Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Riding Apparel (am I alone?) (Read 787 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Riding Apparel (am I alone?)
07/04/10 at 07:58:23

In short,......in "shorts" weather, I sometimes ride in shorts, T shirt, and sneakers.
I'm forced to wear a helment, otherwise I'd do short jaunts w/o that too.
Am I an idiot, or just an oldtimer,....keeping in mind that I have done many miles before any helment laws ever existed. And I remember my short trips uptown seldom if ever included a helment.
Wife and I had fun on 2 Mopeds 20+ years ago before the helmet law. When the law came in, it wasn't fun anymore, sold both of them.
I just wondered if I'm alone in this,.....riding now.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Riding Apparel (am I alone?)
Reply #1 - 07/04/10 at 08:06:06

I accidently rode off w/o my gloves one day. I thot, ehh wott the hekk,, but I just couldnt shake the feeling of vulnerability & couldnt enjoy the ride, so I went back home & got them. I get sick of the heat & the hassle of getting dressed to ride, but, if I want convenience, I have a car. If I want to ride, I just cant do it ( & have any sense of peace about me)w/o wearing the stuff that Ill be wanting if I should get on the road with my body. Certain times of the year I dont leave w/o a rain suit. Saw a guy yesterday, surely a 30,000 $ ish Harley custom job, no helmet, shorts, muscle shirt ( Ughhh, he should never wear that), slip on tennis shoes, caught in the rain & he had nothing, no bags, nothing, just his wet buttt & a pretty bike,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #2 - 07/04/10 at 09:30:46

I'm glad you didn't screw up those last two descriptions.  Grin

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/04/10 at 09:44:33

Routy wrote on 07/04/10 at 07:58:23:
In short,......in "shorts" weather, I sometimes ride in shorts, T shirt, and sneakers.
I'm forced to wear a helment, otherwise I'd do short jaunts w/o that too.
Am I an idiot, or just an oldtimer,....keeping in mind that I have done many miles before any helment laws ever existed. And I remember my short trips uptown seldom if ever included a helment.
Wife and I had fun on 2 Mopeds 20+ years ago before the helmet law. When the law came in, it wasn't fun anymore, sold both of them.

I ride just like you except I always wear a helmet.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/04/10 at 09:45:29

Oldnewguy wrote on 07/04/10 at 09:30:46:
I'm glad you didn't screw up those last two descriptions.  Grin

No kiddin! That would have looked Prittee Bad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/04/10 at 09:55:18

In a 100'+ degrees,... a jacket just ain't gonna' happen for me...
I do wear longish sleeves and jeans,... more for sun protection than road safety...
FF helmet,... Yup...
Closed toe shoes at a minimum... ankle high boots for longer rides...
Gloves optional...

If I were a pretty young girl, I'd be more worried...
As it is,... I'm none of the three...

Keep in mind,..
road burn will only happen if you go down,...
sunburn,... will happen on any ride...
...and skin cancer is far worse than a road rash... Wink...
... a light loose covering is actually cooler than bare skin on a bike, 'cause you get better evaporative cooling......

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 07/04/10 at 10:12:28

I really did expect to be called an idiot,....even on my birthday Wink

But I am glad to find out I'm not alone on this.
A post to one of the threads last nite promted me to ask,.....kinda sounded like anyone that didn't wear full protective gear all the time wasn't normal. But I would NEVER knock anyone who does,.....or think I'm smarter if I don't. I been down once !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #7 - 07/04/10 at 10:20:49

Happy Birthday!!   Smiley Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/04/10 at 11:06:09

I wear chaps, I know, I know, flame away, its what I had $$$ for,,& theyve proven themselves in a crash. So, I wear those, I have a welders shirt, heavy khaki. It also proved itself & has wear marks to prove it. I wear a tee shirt under that & use a hose before driving off. I have a pump up sports mister I strap on the bike during summer & when I start getting dry, I wet the tee shirt again. Huge difference.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 07/04/10 at 11:31:44

If I need to run to the post office (about 6 blocks) I'll ride in shorts otherwise I normally change into jeans.  I've found in hot weather the jeans feel cooler than shorts because they insulate my legs from the hot air blowing off the engine and pipes.  I have an armored mesh jacket that is just as cool as short sleeves once you're moving and I use that if I'm going to be on the highway.  I usually wear gloves on the highway as well but not around town.  I also often wear a half helmet around town and switch to a full face helmet on the highway.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 07/04/10 at 13:07:19

Routy wrote on 07/04/10 at 07:58:23:
...Am I an idiot, or just an oldtimer,....keeping in mind that I have done many miles before any helment laws ever existed...
...When the law came in, it wasn't fun anymore, sold both of them.

You are not an Idiot.  You simply are willing to take the risk for the enjoy of riding naked.

As far as I know, there was not "motorcycle license" in 1964.  There was not MSF, no license, no required helment -- we just simply rode.  My dad rode a 3-wheel H-D Servicar, with a normal badged (#241) cloth hat.

I ride t-shirt, no gloves, a helmet because of the law.  When I took the tour I stopped just into Arizona to remove the helmet.  Rode 2,000 miles with "protection" of dark goggles and SPF-45 lotion:

Thing is, I have never needed a helmet.  Life total of road rash is about one square inch.  Yet, I MIGHT fall/crash.  But it is such nice without the "protection."  Would probably dead with or without a helmet anyhow.

And I would FAR prefer dead on the road than in a old folks nursing home waiting to die.

WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #11 - 07/04/10 at 14:31:09

I'm not so worried about thE highway as with a helmet and full gear some body hits you your probably dead anyways.  In a car your probably dead.  Try to not ride when the bars get out 12-3am.  And wear protective gear in town cause it could help if someone decides to turn left into me going straight.  I don't worry about my skill even though a large portion of motorcycle accidents happen in forming issues.  I'm worried about the lack of visibility of a motorcycle(led kit and loud exhaust with a loud red jacket to help with that).  And stupid drivers who don't follow traffic laws(big Hispanic population here, they don't all know or care about all the laws here).  Also it's a good idea to wear a helmet on a bicycle because falling over at 5 mph and hitting your head is enough to cave your skull in.  Of course you can slip on ice in your driveway and cave your skull in(dead) And I don't usually wear a helmet to get the mail in the winter.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #12 - 07/04/10 at 14:49:19

i ride with full gear all the time   if the distance i want to travel is too short  and i cannot be bothered to get changed i take the pedal bike  Wink

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
jarrod
YaBB Newbies

Spangdahlem Germany
Reply #13 - 07/04/10 at 15:08:36

I am sure in 1964 there was probably about a third of the cars on the road as there is now. Also, no cell phones, texting and the myriad of other crap cagers do now of days to occupy themselves from watching the road. As for me, it could be 6000 degrees and I am still wearing my gear, regardless if it is the law or not. That little piece of leather or fiberglass may be what helps me live or not. Just my opinion.

2003 Savage bone stock for now

Nobody lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #14 - 07/04/10 at 15:35:46

I agree.

For longer (more than 30 min), I wear full face modular helmet, textile armored jacket and pants.  If too hot, I remove the liners.

For short ride in town, I wear full gear except I switch to pair of jeans (I know, they are not that much of protection).  

I enjoy riding too much risk not being able to ride again.

jarrod wrote on 07/04/10 at 15:08:36:
I am sure in 1964 there was probably about a third of the cars on the road as there is now. Also, no cell phones, texting and the myriad of other crap cagers do now of days to occupy themselves from watching the road. As for me, it could be 6000 degrees and I am still wearing my gear, regardless if it is the law or not. That little piece of leather or fiberglass may be what helps me live or not. Just my opinion.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Apparel (am I alone?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.