Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
removing chrome head covers (Read 80 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
removing chrome head covers
07/06/10 at 07:37:39

i want to remove my chrome head covers but i was wondering what is to be done with that one bolt that goes on with the head.do i need to take my head off, remove it, reseal it? and then wont there be a hole there. i havent gotten in there to see what i could do with it and i dont completely remember what it looked like when i did my plug cap fix a few months ago. what have you guys done with it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: removing chrome head covers
Reply #1 - 07/06/10 at 08:09:28

slip a vac line hose on it, cut it so just a couple threads show and put the acorn nut back on to secure it.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #2 - 07/06/10 at 08:15:05

verslagen1 wrote on 07/06/10 at 08:09:28:
slip a vac line hose on it, cut it so just a couple threads show and put the acorn nut back on to secure it.

so the vac line hose is to give the nut something to tighten down to?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/06/10 at 08:49:10

When I took my head covers off i left the bolt rattle around in there for a while and ended up with a very small leak.

To solve this, i took a small section of 1/2 iron pipe, cut it down to size, tossed on a washer or two and bolted her back up. no problems since.

I think someone else once mentioned you could take a dremel tool and cut off the head of the bolt, slide it out, and replace it with a smaller bolt (with the head of the new bolt at the top and then nut down in that crevice). haven't looked at doing that though.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 07/06/10 at 14:17:04

spacepirates wrote on 07/06/10 at 08:49:10:
When I took my head covers off i left the bolt rattle around in there for a while and ended up with a very small leak.

To solve this, i took a small section of 1/2 iron pipe, cut it down to size, tossed on a washer or two and bolted her back up. no problems since.

I think someone else once mentioned you could take a dremel tool and cut off the head of the bolt, slide it out, and replace it with a smaller bolt (with the head of the new bolt at the top and then nut down in that crevice). haven't looked at doing that though.

definitely use some sort of way to secure it. either of these ways would be fine. i ended up using a short section of copper pipe under the acorn nut after i saw some oil start seeping out there.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 11:08:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing chrome head covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.