Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thinking of selling my bike (Read 363 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Thinking of selling my bike
Reply #15 - 07/03/10 at 15:50:30

If your heart is no longer into it, say farewell and follow your passion.

That said, I'm more in Starlifter's camp -- hobby vehicle usage ebbs and flows, sometimes due to changes in interest or opportunity.

As for the sailing -- this year has been almost as bad as the big flood of 1993.  The river is consistently over the access road to our marina.  Still, there's always hope for next week!

And at least I got a little sailing in May!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/04/10 at 06:07:53

Yea, Harveys, youve got it tuff allright,

& Jerry, man, seriously, you know you dont have to sell the thing. Youre not gonna miss a meal over what keepin it costs you. After a couple of years, if movong it outta the way & keeping good gas in it & battery up is more hassle than the bikes worth in hours of fun, then ditch the thing.
I keep my shop orderly & convenient to work in using a rule on the items I keep in it. If I have to move something 3 times & I havent used it yet, its in my way. Either ditch it or make other storage arrangements.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #17 - 07/04/10 at 07:30:47

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 07/02/10 at 05:22:57:
What has me thinking this way is that I'm not really enjoying it that much, and the hassle of it all.  I'm only riding under 2,000 miles per season.

Anyone else ever gone thru this?  If you did, how did you solve it?

I met a neighbor last night while taking a stroll. We did the stop and chat, and talked about the town parade earlier in the day. "Very nice event, did you take any pictures?' he asked. I said no, it's too much like work. What followed was me saying to him "I lost my passion for photography." He said "That's sad." "No, it's not sad. It opens doors for something else I want to do." He agreed, saying that he felt the same way about singing.

Life is full of wonderful things, some of which require a lot of time to learn enough to enjoy their full benefit, or even work in the field.

There's something in my life that I'm working hard at mastering, so I can leave photography. Just need a few more classes, much more study and practice, and hopefully I'll be certified by the end of the year. If not, I'll work harder.

I'll hold onto my photo gear though. Never know if or when I'll get the desire.....

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/04/10 at 07:51:22

Yep, I just got a bass guitar. Alway had a feeling of"Gee, I wish I could do that", Now, I have someting to work at when Im not wanting to be in the shop or watch the blasted tube. Thats pretty much the option of last resort, cuz, really, TV is just full of little signals, hints, suggestions & points the thinking in a direction other than one I want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #19 - 07/04/10 at 19:25:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/04/10 at 06:07:53:
Yea, Harveys, youve got it tuff allright,

As long as you have your health, your family, food on the table and some friends to share it with everything else is just icing on the cake.

Of course, bikes and sailing are what make it chocolate icing!   Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #20 - 07/04/10 at 20:27:44

+1

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/04/10 at 20:46:51

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 07/02/10 at 05:22:57:
Hi All -

...trade the bike for an older Brit sports car, like an MG Midget or such.  You can get a very nice one for a price around $5,000...

I had a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine and was it ever fun to drive.
However, 5000.00 won't cover the cost of the "whitworth" nuts and bolts, and the tools to fit them. In 1970 a 30 cent metric bolt cost 3.00 for the whitworth thread...if you could find one.  And then there was the ""Lucas" electrical system. Designed by the "Prince of Darkness".
I turned my own wrench and I was lucky to drive for half a week and work on it the other half. But, all in all, it was the most fun of any car that I have ever had. Just be prepared to spend some serious money.
JB

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 07/06/10 at 06:55:48

Ok Jerry, so what are you gonna do?  Any more thoughts on the subject?  
Thought I'd throw a picture at you, our General Manager's '74 (maybe '70?) Triumph TR6.  I would almost trade him.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #23 - 07/06/10 at 07:11:37

Babyhog -

I don't know much about TR-6s, so I can't say what year it is, but isn't a 1970 still a TR-4?

I haven't reached a real decission, but I'm leaning to following some advice to just hold onto the bike, even though it isn't getting ridden much.

Today is another example of why I haven't ridden it much, as was yesterday - just too darn hot for all of the get up needed to be safe.  Even my general manager at the airport, who has 3 bikes, admitted yesterday that he too doesn't like to ride in this heat the midwest is having.

But, as one person said, for what little the bike is worth, may as well keep it for those nice days when I do want to ride it.  It just seems like a shame to to get more use out of a piece of equipment.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 07/06/10 at 07:51:46

I would keep it til next year,You might change your mine and want lose must money being a year older.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 07/06/10 at 08:00:01

I was before all of the English and Volkswagen cars .But I had younger brother and BL  and SL that had them,I wasn't to much impressed  with them,Were they fun to drive yes and so is a go kart.A kid that worked with us for three years bought a brand new Triumph TR 6,He had it for 6months and traded in on a new Monte Carlo.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #26 - 07/06/10 at 08:14:47

Bill -

Different strokes for different folks.  I've never been into Detroit cars.

With the sloppy steering, horrible cornering handling, lousy brakes, and generally poor soft suspensions, I'd take the Triumph any day over any Chevy.

But, Detroit cars of the era were more reliable than the Brit sports cars, and had far better creature comforts.  For daily transportation, those 1960s Brit cars didn't carry the day.  But for proper driving in the twisties, they leave any American car of the era behind, except for a Vette or Cobra.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #27 - 07/06/10 at 08:16:01

My 2cents
If you own a sports car (especially an MG) and try to drive more than you are riding your MC, and are not rich (so that you can spend unlimited money having someone else keep the beast running) you will never be a a loss as to what you will be doing with your spare time. I have driven a number of sports cars as daily and pleasure drivers, and to keep them in the condition where they are a pleasure to drive is time consuming and expensive. When I drove an MGBGT, I needed to spend time every weekend tuning the carbs. This was in addition to all the effort keeping the electrics working. (If you don't know what I'm talking about google "Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) Electrics." Japanese sports cars aren't quite as maintenance intensive, but they will give you plenty to do every week. American sports or muscle cars are just expensive to keep running right. That's one of the things I like about my Concours. I work on it because of a maintenance schedule, not because I need to do something to make it run right. Same thing was true with my Savage, very little necessary work.

I don't really have a riding season, I ride in all kinds of weather, on all kinds of roads. As far as driving, if you drive a sports car with wide sticky tires, and plenty of power, remember that if the road is slick (rain, snow, mud, oil, gravel etc.) , driving will become a lot like herding ferrets.

I don't mind the gear (by the way, I'd rather put on my riding gear than deal with any of the convertible tops on cars that I have owned). I have a trunk, so if I want my helmet can go in there. If I want, I can put on my sidebags and put my jacket (plus a lot of other stuff) in there. My job requires long pants, and my skin requires that most of it stay covered while in the sun, so I have discovered why people in hot climates keep themselves covered (with light clothing) - it's really cooler than exposing your skin to the sun and wind. Bottom line, I prefer to ride vs. drive for a lot of reasons, but to each their own. Just beware of the dark side (Lucas Electrics).

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #28 - 07/06/10 at 08:33:49

Mornhm -

See my previous posts - I'm well aware of the Prince of Darkness, and the maint. issues with Brit or Italian sports cars of that era.

As I just said to Bill, these cars are not daily transportation - they are for use now and then, on nice days, and preferrably on rural roads.  They were never designed for freeway cruising at 75 mph or so - remember what English roads of the 1950s were like when these cars were designed.

When I had to synchro the twin SU carbs, I just used a piece of rubber tubing stuck in my ear, and when the hiss in the venturis sounded the same, they were matched.  You can almost do it good enough with just your thumbs.

The key to getting a good one today is fairly simple - buy the most expensive one you can afford, where some other poor soul has paid to restore it, and who is now selling it for less than he has in it.  And, you have to know enough that you can tell a proper restoration from just a cosmetic cover-up.

You have to know the weak points of each type of car, from where the Demon Rust lurks in the suspension and body, to the weak points of the power train.  Knowledge of how it's been driven, and by whom helps a lot - did some idiot drive it who kept the clutch pressed at traffic lights, and wore the throw out bearing, for instance, or someone who jammed the gears thru the shift pattern, without slowing down and letting the old synchro rings catch up first.  Then, did he know how to double clutch his downshifts, matching revs to keep from wearing out the clutch plate and gnashing the gears?  I still cringe when I see someone use the clutch to bring the engine rpm up to speed during a downshift, on a bike or in a car.

One of the biggest problems is that the uninformed think they can buy a TR-4, MGB, Alpine, or similar car and treat it like the Ford Taurus in their garage.  The fact that each has 4 wheels is about the only thing alike in the two types of vehicles.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Official 'Thinking of selling my bike' Poll
Reply #29 - 07/06/10 at 09:19:09

Oh joy! It's time for SS.com imaginary Poll of the Week!!!
* Note: Just for fun Jerry & Co. no ill will intended.  Cheesy

Instructions: Please complete the following sentence:

I don't like riding my bike anymore because (it's too) ______________ .

a)      hot
b)      cold
c)      wet
d)      dry
e)      icy
f)      dusty
g)      sunny
h)      cloudy
i)      too bright
j)      cause it’s nighttime already
k)      too many bugs
l)      too many trucks
m)      fresh mountain air makes my lungs hurt
n)      bike has no cupholder
o)      bike has no ipodholder
p)      bike has no cruise control
q)      bike has no A/C
r)      bike has no internets
s)      bike just thumps too much
t)      bike does not match helm
u)      helm does not match jacket
v)      jacket does not match socks
w)      have trouble changing gears with my crocs
x)      have trouble texting cause of that annoying clutch thing
y)      because the other boys laugh at me and/or my bike
z)      because I rather stay home with my bigscreen tv

** Auto-grading system:

I - If you chose one or more answers from the A-Z column
you need to sell that bike yesterday and find another hobby
that keeps you warm and safe all the time, like scrabble or
maybe bingo, walmart bingo.

II - If you couldn’t find a suitable answer in the A-Z column
then you need to ask yourself the following:
“Have you hugged your bike today?”

i.e. 1) http://www.dreamstime.com/woman-biker-hug-an-old-motorcycle-thumb7375733.jpg
i.e. 2) http://unknownridersmc.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/hug20your20motorcyc...

III- Walmart-Bingo playsheet (please print and share).

Have a nice day everyone.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:12:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thinking of selling my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.