Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Riding Apparel (am I alone?) (Read 787 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Riding Apparel (am I alone?)
Reply #45 - 07/07/10 at 19:16:17

Full face helmet, riding jacket, boots, gloves, jeans. I'll put on the chaps if I'm going any distance on the hiway.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Overdrive
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 07/08/10 at 07:14:51

I personally don't like seeing someone on any type of road bike wearing minimal or no actual gear, but to each his own.  If they were a loved one I'd be more of a jackass about it and harass them about it, but the guy who loves to fly up my street on his custom chopper wearing sunglasses, a loose cutoff sleeve t-shirt, shorts, and low boots trying to set off car alarms and wake up the geriatrics can do what he wants.  I simply hope he doesn't become a statistic.  I can't make him change his mind.

I'm not going to call anyone an idiot, because we have free will for a reason.  I prefer to wear a full helmet, textile or leather jacket with armor in the shoulders, elbows, back and chest, thick jeans with some kevlar stitched into a few spots, full leather gloves and the boots the military issued me.  I'm also looking to pick up some knee and shin protectors to wear under the jeans.  I don't care if it was over 100 degrees plus humidity (like it was two days ago over here), I'm wearing it all and carrying plenty of water.  I like my skin and can tolerate the current arrangement of my face.  I want to try and keep things the way they are...I don't need asphalt or someone's hood to rearrange things for me.  I look at the gear like insurance: you have it, and just hope you'll never need to put it to use.

For me, riding isn't something I can just jump up, grab the keys and go gearless.  Sure, rides come up spur of the moment, but I'll just go do a quick clothing change and I'm ready to go.  It's not as inconvenient as people try to make it seem.

Rash is one thing, but people seem to forget that bones can break too when you go down, especially if you start to tumble rather than slide.  Those knee and shin protectors saved the knee of a guy I know in a fall.  He hit some sand, fell, and landed on his knee among other things.  His kneecap may have still split in half, but I imagine it would have been somewhere along the lines of powder if he hadn't been wearing those, and at least now he can recover and still walk.

This is one of those things that's like people and smoking.  People are pretty much going to do what they want, and that's really all there is to it.  My personal confidence in my riding skill, nor the amount of gear I wear, will cause me to be any sort of reckless when I ride.  I'm about as defensive as they come when I'm on two wheels, gear included.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #47 - 07/08/10 at 08:00:30

Since I earn a living as a Safety Professional (OSHA & DOT) 48yr old with my first bike (May 2010)....now have put 300 miles on it mainly just to & from work 10 mile round trip on all dry days - have not will not ride in the rain......heard the ATGATT from all MC buds prior to getting the bike - problem 1 400lbs = limited availability of the "proper" protective gear.......so I bought a 6X hi-vis coat for fall/winter/spring - 6x hi-vis mesh lightweight vest for summer - wear safety boots everyday of the year riding or not - FF modular helmet white, and the only gloves i could find to fit my hands were Mechanix ORHD (Oil Rig Heavy Duty - 2x $65).......does not matter where i go i wear the gear i have and long pants...short sleeve shirt summer long sleeve fall/winter/spring.....plan to ride every dry day of the year.....bike is off the road before dark.....but i glow in the dark with my gear.....I am a safety guy by trade and i have to trade off some protection just because it is not available in my size - if it were then i would be fully protected ATGATT.....how could i explain at work i cant work because i got hurt riding because i did not have on the gear?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #48 - 07/08/10 at 08:01:00

You guys with all your clothes on would be like fish out of water here in Wisconsin.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #49 - 07/08/10 at 08:46:06

Normally, I don't get involved in these discussions, because I think that a person should wear what they want, and then deal with the consequences.  The choices are theirs.

That being said, I would like to point out that this discussion should involve a discussion of what people wear who ride for a living.  The two groups that I would like to point to are motorcycle racers, and motorcycle police officers.  In the first case, they ride for short periods of time at high speeds, and at the limits of their abilities.  In the second case, they are on the bikes for eight hours at a time, day after day, and are riding well within their skill levels.  The racers wear every imaginable piece of protective gear.  The police officers wear 3/4 helmets, gloves, boots, and during the cooler times of the year, jackets. (In the summer here in Tucson, they wear short sleeve shirts.)

Personally, my riding style is more in line with the police officers, as is my attire.  Lancer, on the the other hand........

« Last Edit: 07/08/10 at 10:51:01 by gerald.hughes »  
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #50 - 07/08/10 at 19:27:10

It was one of those rare +85 days up here today. Sometimes you just gotta live. Rode with just tee shirt jeans boots and gloves and helmet. Whoo Hoo!!!! don't do it often and it is a treat.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #51 - 07/08/10 at 21:15:54

Would like to mention that I went down wearing just jeans to protect my legs and grated on the pavement for a dozen feet with the weight of the bike on me at a slow speed and just a few tears in the jeans and no damage to my skin.  So I think jeans are pretty good protection.

Also don't forget about hypothermia.  When you are exposed in colder weather going 50-60mph the windchill is pretty bad.  Even if it's the middle of the summer it can get fairly cold at night into the 50's and with wind chill especially if you aren't wearing full gloves and don't have a fairing on your handle bars your hands can get very cold on a longer trip.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Apparel (am I alone?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.