaT wrote on 07/19/10 at 05:11:22:
Its not that i like twisty's its just that i live in south wales so straight flat roads just don't exist. Ive had all the sports bikes zx6/7/9 ninjas, gsxr1000 then went the ducati and buell route but then I started having back troubles and it turned out i got a benine tumur the size of a golf ball embedded in the centre of my spinal column and pain got so bad i was bed ridden for 6 mths. I got past all that  Grin and am now in a position to start riding again so i went for the savage, low light and IMO sounds really smart and thats not to mention cheap. i just think the front end of the savage leaves a little wanting  so im not sure weather to beef it up a bit with a HD front end or I might even put a set of up side downs on it, has anyone done that ?? for me the bob/chop look of the savage is really appealing.

were are you from in South Wales,I lived for many years in Swansea,in fact most of my motor cycling days were in and around Swansea.And I can NOT recomend bobbing or leagnthening your bike.
the wheel base is already to long for twisties,and if South Wales hasn't changed all there roads,you will not need a bobber,besides they are fugly.  Mick    
PS,if you live in Swansea,I used to work at "Bragg & Danials" as a motor cycle mechanic, It's located in St Helens Lane. Danials was killed practicing for the TT ,and Bragg will be old now ,but his Son Colin might be running it now.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/19/10 at 21:50:23

I had a 10/10 kit on my yahama 650 special , 10 over and 10 degree extra rake.  
The rear end was a lot easier to swing out on curves and a lot smother while doing it.
The "turn around in the middle of the road was gone .

I put taller shocks on my Savage which made the rake less and the ground clearence increase ... its hard not to like !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/20/10 at 02:56:55

Mick I live further west than there about 60 miles a place called milford haven. I've been giving the extending rake a serious think and i agree for this area would be a bad mistake as for bobbing it i like the look but might come to some comprimise about how far i go with it.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #12 - 07/22/10 at 23:57:30

If my rental house sells it will free up the cash to finally start on my Savage project.  My intent is the rigid frame from Voodoo with a 380 rake and a AME chopper front end with 180 raked trees and 10" over tubes; total rake of 560  I am under no illusions that it will handle better than stock.  I will be happy with reasonable (read ridable).  Not every modification is for improved performance; some are just because you can and you want to.   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 09:19:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › long front forks?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.