Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Riding Apparel (am I alone?) (Read 787 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Riding Apparel (am I alone?)
Reply #15 - 07/04/10 at 15:43:45

jarrod wrote on 07/04/10 at 15:08:36:
I am sure in 1964 there was probably about a third of the cars on the road as there is now....

http://jagerkin.110mb.com/Vehicle_Accidents_and_Deaths.htm

While there were less cars, there were more accidents.  In the '60's we had just starting to driver's education.   Drivers are a LOT better at avoiding accidents than in the '60's.  Back in the '70's I expected at least a week that someone would try to kill me.  It now takes a year between decent tries of killing me.

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #16 - 07/04/10 at 17:24:44

Routy wrote on 07/04/10 at 10:12:28:
I really did expect to be called an idiot,....even on my birthday Wink

!

Two days after mine Smiley  Happy B-day.

Don't think you are an idiot, just made a choice that some may not agree with.

Personally, I'm pretty much ATGATT.

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/04/10 at 18:17:08

WOW!  Shocked Ask this same question over on the gixxer.com board I frequent and you'll be called FAR worse things than an idiot!

Personally, I feel that riding w/o any gear of any sort (shorts, tank top, ect) is a reckless and irresponsible decision. "No man is an island unto himself". That mean there are friends, family, and loved ones that will pay the price for your decision should you take a nasty spill. Now, I'm not necessarily an ATGATT person, but I NEVER ride w/o what I consider the MINIMUM acceptable gear. That would be: a full face helmet (some 30-odd percent of helmets involved in wrecks suffered impacts in the facial region, be it primary or secondary), leather palmed(at least) riding gloves, a protective jacket (be it leather or textile w/ armored inserts), long pants, and shoes or boots that cover the ankles and can be laced tight to prevent them coming off.

That being said, I will be the first to call it as I see it: You're being an idiot. Notice I did not call you an idiot. I just said your making an idiotic decision. I hope and pray that it doesn't catch up to you some day.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #18 - 07/04/10 at 18:29:08

Happy Birthday, May you live to celebrate many many more.
Myself I am also a firm believer in ATGATT. I have been down and had not been for full gear would have had greater injuries.
With that said I would never call you an idiot. Yet like some may agree you make idiotic decisions.
Each to their own. Enjoy the ride as well as your life and birthday.. Kim Smiley

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #19 - 07/04/10 at 18:34:22

I dont ride unless I have on a full helmet, gloves,armored mesh jacket, armored denem pants both tourmaster and high boots. I hope I never have to test the jacket and pants in a spill.  Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #20 - 07/04/10 at 19:26:14

Shorts, t-shirt, ankle high boots & shades. Half helmet sometimes, FF helmet maybe if it's dark to fight the onslaught of bugs.
Jeans, FF & a thick Carhartt hoodies if it's chilly.

Live your own life, or don't... Whatever

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/04/10 at 20:00:24

If I had access to showers at work, sure, I'd wear the full leathers when I ride. But since I can't bathe when I get to the office and I don't want to smell like crotch-pot soup for ten hours, I wear jeans, short sleeved shirt, half helmet, fingerless gloves (to work, full fingered on the way home) and vest. And the boots. The only thing I don't compromise on are the boots.

I work in Atlanta and have about an hour and a half ride in everyday at 2pm. When the heat index is over one hundred and the relative humidity is well above 80%, I am more than willing to accept the risks of not wearing ATGATT. If I could wear shorts to work, I'd probably wear them for the ride in.

Someone mentioned that 'no man is an island'. My wife's only request is that the insurance is up to date. Otherwise, she lets me do what makes me happy. Or at least comfortable.

Motorcycling is supposed to be about freedom and the spirit of independence- it always bugs me when another rider tells me I'm a bad person because I don't wear all the gear, all the time. I've even had people go off on me for taking a picture of myself and the bike in less than ATGATT.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 07/04/10 at 20:44:13

First, thanks for birthday greetings,........it was a good day ! Wife and I even rode our side x side ATV in our 4th of July parade uptown. Lots of Harleys, (riders loaded w/ leather) in the parade too, but no Savage, but then I don't see a Savage-40 any other day either. I think a Savage is a well kept secret in these parts.
Well, at least some of the later replies are like I expected more of, but its probably good we all don't think alike on the subject. But I am glad I'm not alone. I always wonder where the line should be drawn on saftey,..... when you have to compromise comfort.
I still think a roll bar should have been mandatory in a convertible (no discomfort whatsoever) long before seat belts became mandatory, and I'm not sure they should have been ! Shocked  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #23 - 07/04/10 at 22:05:23

I think a lot depends on how long ago you started riding & if you continued to ride. Older riders, I think, are less likely to be ATGATT simply because there wasn't much gear besides a helmet when we started.
If you don't like what I choose to wear, don't ride with me. Cool

You won't hurt my feelings, I see people I won't ride with no matter what they are wearing. I care a lot more about how well you ride than your gear. Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 07/05/10 at 04:28:29

The 1st total I did , I was 23, exactly zero riding gear, just walkin around clothes, but, I always did walk around in Red Wings, cuz I was a roughneck.
2nd good crash, short sleeves, jeanes, & some very light shoes, no helmet. Busted the bars with the spot where thigh meets torso & that bruise was sufficient for my Dr to be afraid I mite lose a leg, so I let him hospitalize me. Otherwise, I walked away, didnt even go to the dr for about 4 hours,
3rd total, I was fully dressed, dented the cab of the pickup behind the driver with my face. Thankfully, the helmet limited the damage to a split lip. My shirt has some little grooves burned in it, where I landed face down on the bike in a ditch with wheels spinning. The edge of the rim burned the shirt. Glad I was dressed.

All that said, had I been wearing a helmet on the first crash, I would have been dead. It cracked 3 vertebrae w/o the helmet being a fulcrum between head & shoulder( MRI after last crash revealed that, I never knew). Imagine if I had had one on. Woulda been about the same move as a hanging accomplishes, only harder.
So, ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances. I like my chances a lot better with some protection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #25 - 07/05/10 at 05:17:32

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/04/10 at 22:05:23:
I think a lot depends on how long ago you started riding & if you continued to ride.....

Also depends on how often you have needed.  My biggest fall was dirt riding.  I was stopped to a fall and rolled over.  Fall off the light t-shirt so into the gravel a inch a 3/4" long that nearly scratched blood.  Rolled off the shoulder and snapped a collarbone.  No pain on the fall, just didn't couldn't pick up the right arm.  A few fallen on very slow spills have called no use on a helmet and life total of rash road has almost elbow with a square inch.

I'm 63 and have never needed "gear".

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 07/05/10 at 06:31:57

Women don't like men in leather shorts,Men in leather shorts don't like women Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 07/05/10 at 07:21:37

3 times down wouldn't make me gear up, but I'm afraid would make me give it up. I'm not sure I could ever ride in comfort......or confidence after being down 3 times. After going down just once, (age 21) I still find myself slowing way down when meeting a car w/ a left signal on,......yep, thats how it happened.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/05/10 at 04:28:29:
The 1st total I did , I was 23, exactly zero riding gear, just walkin around clothes, but, I always did walk around in Red Wings, cuz I was a roughneck.
2nd good crash, short sleeves, jeanes, & some very light shoes, no helmet. Busted the bars with the spot where thigh meets torso & that bruise was sufficient for my Dr to be afraid I mite lose a leg, so I let him hospitalize me. Otherwise, I walked away, didnt even go to the dr for about 4 hours,
3rd total, I was fully dressed, dented the cab of the pickup behind the driver with my face. Thankfully, the helmet limited the damage to a split lip. My shirt has some little grooves burned in it, where I landed face down on the bike in a ditch with wheels spinning. The edge of the rim burned the shirt. Glad I was dressed.

All that said, had I been wearing a helmet on the first crash, I would have been dead. It cracked 3 vertebrae w/o the helmet being a fulcrum between head & shoulder( MRI after last crash revealed that, I never knew). Imagine if I had had one on. Woulda been about the same move as a hanging accomplishes, only harder.
So, ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances. I like my chances a lot better with some protection.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 07/05/10 at 10:29:42

I am more confident now than I was, actually. I ride a lot smarter & am PAINfully aware of the difference in my body's ability to take a whoopin, tho I did help load & tie down the Guzzi after I stuffed it into the pickup a few years ago. I went to the hospital about 9 hours after the crash, with a headache. Shoulda stayed home, but thats a whol;e nother story. I am very aware of oncoming & anyone looking around like they might be about to turn. I know to not be trailing a line of traffic if someone is in the left turn lane & dont be in front, either, cuz theyll try to rush across & not have to wait. I flas High/Low as I approach anyone who gives me one tiny bit of reason to not trust them & I move back & forth across my lane, to give them something to see.
I still play in corners, but I check them to make sure theyre clear. I dont mind rolling thru a corner & scope it out, turn around & go back thru & play with it. I dont try to play road racer, just play a little & see how it6 feels. 20,000 on the savage & its only been down on wet grass & loose gravel at a stop sign. Ive never dropped it because I was bein an idiot.
Im more cautious, more aware & better trained. Not bulletproof or unable to screw up, I just think Im a lot safer now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 07/05/10 at 10:39:50

If I ever go down I would never ride again,I don't like pain.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Apparel (am I alone?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.