Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The street sweeper and my bike (Read 156 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
The street sweeper and my bike
07/14/10 at 08:13:35

I worked Sunday-Tuesday, and all I wanted to do today was sleep late and then ride my bike to the range to put holes in paper.

Sleep interruptus from my nice neighbor ringing my doorbell to tell me that the street sweeper knocked my bike over. The guy tried to pick it up and it fell on the other side  Angry

Typical damage to the pegs, mirrors, saddle bag brackets cracked and smell of gas. Police report filed. Insurance company says tough luck, they can't start a claim against a municipality because of tort reform. I'll call the city, but am not going to get my hopes up.

It's only a couple hundred $$ or less, for the parts to fix this crap. I can fix it myself obviously.

Do you ever get that feeling that all you want is for people to leave alone? I cant even do a simple thing like sleep without people busting my stuff up.

FSO
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: The street sweeper and my bike
Reply #1 - 07/14/10 at 08:24:19

Dang Joe, that's a real bummer!  I think a snow plow scraped down the side of my sister's car in NYC, city vehicle, and I'm pretty sure she got them to pay for the damage.  And since the guy tried to pick it up and dropped it again, I would think there would be some leaway in there for you....  Good luck!  

Maybe instead of the range you should go to the city yard where they park the street sweepers...   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/14/10 at 08:45:14

In a right world, the guy driving the sweeeper would pay, outta his pocket. No insurance, no police reports, a simple" He did it. hes resonsible. He pays." buty that thinking cant be allowed to work, bc its too reasonable.
Id sue the man, in small claims court. Or are city employees shielded from being in trouble for what they do on the clock? If so, I guess that means if he was speeding in the sweeper, he couldnt get a ticket,
cant have it both ways..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/14/10 at 09:09:02

If the guy didn't leave contact info then it's a hit and run.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 07/14/10 at 09:10:08

Tought luck man!  I know the feeling of "I wish everyone would just leave me alone for a little while"  Maybe that will make the trigger therapy that much better.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 07/14/10 at 09:48:25

Contact your alderman.

Municipalities do have liability insurance, and aldermen like to have constituents spread the word on how they occasionally provide service.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/14/10 at 09:56:03

I got it, called the city and they said to bring in an estimate and police report. I was literally woken up by this mess, and ran outside still putting my shirt on (scared the neighbors).

One of the things I try not to do is go to the range when I'm angry. I know, i know, it doesn't make sense. I just don't want to associate any angry feelings with my firearms.

Had to laugh at Babyhog's response though Grin

Such is life. Would've been worse if I was on it when it happened Wink

FSO
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 07/14/10 at 10:20:19

Nice to hear the City seems  willing to take responsibility.  I do think the person driving the sweeper owes you an apology as well...Kim

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #8 - 07/14/10 at 10:28:31

I applaud your taking the high road! Their insurance should cover it, and getting mad only affects your blood pressure. In my experience, city officials don't get too excited about ANYTHING!...unless it's an election year!  Roll Eyes

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/14/10 at 11:16:18

That would be enough to send me postal...

What a SUCK!...

The Dali Lama should give you a merit badge... Wink...

PS,.. ripe fruit is more therapeutic than paper if you can get out of town... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/14/10 at 15:27:07

The way this was going, I thought you might have been refering to the 12 gauge street sweeper firearm.
A 12 gauge drum fed weapon for sweeping villians from the street.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 07/15/10 at 08:58:06

Phelonius wrote on 07/14/10 at 15:27:07:
The way this was going, I thought you might have been refering to the 12 gauge street sweeper firearm.
A 12 gauge drum fed weapon for sweeping villians from the street.

Phelonius

That would do more damage than what they call "the broom" in NYC. My brother used to drive one in Brooklyn.

Serobot: I need to get out of this state if I wanted to fire a handgun outside of a range. Long gun during hunting season, and in designated areas.

We will soon, with great hope, be out of this state at the end of the year. Might move back to Pennsylvania. I really do hate it here, never felt like home.

FSO
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/15/10 at 18:01:12

Geez, and I thought it was bad here. At least I can step off the front porch and blast varmints with what I want, when I want. Unincorporated part of the county... We have livestock... Range law state...

You need to move west of the Big Muddy or south of the Mason Dixon Line.

I tried to go hunting in New York, once. Got a ticket for having a loaded .22 rifle (1906ish Remington rolling block). During small game season. Apparently it is scatter guns only on Long Island... Undecided You'd think my uncle would have told me that. Of course, that only applies to natives of the island, the "Citiots" can do whatever they please. I definitely do NOT miss The Hamptons or Sag Harbor.

At our farm in TN, I was allowed 12 white tails, 4 with a bow, 4 with blackpowder, 4 modern rifle. No license required, free tags if I hunted strictly on family owned farmland. Alabama allowed 16 that same year...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:19:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › The street sweeper and my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.