Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken clutch holder hook- Fix?? (Read 105 times)
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Broken clutch holder hook- Fix??
07/05/10 at 08:24:41

Ok so I was attempting to fix the speedo cable leak & as I was turning left to loosen(wrong way), I broke the hook.  This is the hook that holds the clutch cable in place. It's a metal piece that keeps the clutch put & I'm not sure how to fix it.

I was thinking of getting some adhesive to glue the piece back into place. Some type of strong epoxy that can withstand pressure, heat, and bonds metal. Then I was thinking in order to secure it, I would need to rig it together with a wire.  The run a wire, kinda like a tie-wrap around the speedo cable and those nuts on the clutch cable.  

Do you think this would work without welding or do I need to find a welder fast.  

(Uh, I wish my streak of bad luck would just go away Sad  Still haven't found a mechanic in the New England area)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268286763/0

THANKS!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Broken clutch holder hook- Fix??
Reply #1 - 07/05/10 at 08:39:13

Bummer,... I don't think any epoxy's or JBWeld, is going to hold...
I think it's time for a trip to the machine shop...
Maybe they can drill and pin it,... or fab something...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/05/10 at 09:00:01

Did you break the part the clutch cable hooks into that pulls the clutch arm up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #3 - 07/05/10 at 09:01:48

Mine was broke off when I got my bike. Here's what I did. I took a short piece of 1/2" x 1/8" of strap metal. I bent it around a 5/8 inch bolt.  That gave me the bend I needed. Slid in on tight and drilled a 6mm hole to bolt it in place. It'll last forever. It's stronger than the old piece. You can get the strap from TSC or maybe home depot or lowes.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 07/05/10 at 09:06:10

Mine broke the other week or so, I ended up using a hose clamp and clamped it on tight. I tried welding it back on but that didn't work out too well.

The idea above looks really good. Gonna try that next

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/05/10 at 10:19:58

Ahhh, okay, now I get it. The pedestal that holds the end of the clutch cable that has the housing & threads & stuff busted off. Man, thats a bummer. The solution pictured above is an elegant one. Id go that way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #6 - 07/05/10 at 13:23:54

@ LS-Rich - Thanks so much. I was thinking of the same thing, but was trying to do the other for a quick fix til I get a piece of metal to do what you did. Yours looks really nice, thanks for the pics and how-to.

@Justin, yup that's the piece.  I attempted to load a pic but it was saying it was too big.

Man I have had some crummy luck since last Saturday.  It all started when I rode to work on my bike and it wouldn't start when I came out. So I jumped the battery so I could get home(clamped the positive & clamped the negative to the engine fin).  I found it was the battery and had to order one cus noone had one in the area(sealed battery and it's installed).  That night my Jeep, hit & run outside of my house (3rd hit and run ever and in RI in 3 years-other 2 were another car). I called around to my neighbors and luckily one of my neighbor's nephew fessed up, albeit 12 hours later(3.5K worth of damage).  I start my new job tomorrow and I am still working the old one, so I'm on day 3 of 19 of working straight in a row.  I also managed to give my ipod a 30gb ipod a bath this week; it's now dead.

So yeah, stressed and I guess I didn't know my own strength. Darn thing just snapped right off, so I need to fix it so I can get around to my new job or until they get me my rental car.  

Again, thanks so much guys!!

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 07/05/10 at 16:53:24

Did you let your iPod dry out? My ex-girlfriend did the same thing to her iPod TWICE! and we threw it into a pouch of uncooked rice and let it dry. Worked afterwards, until she washed it a 3rd time and the iPod called it quits.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #8 - 07/05/10 at 21:34:51

@kevinphan  
I placed it in a cup of water that I leave in the cupholder for my doggie. I forgot to cap the water when I drove off like I normally do and placed the ipod directly in the water.  I quickly removed it & tried to dry it out before I could make it home.

Yes, I tried the rice method.  The click wheel is not responding. Also after charging for hours, I unplug it and it shows the battery is low, only after seeing the battery indicator fully green.  I opened the case after that with a guitar pick to see if there was still water in there, nada.

It's in really nice condition otherwise, lol.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken clutch holder hook- Fix??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.