Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Fender... Finally! (Read 339 times)
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Rear Fender... Finally!
07/10/10 at 19:26:42

The past couple of weekends have been my "mini project that I've put on hold for way too long"... The weekend it was tackling some minor things on the Festiva... Fixed a crack in the tail light, pulled out the radiator suppoer to realign the drivers headlight after a minor fender bender... Let's the hood close a lot better too, fixing the gauge cluster so that it lights up all the time, etc........

I picked up a trailer fender sometime last year... I pulled off the rear fender sometime late fall, and have been riding around fenderless the few times I've been on the bike this spring.

Today, the bug bit and I decided to get started on the project. Going off of several posts on the board, I started with the bottom holes. I didn't want to have to cut out for the belt, so I just moved the fender up a bit so that it should be out of the way a bit. Aligned, got it all mocked up and then drilled holes for the top bolts.

I was a little unsure of what I wanted... The "full fender" look was pretty sweet, but would've been more to mount to keep it off the tire.

This was the first mock up, without having the top bolts in place.

It gives it that nice, completed look from the rear...

But since I've gone bobberish around the rest of the bike... I figured it would look complete to trim it down to size. I cut it off a little bit behind the mid part of the tire.

So to mount it... I added a 2" spacer and got some longer bolts for up top. I need to make the bottom holes a little longer so that they fit correctly. I have some 1.5" spacers for there, but I believe they will need to be trimmed down a little.

Couple of things that need to be taken care of before it's complete. I need to make it straight across, it's a little waved from my sawzall. I also need to round off the ends so that it doesn't stab someone. And then finally, some paint. I'll probably end up going flat black on it for now. I might go that route with the whole bike, or I may end up having it painted the color of the rest of the bike.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments? Anyone think I'll run into issues with the tire slamming into the fender with it being mounted to the frame instead of the swingarm? It's not RIGHT on top of the tire, but it's pretty close.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Fender... Finally!
Reply #1 - 07/10/10 at 20:19:37

check full compression of the shocks, does it hit the tire?

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/11/10 at 07:30:45

Don't think so... I'm a tiny guy (140 lbs) too, so I think it'll be fine. Now just to pull it off, grind those sides down a bit and then spray a quick coat of paint over it and I'll be fine. Smiley

Forgot to mention... But lastly I'll need to figure out some form of a mount for turn signals. I'm thinking of going with a set similar to a new model of HD's where their turn signals double as the brake lights. That would take care of what I wanted to do with the brake light at the same time. Just not sure where I would mount them from.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 07/11/10 at 09:39:30

sweet man! what are u gonna do with the tank? something off the wall as well?

i love the pipe on that!

and do u not have a light on the license plate? i'm jealous, no vertical and need lights down here!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/11/10 at 11:38:55

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/11/10 at 07:30:45:
Forgot to mention... But lastly I'll need to figure out some form of a mount for turn signals. I'm thinking of going with a set similar to a new model of HD's where their turn signals double as the brake lights. That would take care of what I wanted to do with the brake light at the same time. Just not sure where I would mount them from.

Electricalconnection.com has turn signal conversion kits. Just hook it up and ditch the stock tail light. Keeps the stock yellow lense and the signals flash alternating between red and yellow.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #5 - 07/12/10 at 11:42:31

i did my first fender like that. had some issues with the tire bumping the bolt heads and tearing my tire a new a$$. heres pic of the fender and damage: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270615431/10#10
if you're gonna do it, stiffen the shocks all the way and probably move the fender up more than it is in those photos

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Nathan

warm pavement.

Canada
Reply #6 - 07/12/10 at 14:54:40

groupus wrote on 07/12/10 at 11:42:31:
i did my first fender like that. had some issues with the tire bumping the bolt heads and tearing my tire a new a$$. heres pic of the fender and damage: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270615431/10#10
if you're gonna do it, stiffen the shocks all the way and probably move the fender up more than it is in those photos

Looked super good until it shredded your tire tho! How do you tighten up your shocks??

86' ls650 Suzuki Savage.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/12/10 at 15:06:43

You will see a hole in the bottom part of the shock,Stick a big Philip screwdriver in it and turn it you will see the bottom move up unless your all way up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 07/12/10 at 23:09:31

Looks like there is alot of room in there with the oe fender removed.. betcha could chop off those pipes that the seat rests on and extend the seat back and down a few inches and then that would afford room for a longer tank.. (not really pertaining to the discussion much, but good pictures of the whole back end all stripped out got me thinking on how to make my bike more custom chopper looking.. )

I like the fender and the seat you have on the bike..  there's too much space between the fender and the frame though, but if you mount it close to the frame there would be too much space between the tire and the frame.  Best looking if you can stand a hard tail would be to install hard struts that drop the tire down closer to the frame and hook the fender up close to the frame IMO.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/12/10 at 23:29:48

Yep,.. your scrawny 140lb ass, ain't gonna' do near what my huge 145lb ass does...

That tire's gonna' bottom hard enough to lock the back wheel...
You need more clearance or,... you need to use fender struts and have the fender move with the swingarm and the wheel...

This could be dangerous!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #10 - 07/14/10 at 09:47:48

Cheesy

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 07/14/10 at 17:14:35

Hmmm..... Guess I might have to redo the design a little bit yet then. Wink I don't need to put a hole in my tire or anything.

I do agree... I could always hardtail it, drop the frame to the tire a bit, fix the length of the fender so it's "up", and then put springs on the seat... I've heard that hardtailing is hard on the back though, even with seat springs... Anyone?

Also waiting for install is a set of 10" mini apes that I picked up last year too. Got the Savage cables and risers to match, just haven't started on that project yet.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/14/10 at 17:36:17

You could also mount the fender to move with the tire by using fender stays that attach to the swingarm, instead of the frame...

I was going to do that,... but it was too much bother for me...
...this one is a front for a 750 honda...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Fender... Finally!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.