Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
savage only runs with choke on (Read 147 times)
crsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B.C.Canada
savage only runs with choke on
06/24/10 at 19:50:59

Hi I need some suggestions.  I put a great working savage engine in a Suzuki GS frame as part of a cafe racer project.  The stock carb wouldn't fit so I bought a carb from Lancer.  When the engine was out of the frame I had a local shop change out the cam chain because of all the talk about it on this forum.  Now  everything is back together and it won't run.  It will start with the choke on and air cleaner off, but dies as soon as the choke is off.  It also seems to spit out alot of gas out the back of the carb.  I checked the valves, they were tight so I set them to .004 as per my manual.  It will start better but won't run.  Any ideas?  Cam chain not timed properly?  Any help would be appreciated Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: savage only runs with choke on
Reply #1 - 06/24/10 at 20:22:44

Could you possibly get the other carb on it & see if it runs w/ the stocker on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
crsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B.C.Canada
Reply #2 - 06/24/10 at 21:50:41

The stock carb will not clear the frame so that won't work.  I don't think it is the carb as I have been in touch with Lancer.  He must have sold quite a few of those carbs.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/24/10 at 22:17:05

I'm assuming you have some experience or you wouldn't be putting a savage in a gs frame.  But why did you let a shop replace the cam chain?  The uncertainty factor here is did they get it timed right?

It's not unusual for the carb to spit at idle, been asked about many times, seen it myself.  Generally asked about when there's a fuel problem.  so try it on prime.

Ok, so trying the stock carb is a good idea, and understand it won't fit in the frame.  Take a look at lancer's Rex.  He side mounted an edelbrock and routed it with black plastic pipe from homedepot or the like.  so something similar can be done with the stock carb.  Even if you ran it straight back it be ok to try.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/24/10 at 22:31:23

I think the next thing then is to give Prime a shot, if that doesnt work out for you. then you'll need to check the cam timing.
The carb wouldnt have to be hooked up to the cable or anything, just connected to a tube & hooked to the intake & given gas. Just a testbed, not something to go riding with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 06/24/10 at 22:36:31

when my carb spits its because i forgot to turn the fuel on with the raptor petcock  so theres only a little bit of fuel in there

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
crsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B.C.Canada
Reply #6 - 06/25/10 at 13:57:11

Thanks for the responces.  I had the shop do it because I was lazy and for the price I didn't want to get it wrong.  My petcock is on or off and the carb is getting lots of fresh clean fuel.  I will try the stock carb but it will take some plumbing.  How can I check the cam timing with the engine in the frame?  The plug on the left crankcase reveals a pretty crude mark.  I redid the valve clearance with that mark, but if the cam chain is one tooth out, can you tell from that? The carb not only spits but any restriction [air cleaner, fingers] will cause the engine to quit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/25/10 at 17:41:35

No guesswork in pulling the head cover. Might not be possible in that frame, IDK. There's a cam timing diagram , page 3-29, Suzuki manual. Exhaust opens 64 degrees before bottom dead center, at the end of the power stroke & closes 14 degrees after TDC, as its getting ready to start the intake stroke. Intake opens 22 degrees before TDC & closes 59 degrees after Bottom Dead Center, as it gets ready to make the compression stroke. So, if you can get a degree wheel on the end of the crank, you can check the valve operation against the way theyre supposed to work. No guesswork in pulling the head cover, but IDK if thats possible in that frame. I hope the mechanic used a THIN film of goo for a gasket on the head cover, since that sets the clearances for the cam & a loose fit will screw things up.

IP Logged
crsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B.C.Canada
Reply #8 - 06/27/10 at 09:19:10

OK thanks very much.  I plumbed the stock carb on and it barely fires, so that brings me back to the cam timing.  I will have to pull the engine out of the frame and take it back to the mechanic that screwed it up.  I will ride my other bike [SR 500 ] for the summer .  Cheers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/27/10 at 09:25:41

Id be knowing the cam timing is off before I walked away from it, expecting him to open it up & see its off & take it in the shorts.

IP Logged
crsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

B.C.Canada
Reply #10 - 06/27/10 at 12:12:32

You are right.  I will check it before I give it to him.  Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print