Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shift RPMs vs red line. (Read 211 times)
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
shift RPMs vs red line.
07/16/10 at 07:41:45

Trying to figure out some different gearing. I realize that there has been a lot posted on the subject in the past. I think I read somewhere that the red line is around 6500 rpm. Just curious about some of you that have rpm gages. What rpm are you at when you shift. Lets say your hitting it pretty hard trying to catch up. What rpm are you when your hitting the top when excellerating pretty hard but not real hard. Are you guys hitting the 6500 or is it somewhere closer to 5500?

I've seen some different calculators posted but I like to do it the old fashioned way. Use the numbers and just calculate it out.

Trying to get a real life experience rpm number to use rather than a red line number.

Thanks. Rich

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: shift RPMs vs red line.
Reply #1 - 07/16/10 at 09:11:09

5500 is about all my ears can stand, OF ears are of another class.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 07/16/10 at 10:19:43

I usually shift at 6k, because between 6k and 6.5k it just struggles to gain as it starts to get way past it's peak HP. I noticed shifting at 6k makes you accelerate quicker in general. Besides you can tell she REALLY doesn't like it much up there. I do rev to 6.5k occassionally just to get some rust off the pistons Grin

That's the same reason why it gets to about 85mph fairly quick and the struggles a little to make it to 90, and then to 95 it takes quiet a while. The engine has not enough power anymore at these high rpm's. That's why I wish 5th gear was longer or having a sixth gear. The bike would run with more ease on the highway.

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #3 - 07/16/10 at 11:59:27

Thanks ralfyguy.

Could you just give me a couple more things? When you're at 6500rpm in first gear... what speed are you going and what tranny do you have? The 4 speed or the 5 speed? Also what gear ratio do you have? Are you running stock pulleys or have you done the chain conversion. Either way could you count the teeth on the pulleys or sprockets for me. Thanks man. I'd really apreciate it.

Rich

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 07/16/10 at 15:20:53

There's a post here somewhere about the number of teeth on the stock belt pulleys. It's kinda hard to count them while on the bike. I got stock belt and pulleys and the 5-speed. I think 1st gear hits 35mph at 6.5k. I usually don't do first gear very high as mine is hard to shift into 2nd when revving high. She does not like to go into 2nd then and i have to get kinda rough with she shifter, which I don't like doing. I don't know if it's normal, but 1st-2nd is always kinda hard on my '06. It shifts the smoothest when shifting slow and up to 3k. That's what I usually do and then hit it hard in the remaining gears. 2nd gear hits 55mph at 6.5k and in less than 7 seconds I'm hitting 60mph, but only if I hit more than 3k in 1st.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/17/10 at 06:02:38

6500 rpm? Thats wringin its guts out needlessly. Pull away from a stop & roll the throttle on, feel it pull, feel the engine in the pegs & seat, hear the engine, it sounds good working at lower RPMs, its a big, single, its a torque makin machine, use that. Rev it up enough to have the RPM high enough to be up in the torque band when the clutch is engaged after an upshift, so you can accelerate quickly on thru the gears.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #6 - 07/17/10 at 09:05:27

Yea thats for sure. I'm just trying to figure something out. I'll just get a tach a test things out for myself. Just thought maybe someone with a tach could give me some #'s to use. The #'s Clymers has for each gear ratio don't match the numbers Gearing Commander has. And niether one seem like they're close. Gearing commander says it'll should do around 60 in first at 6500. Mine seems to top out at about 45 but not sure about my rpms at that speed. I'm thinking I am totally rapped out but without a tach I don't want to use numbers that aren't accurate. Using another calculator with the numbers that Clymers gives....it says it should top out at 74mph in first gear at 6500. These numbers just don't jive. So I guess I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 07/17/10 at 10:32:46

What you saw on Gearing Commander is 60 KPH in 1st, not MPH.
You need to switch it to MPH on top.

Here's the correct speeds at 6.5k

1st - 39.6 MPH
2nd - 54.5 MPH
3rd - 75.3 MPH
4th - 90 MPH
5th - 97.3 MPH

And this is 100% spot on with my speedo and tach.

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #8 - 07/17/10 at 11:35:19

Oh Boy. Duh. Thanks. That's way better. LOL Seems to make more sense now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:20:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shift RPMs vs red line.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.