Send Topic Print
Pulling Headcover (Read 276 times)
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Pulling Headcover
07/06/10 at 21:38:04

Hi I'm new here, just joined but been watching and reading what you good folks have had to say for about a year, since I bought my 09 S40 new in June of 09. Anyway I'm about 200 miles short of the 4000 mile service, and I'm wondering how many of you pull the headcover and retorque the head every 3500 miles like the factory service manual says. I own four bikes, will be 59 years old next month and been riding since I was a kid and I've never heard of such a thing. Want to know what you folks think.
Ron

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Pulling Headcover
Reply #1 - 07/06/10 at 22:09:14

So what are you?... anti-social?...
'Bout time you said hi...Grin Grin Grin...

You probably should,... but I didn't 'till I started getting a little weepage at around 6k...

... haven't done it since...25k and counting...
... but, if you haven't checked your valve adjustment since new,... I'd at least do that...  it's not that hard at all...
If the first check isn't too far off,... you can go 6k between checks after that...

If you start to get oil weeping from the head, then you need to re-torque...

Welcome to the site,... don't be a stranger...
We're not that popular of a bike,... we need all the friends we can get...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/06/10 at 22:18:38

that would be like... every 3 or 4 months for me.
naw, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/07/10 at 02:00:19

First time head torque servicing is where young ignorant service techs get to screw up your bike (the head plug especially) so they can start their vampirish feeding chain, sucking monetary life-blood from your veins pocket ....

You do need to adjust your valves though.   You can do that, it easy enough.

Then you can wait until the head plug leak starts naturally  at somewhere less than 15,000 miles, and then fix it yourself.  You can do the head torque then.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/07/10 at 05:12:05

Ive got 20,000 miles on mine, never touched a head bolt. I was gonna, when I did the cam & chain, but got so involved in it, I fergotted! Ooopsies..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/07/10 at 05:29:30

RC wrote on 07/06/10 at 21:38:04:
Hi I'm new here, just joined but been watching and reading what you good folks have had to say for about a year, since I bought my 09 S40 new in June of 09. Anyway I'm about 200 miles short of the 4000 mile service, and I'm wondering how many of you pull the headcover and retorque the head every 3500 miles like the factory service manual says. I own four bikes, will be 59 years old next month and been riding since I was a kid and I've never heard of such a thing. Want to know what you folks think.
Ron

I've been riding bikes for years you don't need to worry about valves or cam chains for a lot of miles,Some people here like to take things apart,And they have problems from then on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/07/10 at 05:46:03

My bike needed frequent valve adjustments early on. I think the adjusters & contact points involved have work hardened , things have seated, etc, & now it goes a lot longer between valve adjustments. Listen to the engine. If its really noisy, then adjust valves, but to simply atate it doesnt need maintanace w/o the luxury of being there is pretty strange, IMO.
Ohh, & Bill, Ive created myself exactly zero maintenace hassles so far, so, youre talkin outchyerbutt..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/07/10 at 05:52:29

My wifes 1980 GN 400 ran 25000 miles,Nothing every done to it,Still ran good and engine was quiet the day it was traded in.You wannabe grease monkeys should leave you bikes along then they would always be running.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/07/10 at 05:59:12

You should contact Suzuki & offer to amend their maintenance manual for them. Those idiot engineers clearly know nothing,

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 07/07/10 at 06:05:12

Don't forget that Bill uses only Klotz Racing Oil in the engine, and Seafoam in the fuel. And he doesn't muck about with batteries during the winter, either.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/07/10 at 06:23:15

2 1983 Suzuki 1 28000  the other 32000 nothing every done,I must just be lucky. You don't need to change brake fluid or change tire tubes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/07/10 at 15:47:00

Do it once at about 3500 and forget about it until you need to pull the head for something else.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #12 - 07/07/10 at 22:07:02

Thanks for all the input, I was hoping you would say I didn't need to do it, looks like a good way to create an oil leak to me. This S40 is by far my favorite bike and I don't want to screw it up. The dealer did the 600 mile service. I will do the rest, I'll change the sparkplug adjust the valves change the oil ect, but I'll leave the headcover alone until it gives me cause.
Serowbot Hi, I have learned a lot from all of you but until now had nothing to add. As you can see I still don't it was just a question. I'll be around.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/08/10 at 05:01:28

Your sparkplug shouldnt need changed yet.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/08/10 at 20:48:00

RC wrote on 07/06/10 at 21:38:04:
Ron

I've retorqued the head bolts on mine (see signature) every 3400 miles.

I'm unlucky enough in these matters that I'd blow a head gasket for sure if I neglected this maintenance item.   Sad

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pulling Headcover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.