Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to do with my molested, beat to hell savage? (Read 229 times)
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What to do with my molested, beat to hell savage?
07/13/10 at 09:40:55

I bought an '87 savage off of craigslist a little while back for $220, running, legal with a clear title.  It has some crappy muffler on it, the wiring is an unholy mess (I SUCK with wiring), it has 24,XXX miles and the single bobber seat is strapped to the frame with a piece of rope.  Even with all of this I am still loving riding this bike around!  My goal right now is to get a better mount for the seat and try to fix my wiring and any help y'all can give me with these would be much appreciated.  the main thing Im worried about with the wiring is there are no rear running lights and my left side turn signal does not work.  It looks like somebody put the wrong light in the turn signal and license plate light and they melted the plastic.  Would those circuits ont being complete make my rear light not work (the brake light comes on, just not the running light)?  Any ideas on the seat would be great, cause I dont have a one.  Thanks a lot guys!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What to do with my molested, beat to hell sava
Reply #1 - 07/13/10 at 09:50:00

First check the bulb,... it's a two filament,... one for running, one for brake... if the running is burned out, no worky...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #2 - 07/13/10 at 10:07:40

Get a digital vom and the tech manual(search clymer manual savage on piratebay.org)

Look at the circuit diagrams and determine when wiring problems could be causing issues and replace the bulbs with oe bulbs.  Check all the switches fuses and relays for proper operation.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/13/10 at 10:12:51

james may wrote on 07/13/10 at 10:07:40:
Get a digital vom and the tech manual(search clymer manual savage on piratebay.org)

Look at the circuit diagrams and determine when wiring problems could be causing issues and replace the bulbs with oe bulbs.

I have the clymer manual, and I can read a wiring diagram, its just when I try to find the wires on the bike itself i get cross eyed and go into a seizure.  Guess there is no time like the present to learn though...

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #4 - 07/13/10 at 10:28:50

Dude, make that into the craziest mad max survival bike.  surround the lights with a metal grill, mount two ammo boxes for bags, and have duct tape and bungee chords hold the rest of it down.

P.S.  i have a gel seat that would fit that if your interested

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/13/10 at 10:54:37

I like the sound of this...  The gel seat sounds great for my tushy, but it would probably double the value of the bike, and thats more money than i want to throw at it... Unless you have a good deal on it  Wink

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - 07/13/10 at 12:08:57

I think I have a tail light assembly minus the license plate light which is on my john deere dash. Yours if you want it.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #7 - 07/13/10 at 14:10:13

$60 and its yours

aatif96   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 07/13/10 at 14:12:39

The manual should have connector views.  Start at the problem point like the tail light and check for 12 volts when it's on and move down the line one connector at a time until you get 12 volts.  The problem will be between those two connectors.  If you get 12 at the bulb conection you could have a bad bulb or a bad ground.  The manual may also have color coded for wires but not always reliable.  Also can start from the begining and start with the switch that turns the non working part on.  

There's not many connectors either.  You've got the fron lights connctor, the switches, the tank spedo connector the ignition connector and individual connectors for the tail lights and brake lights and the fuses and relays that there's only a few of.  Bikes are a great place to learn mechanics and electrical since they have easy access light weight and simplicity.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/14/10 at 16:01:08

I've got a spare plate light/holder dealy off a 98. Whatever it costs to ship and you can have the thing. I run a full rear fender off an FLH Shovelhead, curved plate mount and either HD Knucklehead beehive or Panhead tombstone tail light (depending on my mood and how much my wife has been squawking about the illegal beehive light).

I've got a solo seat pivot I could use as a pattern to make one for yours. And a set of hairpin springs I don't need...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/15/10 at 04:21:21

WD wrote on 07/14/10 at 16:01:08:
I've got a spare plate light/holder dealy off a 98. Whatever it costs to ship and you can have the thing. I run a full rear fender off an FLH Shovelhead, curved plate mount and either HD Knucklehead beehive or Panhead tombstone tail light (depending on my mood and how much my wife has been squawking about the illegal beehive light).

I've got a solo seat pivot I could use as a pattern to make one for yours. And a set of hairpin springs I don't need...

I could definitely use the plate light holder, mine is melted...  I would like to set up hairpins, put I dont think my crap ass plastic pan seat has anywhere to mount them...  Let me know what it would be to ship to 78739 and I'll paypal the moola tomorrow!

IP Logged
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/15/10 at 04:24:56

Hashbrown wrote on 07/13/10 at 10:28:50:
Dude, make that into the craziest mad max survival bike.  surround the lights with a metal grill, mount two ammo boxes for bags, and have duct tape and bungee chords hold the rest of it down.

I'm currently searching for an adequate headlight bucket for this, Im thinking I can find something off of an ATV or truck grill guard that would fit the bill...

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #12 - 07/15/10 at 07:07:08

Sick.  if you go mad max you have to take pics and post it.  always wanted to see a savage ratted out

aatif96   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to do with my molested, beat to hell savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.