Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
anyone have problems with cone filter? (Read 150 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
anyone have problems with cone filter?
07/05/10 at 21:06:42

thinking of going the external filter route. i read hundreds of posts and never really heard of too much trouble so i was just wonderin. i will be putting on a fairly open pipe like the one on bluecollarbobbers as well. will i be down to super crappy mpg? any input is welcome(such as recommended jet size)

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: anyone have problems with cone filter?
Reply #1 - 07/05/10 at 21:46:00

Easy to do, I had a bit of trouble getting the stock airbox out, but that was probably me just being terrible at things.

make sure you get a breather filter for the vent line off the top of the head. might need a hose coupling for it too...

I've got a very open pipe (now that the baffles blew out, anyways), and a $10 cone air filter off ebay with no real problems.

running a 155 main that is too lean, stock spacer, and a pilot jet that i don't recall the size of. i'm going to try a 157.5 main once i get my darn mixture screw fixed. i screwed the head of it up pretty bad when i drilled out the plug...

i'm also at about 35mpg, but that has been that way since before the air filter. probably didn't do the valves right last time or something...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #2 - 07/05/10 at 23:20:53

the cone filter is an excellent mod    the hardest part is removing the old air box Wink

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #3 - 07/06/10 at 07:13:45

spacepirates wrote on 07/05/10 at 21:46:00:
Easy to do, I had a bit of trouble getting the stock airbox out, but that was probably me just being terrible at things.

make sure you get a breather filter for the vent line off the top of the head. might need a hose coupling for it too...

I've got a very open pipe (now that the baffles blew out, anyways), and a $10 cone air filter off ebay with no real problems.

running a 155 main that is too lean, stock spacer, and a pilot jet that i don't recall the size of. i'm going to try a 157.5 main once i get my darn mixture screw fixed. i screwed the head of it up pretty bad when i drilled out the plug...

i'm also at about 35mpg, but that has been that way since before the air filter. probably didn't do the valves right last time or something...

35mpg doesnt sound too nice Sad i'm pretty much stock right now  except for the dyna muff and i get about 120 miles out of a tank of gas before reserve(raptor). also i was hoping i wouldnt have to go that big on the jet size. do you think maybe a 1/2 spacer and a mix screw adjustment would keep you from having to up the jet?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 07/06/10 at 07:25:36

RTC wrote on 07/06/10 at 07:13:45:
35mpg doesnt sound too nice Sad i'm pretty much stock right now  except for the dyna muff and i get about 120 miles out of a tank of gas before reserve(raptor). also i was hoping i wouldnt have to go that big on the jet size. do you think maybe a 1/2 spacer and a mix screw adjustment would keep you from having to up the jet?

well, like i said, i don't think my crap gas mileage is because of the air filter.

if you look at what jets affect what throttling, you'll see that only the main jet is used during WOT, but only kicks in around 3/4 throttle. spacer affects 1/8 to 7/8, and the mixture screw only goes from 0 to 1/4. So adjusting that screw as much as you want doesn't affect the main jet.

by adding the cone filter and a hi-flow muffler, you're allowing more air in/out and you'll have to compensate by allowing more fuel, but your mpg shouldn't drop near as low as mine, there was a thread a while ago about mpgs... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245549045/0 so it looks like you can expect anywhere from 45-55 mpg after the mods depending on your own physical build and riding style.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1252969726/3#3
and
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1271638502/11#11
both give some more info on mpg and mods.

--
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #5 - 07/06/10 at 07:34:24

ok cool. i'm still trying to wrap my head around all this rejetting stuff. i understand that each jet covers a certain range of throttle but it seems from my reading and diamondjim's (i think?) progressive jetting chart that changing one will effect the other. i havent messed with rejetting yet but i want to learn as much as i can before i do. hopefully i can get it right the first time.....yeah right

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 07/06/10 at 08:09:54

Seeing as how i'm yet to get the jetting right on my bike, i might not be the best to talk to, and most likely you won't get the jets just right on the first try as it is a trial and error process...

hopefully you can read that... basically what it says is that the different circuits overlap some for the carb. keep in mind that isn't our exact carb, per say, but it is just for an idea. at most places there are two circuits in use at a time, but at the extreme ends (fully open and idle) only one is in use. so yeah, jets affect each other, and you can sometimes compensate one jet for another, but since the idle and main are at entirely opposite ends of the spectrum, they won't really do that.

and trust me when i say you can spend days on this site learning about jetting, and freaking weeks actually doing it.

www.mikuni.com/pdf/hs40_manual.pdf

i printed this out and read it. again, it is not our carb, but the tuning should be almost identical. some people suggest different ways of tuning it than what that manual says, so don't take it as the one and only way of doing things. i'm sure other people will agree, the only REAL way of getting jets EXACTLY right, would be running your bike on a specific throttle circuit for 15-20 minutes, killing the bike at that instant on the side of the road, and looking at what the spark plug tells you (generally that light is lean and dark is rich) but even then, the precise coloration of the perfect running spark plug is not known to me...

read the forum, read the manual, give it a shot, and feel free to come back for advice. hopefully someone with a bit more experience than me will chime in here with a few pearls of wisdom....

--
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 07/06/10 at 14:38:09

its kinda a toss up. if you like the way the bike runs now, there should be no reason to change that. i put on a harley muffler - pretty open with a scoop-like baffle - and adjusted and jetted from 145 to 150 main. that was great, 60-70 mpg, loud, and zippy. i did a cone air filter and cannot seem to get the tuning right. with the same jet setup, i could tell its lean with a flat spot at about 3/4 and 50-55 mpg. went bigger jets to no avail. went 1/2 spacer and 150 main and got 35-40+ mpg  Sad. bigger jets on that only worsened it. have 3/4 spacer now with 150 and its anywhere from 40-50 mpg. also have the pilot screw about the whole way out - i know i need a bigger pilot, but its good enough for now.

long story short, cone air filter is a guaranteed drop in mpg. I haven't seen a noticeable performance increase. anyone have dyno tested results after this mod? my dad's stock seems quicker. i do like the look though without the airbox. probably wouldn't do it again for the hassle IMHO

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/06/10 at 14:58:14

Cone is for looks only,S40 comes with a tuned intake,It tuned to the power band of the torquey engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 07/07/10 at 02:03:19

bill67 wrote on 07/06/10 at 14:58:14:
Cone is for looks only,S40 comes with a tuned intake,It tuned to the power band of the torquey engine.

And noise  you get a nice induction sound

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:41:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › anyone have problems with cone filter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.