Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: should cyclists be allowed to use the roads?

Yes  
  20 (71.4%)
Yes but with insurance  
  5 (17.8%)
No  
  2 (7.1%)
Every Cyclist should be shot on sight!!  
  1 (3.5%)

Total votes: 28
« Created by: ArGaT on: 07/13/10 at 11:08:44 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Road using cyclists (Read 276 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Road using cyclists
Reply #15 - 07/13/10 at 23:40:59

Midnightrider wrote on 07/13/10 at 18:46:49:
The last several months I have turned into an avid cyclist. Most of you know I have Lupus. When Mick found out I had Lupus he sent me a video about an American roadracer who has Lupus. His dream was to race the Isle of Man. He sold his house and car and moved to the Isle of Man. He trained for the race on a bicycle. I have tried every kind of exercise and my hands and feet would always swell. I cant swim because I have tubes in my ears. Back in April I was thinking about Mick's video so I bought a nice Trek Mountain Bike. I knew I couldnt last much longer just laying around the house, already had one heart attack. Last week I tripped 500 miles on the bicycle. No swelling of the hands or feet! Today I rode over 16 miles. I rode it one time on city streets and I was terrified. You'll never have to worry about me blocking traffic. The city built a 7 mi bike trail about a 1/2 mi from my home. Thats where I do the majority of my riding. Had a physical last week. My doctor was so excited about my bloodwork she called me at home. She said my bloodwork looked the best it had looked in 10 years. She asked me what I was doing different, wanted to know if I had changed my diet. I told her no change in diet. Then I told her about the bicycle. She said whatever you do, dont stop pedaling.

Well done Midnight, keep up the good work,I'm proud of you.
Portland Or,is very bike friendly they have bike lanes everywhere,however a collage proffesor was killed today,he fell off his bike and was hit by a car, so please be carefull out there,ok ? ok.
I think just about all of us were bycicle riders at one time in our lives, that is how we all fell in love with two wheel riding.I voted for the bike riders. Generaly they are ok road users.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #16 - 07/14/10 at 01:40:59

They recently found that rideing as little as 15 minutes a day could almost completely remove the effects of alzheimers(sp).
The longer a person rode the more it seemed to help and the longer they went, able to act and function pretty much normaly.
The hope is it might work with stroke victims ect as well.
They dont know WHY it works though.

Myself i say we just up the cyclist worth from 10 to 15 points in a game of roadkill and keep playing...lol

Actualy the ones that bug me the most is the 14-15 year old girl in shorts and a t-shirt WITH a passanger, no helmets, probably no license, definitely lil experiance and buzzing down the road at 60 or 70 mph or through traffic in town.

IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #17 - 07/14/10 at 04:09:36

I voted for cyclists to use the roads,as UK law stands a cyclist is subjected to the road traffic act and the highway code as is any other road user.The rules for cyclists are stated in a seperate section of the Highway Code as is for motorcycles,pedestrians, etc.After saying that,I must agree with a lot of you on their basic "don't give a f**k atitude,they seem to ride where they want and when they want and are totally obliveous of any other road user,stop signs or lights.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #18 - 07/14/10 at 06:17:13

ArGaT wrote on 07/13/10 at 12:01:46:
So morn are you saying that at traffic lights you are not allowed legally to filter through traffic but have to do a full leave the lane and re enter at the front of the queue?
If so im glad we dont have that requirement coz there would be no point in having a MC might aswell get a nice convertable and sit in traffic.

Yeah, in Illinois you are not allowed to filter, split lanes, share lanes etc. The problem is people who think that you should share lanes when they want you to share, but not when it would be convenient or advantageous to a Motorcyclist or Bike rider. I guess a lot of them would probably say that MC and Bike riders should not be on public roads. And if you pull out and around one of those and try to re-enter at the front of the queue, you would be likely to get run over, or at least get honked/yelled at. I've had people open doors, swerve over, throw things at me and one guy pulled up beside me in a green pick-up truck - somethings you don't forget, and deliberately ran me off the road. The road was pretty much empty, and had two lanes in each direction. I was doing about 40 mph downhill and didn't see the parallel grate in front of me. Bystanders said I flew about 25 feet before landing and then rolling/sliding to a stop. They thought I was dead, but I was just laying there taking inventory. Turns out I had road rash, but no serious injuries.

Youzguys -
As far as passing on secondary roads in Illinois, the no passing zones indicate when it is too dangerous to pass, because of line of sight etc.,  but there are very few of them that extend for any distance (making it easy to get around any vehicle that is going 5mph). Most of our secondary roads are way too narrow to allow three vehicles side by side, even if one is a bicycle, so passing in these areas is just asking eventually to run into a head-on collision or to side swipe someone. Also, the shoulders on a lot of Illinois roads are non-existent so moving over to allow someone to "play through" your lane means that you are in the ditch. I've never run into the situation that you describe in Texas. Probably because when I visited Texas I've usually been in fairly heavily populated areas or travelling from city to city, so even the secondary roads tended to be fairly straight with plenty of areas to pass, or multiple lanes in each direction. Any road in Illinois that had 20 miles of no passing double yellow lines probably wouldn't be safe at much over 5 mph in any case.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #19 - 07/14/10 at 11:21:30

I voted yes. I ride on the Katy trail in Missouri and on the streets of our subdivision. I think the average cyclist is pretty reasonable about following the rules of the road. The bike couriers on the other hand are NOTORIOUS for taking every advantage and aren't worried about getting caught. My solution would be to require them as a licensed business to wear a mesh vest similar to those required of DOT workers with a registration tag similar to a license plate so they can be tracked and reported. The time they'd have to spend in court or answering to a dispatcher is time they're NOT making money! The problem with that is its such a cutthroat business they'll be calling each others #s in with bogus reports trying to trash the competition.  Roll Eyes

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 07/14/10 at 12:09:36

I ride bicycle 6 miles a day 7 days a week I ride in town always, I never stop a stop signs,I have trails 2 blocks from my house their hundreds of miles of trails here in wisconsin and illinois .I wouldn't be seen with those goofy helmets. I never ride the trails hardly.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 07/14/10 at 15:45:15

If the cyclist follows the real rules I have no beef with them. BUT, out here the elementary schools teach the kids to ride against traffic. Major cities are closing arterials to motor vehicles in favor of pedal power, and taking away big rig space in the ports for bicycles, and where do the dummies ride? Right down the middle of the lane, in front of my 104000# road weight heavy haul Peterbilt.... I could make a road pizza out of one and never know it until the wash crew complained (blood is hard to get off of oxidized white paint).

I've been known to smack lane hog bicyclists with a CB antenna as I drive by on occasion... Or kick over ones riding through the crosswalk...

As far as I'm concerned if you can't play by the rules of the road you are fair game for whatever bit of evil pops into my mind at the moment.

Bicycles are kinda like chrome, what's the point?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/14/10 at 20:37:01

Just as cars and trucks ignore the motorcyclist the bicyclist is little more than an after thought. If you have ridden in traffic for a few years you know that the laws were written for four wheel vehicles, and following them to the letter is he quickest way I know of to become a statistic. I try to keep in mind that pedestrian traffic, and bicycle traffic came way before vehicular traffic.
I rode a bicycle in traffic in downtown Tampa for two years. During this time I witnessed one man being rundown and was in several very close calls. I learned pretty quickly that following rules written for cars was a quick ticket to the hospital.
I would ask you to cut the bicyclist some slack. Bikes and motorcycles have a different set of dynamics and need a different set of rules.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #23 - 07/15/10 at 07:51:09

I agree the cycles should be allowed on the roads, but if you're on the road, you need to follow the same rules as everyone else on the road, especially pertaining to stop signs and such.  As Mick says, Portland has tons of bikes, which is cool.  However, a lot of them act like they own the road, which isn't.  I've seen tons of them blowing stop signs and red lights.  I've almost hit one when making a right turn with my signal on, and one came breezing past me on the right, in my blind spot.  Not cool! Angry

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:32:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Road using cyclists

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.