Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Pulling Headcover
Reply #15 - 07/09/10 at 19:32:51

Can't say that I have ever checked the head bolt torque on my '02. Bought the bike used and have been riding it since with no leaks. I do check the valve lash every 4k miles or so. If it bothers you then do it yourself, at least you will know that it was done right. Stay away from the dealerships, the mechanics are a bunch of monkeys with hammers.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #16 - 07/10/10 at 12:00:35

Hey RC, I pulled my head cover only to fix the plug cap leak on my '95. I checked the torque on the head bolts, they were fine, and this was at 20,000 miles. I'm sure they had never been touched by the previous two owners. Just my .02 cents.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/10/10 at 15:38:45

Good point.

DIGGER, when you do the head bolts, are you turning them or is it just clicking the wrench?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 07/10/10 at 21:12:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/10 at 15:38:45:
Good point.

DIGGER, when you do the head bolts, are you turning them or is it just clicking the wrench?

Normally (on other engines that do not specifically call for this maintenance), I just click the wrench.

However, on the Savage, the book specifically implies that you remove each head bolt (the four on the top and one each in the front and the back of the cylinder), lube the threads with oil, and torque.

So, that's what I do.

PIA?  Yes.  Am I worried about blowing a head gasket?  No.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/11/10 at 04:21:31

Ahhh, I didnt realize the book calls for remove/lube ,, thatd pretty much make my ? a bit silly.

If you ever decide to sell that thing, just have the potential buyer come in here. Youll surely be able to get top dollar.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 07/11/10 at 18:26:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/10 at 04:21:31:
Ahhh, I didnt realize the book calls for remove/lube ,, thatd pretty much make my ? a bit silly.

If you ever decide to sell that thing, just have the potential buyer come in here. Youll surely be able to get top dollar.

I'm probably gonna keep it a good long time.....that's why I'm so big on the PM.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:23:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pulling Headcover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.