Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ReTired my bike yesterday (Read 375 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
ReTired my bike yesterday
06/18/10 at 19:57:49

I wore the Kenda Challenger right down to where I could almost see the air inside.  I was disappointed when I checked my little black book to find that I only got about 4000 miles out of it.  The Metzler I had on the front was getting a little dry rotted too, so I ordered a set of Dunlop 404's from Motorcyclesuperstore.com.  I paid $142 for the set, and they shipped it free.  The tires arrived in three days, which isn't too shabby with free shipping to Montana.

Now, to the point...  When we shod Kay's bike last time, I paid sixty bucks to have the tires mounted and balanced.  Being the cheapskate I am, I decided to buy some tire irons and do it myself thenceforth.  This may have been poor judgement on my part.  The back tire was a real bear, and I scratched the crap out of my wheel before the job was done.  I Finally had to enlist the aid of a friend to wrestle the new one on.  Those of you who have seen my bike will realize that a scratched up wheel won't detract much from the aesthetic value of the machine as a whole.  Nonetheless, it is discouraging to scuff your bike.  I guess the protective coating of oil and bugs wasn't thick enough.

I'll do it again next time, with lessons learned this time guiding me, but a word of caution, if I may...

While I am usually a very vocal proponent of doing it yourself because this bike is so easy to work (and learn) on, I don't think I would recommend that someone learn to change tires on these wheels.  It takes lots of finesse and patience, plenty of strength, and the right tools to get that stiff old rubber on and off that shiny wheel.  One slip, let alone forty-eleven slips, can mess up a spendy wheel in a hurry.

If you go ahead and try it yourself, good on ya' for having the guts... At least make sure you have a new tube on hand, just in case you pinch the old one with a tire iron and have to dismount half the tire and replace it after disregarding your friend's advice and trying to reuse the rusty, cruddy old thing that came out of the tire you are replacing.  Roll Eyes  Foaming bead lube around the spokes after inflation is not a good sign, as it turns out.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: ReTired my bike yesterday
Reply #1 - 06/18/10 at 20:05:48

been meaning to get one of these...

Keep an old rear on hand, should make a great tire work station.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/19/10 at 00:47:51

verslagen1 wrote on 06/18/10 at 20:05:48:
been meaning to get one of these...
http://nomartirechanger.com/repo/product/BarHeroPlus.jpg?1205180521

Keep an old rear on hand, should make a great tire work station.

Keep an old rear on hand, Uhhh, Im 55,, So, I always have an old rear on hand.

I did both tires, alone. It was a circus. I had one tire iron pushed down & stuffed under the vise while I rassled w/ the other 2. I realized I moved the entire operationa a bit & looked to see if the tire iron was about to pop free, when it did & it spun out & stabbed me atween the eyes. I didnt stop & whine, wiped the blood off & kept at it. Hurt my shoulders so bad I spent about 2 weeks recovering. I hope I am better at it next time, cuz it IS time & Im headin for the darkside.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/19/10 at 01:17:32

I still do it, but I allow that changing a rear tire is beyond the experience level of many on this list as they never owned a bicycle, a long list of motorcycles, etc.  

Wouldn't know a tire spoon if they found one sticking out of their ear, in other words.

And I no longer suggest that anyone do anything with tire irons or rear tires because they WILL hurty themselves ....

Bleeding a little bit when changing a rear tire is almost a required activity, IMHO.

And yep, I've been whacked in the head with a "sponngg" suddenly flying spoon before -- it hurts like crap.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 06/19/10 at 05:07:34

There's been times when I felt bad about ruining a bead or scuffing a wheel, but I had new fronts put on my Motorhome at Loren Young not long ago, and after watching them stupid kids beat on.... and gouge my rims w/ a sledge hammer, (they called it a tire hammer) and had to replace one new tire because they tore up the bead so bad, and then ended up putting the weights on the heavy side of the wheel, I now think I'm a pro at no matter how bad a job I do ...on no matter what I do !  Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 06/19/10 at 08:15:18

I changed the rear tire on my S40 last spring. Next time, if I have a choice, I'll pay the $30 or so to have the dealership do it. In fact, I found removing and replacing the wheel to be enough nuisance that I might just let the dealer do the whole job.

Before anyone asks, this is about the twentieth bike I have owned, and it is far from the first tire I have replaced. So it is not as if it was my first time ever.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/19/10 at 09:22:29

I've have a new 66 route tire for the rear to put on and I've change a lot of tires but you guys have scared me off,At 71 I guess I best have it done.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/19/10 at 09:41:36

Bill, if you dont have someone around to bail you out, yea, youd prolly be ahead to haul it & pay someone. I got a H/FTire Changing stand & Im hoping I can do it w/ that. Gotta dig a hole & pour some cement. Its not going in the shop. Ill let you guys know how it goes. Probably gonna be a while

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TommyRocket
YaBB Newbies

Northeast Pennsyltucky
Reply #8 - 06/19/10 at 13:29:26

If you plan on buying a tire changer, I highly recommend the No-Mar tire changer. Their mount/dismount bar is pictured above. I bought one a few years ago and it has easily paid for itself. Or if you buy one like the Harbor Freight unit, the No-Mar M/D bar is a must. Makes life much easier.

I have a friend who got his front teeth smashed out while changing a tire with screw drivers. It's a must to have the proper tools and to be careful.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 06/19/10 at 15:06:16

I'm sure if there were a recording of the event, and someone handy with a computer could analyze and separate the sounds, there were probably some SPRONG noises and maybe even a few CLANGS as the wheel would pop loose from the tire, which I was holding in place with my teeth and one ear.  However, those noises were masked by a high pitched screaming noise that sounded like @#$%($%@!!, every time such an event occured.

Did I mention that I was trying to do this on the kitchen floor in our shop/house?  I hope Kay doesn't notice the new gouges in the oak dining room table. Shocked

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/19/10 at 17:17:39

2 summers ago, I had a flat on the rear. I been working on cars over the last 23 years, and 3 gazillion tires of all shapes and sizes later, I found it not too difficult using 2 screwdrivers and one official-type tire spoon. Kinda awkward without some type of holding device, but do-able. The hardest part for me was getting the back tire off the dam bike, with no lift. I was balancing the center frame on a pile of 2x4's, and I piled lots of heavy things found in the garage on both sides, in case of an errant tipover.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/20/10 at 05:57:21

Would someone explain the way the No-Mar Bar is used? Im not gettin it. The 2 prongs on one end? The 1 on the other w/ 1/2 of the button knocked off? I dont get it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/20/10 at 08:34:52

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/20/10 at 10:50:50

Well, Dang! Almost looks fun, & in no way even almost looked like the way it went in my shop floor, where I tied 2X4s together on one end & stuck a 4X4 block on the tire to break the bead & then commenced rasslin for a couple hours to R7R the rubber. I hope the HF El Cheapo tire change stand works just 1/2 as well. The W has aluminum rims, & I dont think the HF tire bar will work w/o messin it Up.. Maybe w/ some work it will, but most likely it needs ditched. I gotta look & see how much that No-Mar hookup is. At 30+ a pop, doesnt take too many tire changes to pay for a tool.

OOOPS, Shazzam, 6 Hunnert BUX? Or "just" 110 for the bar??
Id need some riding buddies to go in on a deal like that.

No-mar Mount/Demount Bar with non marring contact points. Comes with spray lube bottle and 1 pint of tire lube paste,

three extra demount tips, and a handle.

Lifetime warranty on tips.

I can appreciate the warranty on the tips, 4 sure.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 07/06/10 at 19:50:19

I have a sure-fire way to make changing the rear tire on the Savage a lot easier:

Change a few GL1800 rear tires.

I have, and will continue to do so (using just tire irons, BTW).

In comparison, changing the rear tire on my Savage (see signature) is a non-event.   Cool

Practice and technique is everything.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ReTired my bike yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.