Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thinking of selling my bike (Read 363 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Thinking of selling my bike
07/02/10 at 05:22:57

Hi All -

Well, I'm seriously thinking about selling my S40.  Several reasons.  I had not ridden at all from 1968 until 2008, when I got the bug again, bought a used S40, took the MSF course and got the endorsement.

What has me thinking this way is that I'm not really enjoying it that much, and the hassle of it all.  I'm only riding under 2,000 miles per season.

By the hassle, I mean that I absolutely won't ride without helment, armored jacket, heavy jeans, and gloves.  That's the hassle.

For instance, I like to wear shorts in the summer when I run around on weekends, but I wouldn't think of riding in them.  So, if I go to the airport on weekends, which is a wonderful 18 mile ride each way, then I spend the entire day in heavy jeans.  Not comfortable.

Today is a really down day in the office - no court appointments, nothing going on, and we'll close early for the holiday.  So here I sit in golf shirt and dockers - but I have to go to two different banks today, have lunch with a buddy - those sorts of errands.  Could I have ridden to work today - yes, the weather is gorgeous.  But do I want to walk into two banks in all of the riding gear? - not really.

Then the old problem that I just will not ride after even one beer, let alone anything more.  My wife and I will meet our standard group of friends after work tonite for a light dinner and beverages as we do most Friday nights.  So, had I ridden to work, I would have to go home first, get my car, then go meet our group - more hassle.

When I rode in the 60s, there were few freeways - I've never adapted to being comfortable riding on a freeway with semis roaring by.  Maybe I'm a wussie, but that's the way I feel.  At age 63, maybe it's too big a change to adapt to all at once, without having done so slowly over all of those years thru my younger days.

What has bitten me for the last year or so is trade the bike for an older Brit sports car, like an MG Midget or such.  You can get a very nice one for a price around $5,000 - about twice what the S40 will bring if I sell it.  Then, use that for recreational driving.  But if a rain comes up, I'm not "grounded" as I am on the bike, as I have no desire to play macho man and ride in the rain.  Naturally, driving a fun little car like that doesn't require all of the get-up attire either.  And you can take anyone with you, carry some stuff in the trunk - all of those conveniences.

Then there's the night issue - I don't ride at night except rarely, and am not comfortable in traffic at night, nor really on the rural roads where I live, with deer, racoons, etc.

Anyone else ever gone thru this?  If you did, how did you solve it?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Thinking of selling my bike
Reply #1 - 07/02/10 at 06:08:02

Jerry, you sound like a wise man to me. I agree with most of what you say, except that I will ride in lighter clothing. Nebraska is a helmet-required State, but I would wear one anyway. And I live on a gravel county road, so at minimum I have 2.5 miles of gravel at each end of the ride. For that reason alone, if no other, I schedule my ride to arrive home in daylight. But so far the addiction of motorcycling has overcome the hassles attending it.

I like your sports car idea, but I think I would look for something a bit more reliable than the old British ones. Not to mention something with better parts availability. A Mazda Miata immediately comes to mind, but others exist.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/02/10 at 06:37:32

Charon -

Thanks for your input.

I started out as a high school kid in love with Brit sports cars.  When the other kids of my era wanted a '57 Chevy, I had an AH Sprite for my first car, then a TR-3, a Jag 150, an MGA, and a Sunbeam Alpine.

Parts are no problem at all, and the 1960s era Brit cars are stone simple to work on.  I've taken the engines out of several.  No smog gear on them, no computer chips, about as simple as a Savage - really.  Even synchronizing multiple carbs only takes a piece of rubber tubing to stick in your ear.

What I'd really LOVE to have is a Alfa Spider Veloce of the mid 1980s, but that is a hassle to work on, since the engine is more modern, double o'head cam, computer chips, - all too complicated for this shade tree mechanic.  Although they aren't really all that expensive anymore - $7,000 - $8,000 will get a really nice one that will continue to hold its value.

For some reason, the Miata doesn't light my fire - maybe because it's really just a modern copy of the MGB; TR-4 genre of car.  I think I'd prefer the original.

I would treat a car like that just like a motorcycle - a recreational toy - certainly not a daily driver.  And when the Prince of Darkness (the Lucas electrical system) acts up, leave it parked until I have time to work on it.  We all know that the Brits like warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/02/10 at 06:40:45

Jerry,

This is just my two cents, so don't take it wrong.
You are not a motorcycle rider anymore.  It is no longer the passion it might have once been.  It is no longer fun.

To me, riding is a passion.  I don't mind gearing up, I don't mind wearing my gear where ever I go on errands and don't give a hoot about what people think about it.  I put on the tail bag so I can carry what ever the Missus wants me to pick up.

I don't drink a lot and drink a lot less when I do ride.  Give me A beer to cool down, then I'll go ride for a few more  hours.
I love to ride at night, in the rain, with my friends and alone.  I accept that all of it is dangerous and I have seen friends maimed and killed.
I ride about 18,000 miles per season.
I don't like taking the car when I can take the bike.  Sure, it takes me 5-10 minutes to get ready for the bike.. worth it!

So, sell the S40.  It isn't fun for you.  We ain't all the same, and there ain't any shame in being who we are and doin what we WANT to do.

I had me an MG Midget back in the '70's.  Fun car, and I got really good at pulling the engine to replace the throw out bearing (made of graphite!).  Finally wised up and welded a VW bearing in the arm.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/02/10 at 06:54:43

Youzguyz -

Know what, you may be right.  I have only two passions - my wife, and airplanes.

Airplanes have been a real passion since I was about 12 years old, and I'm so thankful that I've been able to fly since I was 18 years old, in everything from a Piper J-3 Cub to jets - I enjoyed every airplane I've ever flown.  No motor ground vehicle, regardless of the number of wheels, can even come close.

I've had a few friends killed in airplanes.  But other than in combat, you only get killed one way in an airplane - you ahae to screw up really badly yourself - machines can't kill you, only people can make mistakes.

Thanks for your wisdom, and I sure didn't take it wrongly at all.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 07/02/10 at 07:03:00

I like wearing shorts in the summer, too.  So I now have a mesh riding coverall:

(Olympia's photo and model -- not me, I look even better!)

Step in, zip up and ride.

It was tricky finding some high-top leather gym shoes that still look acceptable with shorts.  Alternatively you can bring along a pair of sneaks or sandals.

Still, if it's not fun riding any more then it may well be time to seek out something different.

If you are interested in classic British machinery, may I suggest the Morgan 3 wheeler:

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/02/10 at 07:25:31

Ride wearing safety stuff, haul easy living clotthes, change into them. Unless, the fun of riding doesnt offset the truble of changing clothes. If thast true, then, your heart just aint in it. If Im not riding far enough to get enuogh giggles out of it to justify putting all the stuff on, I dont ride either.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/02/10 at 08:10:23

drharveys - FSO wrote on 07/02/10 at 07:03:00:
...(Olympia's photo and model -- not me, I look even better!)

Yeah, I was gonna' say,...  Man, what happened to you?  You really let yourself go... Huh...

That three wheeler is the coolest!...
Jerry, that front engine reminds me of an airplane...
Uh huh,... think about it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/02/10 at 08:33:34

Ive always thot that when the day comes that Im not okay with riding, Im gonna have a sports car w/ a standard trans. Doesnt have to be fast, just gotta hug the road thru the curves,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #9 - 07/02/10 at 13:06:34

The whole motorcycle lifestyle is kind of a yes or a no thing,
and it's a bit hard to compromise sometimes, but I'll tell you
MY solutions to your issues.

Gear - I always carry around a backpack with me and I
have "special" riding jeans, these are big/lose fit/boot cut
heavy jeans which are 1 or 2 waist sizes bigger than I need
them because under them I wear my long knee guards
AND my 'normal' pants or work pants or shorts or whatever.

After I get where I'm going I find a chair and simply undo my belt,
drop my pants, pull them off over my boots and fold them, then I
remove my velcro knee guards and everything along with the
gloves and jacket go in my nice backpack, takes 20sec, the end.

Alcohol - depending on many many circumstances I sometimes
drink a beer or 2 when I have my bike and copilot with me,
no biggie, i've never had issues with alcohol and to me 2 drinks
means 2-drinks-only, after these I drink mineral water or coffee,
till now no problems at all and IF I ever crash 'tipsy' I'm guessing
I'll hurt a bit less.

Highway - keep up with the flow, be aware, remember that you
are invisible to others and neon-green vests are actually quite helpful.
City/suburban streets are WAY more dangerous.

Animals - just drive slower in high risk areas, constantly scan
the sides of the road and be prepared for anything, and NEVER EVER
EVER try suddenly to avoid hitting an animal (you'll go off the road);
a cold-controlled emergency stop is the best you can do.

Rain - You are waterproof. Just take the curves slower and carry
extra socks, a nylon poncho and a small towel in a ziplock with you.

* I like mazda MX5's (miatas) and both daihatsu and fiat (barchetta)
have nice little affordable 2-seater roadsters as well, or what about a
carmann-ghia?  good luck.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 07/02/10 at 17:11:51

Jerry, sounds like you may have already made up your mind. I agree that their is no shame in making the decision to no longer ride.

I for one can't wait to get back in the saddle and will ride as often as I can. Rain well if I let rain stop me from riding or doing anything then I would be at home most of the time. I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain does not prevent me from enjoying anything. Snow and Ice now that is another story.
You have ridden and sounds to me like you made smart choices when you did.
I won't drive my cage let alone ride my bike after 1 beer. I will not risk it. I am not really a drinker of alcohol so that makes it easy to refrain.
Traffic does not bother me yet cell phone users while driving does. Thank goodness Wa State passed a no cell phone no texting law.
As far as gearing up. ATGATT is what I am a firm believer of as well. I am able to wear work pants under chaps as well as work shirt under coat. I carry my work shoes in my luggage bag as I won't ride without my boots.
As far as going in someplace with my chaps on. Well I don't care if people look at me or not. Also chaps are removeable so that is easy to rectify as well.
I ride at night and go a lil slower and am constantly scanning the sides of the road as well.
I think one continues to ride as they feel it is an enjoyment and when that enjoyment is no longer there I will hang up my helmet. I hope to be able to ride till I am much older.
Smile and know you did ride. You as someone mentioned seems to have lost the desire. No shame there.
Grab yourself a nice sports car. You can still go topless and have the wind in your face. O and be sure you give us the thumbs up each time you see one of us... Hugs to you.. Kim  Smiley

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 07/02/10 at 17:25:24

Well, a lovely MGA came into the garage today for an inspection (I was waiting for tires).  The owner reminded me of the strter button and i watched him assisst his 65yr od bod into the drivers seat Pulling the legs in once seated. Grin

I went thru the same thoughts you are having, having started out back in the day  with an MGB in '64 and again in '67, then the rare Sunbeam Alpine Coupe (Rapier in other countries)>  My BIL is an Alfa guy, lately owning a late 60's GTV and then the spider Veloce Red now a white one.  Love the cars' looks but the ride is primitive.

The modern Lotus Elan known as a Miata might be a good choice After you test an old brit for a few hours..in case you find you can't go back in time cause the there are butts.. Wink

Best of luck in you deliberations..is the Octogon club still in business?  I'd hit a brit car show in your area and you should be able to wrangle a test drive.

Jerry, I see a lot of three wheelers and frankly don't get it..why put on all that gear.just hop into a convertable and put down the top. Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/03/10 at 03:58:17

Go with your passion;  no need to do something you are not into, it is a waste of time and resources.
Sell the bike and enjoy your sportscars and airplanes.   Wink

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #13 - 07/03/10 at 13:43:23

Well, my two cents.

If you have the room to store it, keep it. There will always be a few days a season when you will have nothing on your schedual and you will think; hmm, what a perfect day for a nice easy ride in the country.

I have three bicycles, the MC, a sailboat, a canoe, books, kites, electric trains, lots of toys. And now that I am retired I wouldn't let go of any of them even if I only used them a couple of times a yeay. Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #14 - 07/03/10 at 15:40:05

+1

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:31:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thinking of selling my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.