Send Topic Print
windshield (Read 235 times)
Yan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

windshield
06/23/10 at 18:42:43

choosing between a few used Savages - some have windscreens, some don't. How much is a windscreen worth and how hard is it to install one? I saw one on eBay for $50 plus shipping, is that realistic price or it's a cheepie one? Thanks!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: windshield
Reply #1 - 06/23/10 at 18:52:00

Most of the $50 ones on ebay are of the handlebar mount variety and they will do the job in helping deflect some of the air. If you want a shield that will deflect nearly all of the air you will need to get a fork mounted shield or at least a handlebar mount that uses 4 points rather than 2.

Personally I just added a shield this winter and for the cold weather riding it is much nicer having a shield, but warm weather feels great in your face. The shield does help deflect air around you so that you are not as fatigued as without one though. So, personally I like having a shield, but wouldn't let it be a big decision in which bike to buy.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #2 - 06/23/10 at 18:58:34

Helps a lot with bugs too, especially if you ride at night.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 06/23/10 at 19:05:27

earlytimz wrote on 06/23/10 at 18:58:34:
Helps a lot with bugs too, especially if you ride at night.

The deer, not so much!   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 06/23/10 at 19:56:40

$100 new will get a small shield to deflect wind, bugs and some rain. Worth having and no big deal to install. don't let the windsheild be a major factor in your purchase.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/24/10 at 06:32:42

I bought a great, used SlipStreamer Spitfire for $35 from a fella on another forum.  If you want one, you can find a decent deal.  There are also some very expensive ones out there!  Mine was easy to install, 2-point handlebar mount, and it works fine.  Might not be the best for tall people though.

I was about to take mine off for the summer, then ran into a nasty, I mean green-gooey-yucky nasty bug the other day.  It splatted on my shield like someone hit me with a paint-ball, I tell ya!  I kept thinking 'that coulda been my chest!'  

But yea, I agree with others, shouldn't be a big factor on the purchase of the bike (shouldn't raise the bike price, unless its a really good one!)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/24/10 at 06:50:58

I use a full face helmet and no screen. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the shield and then immediately get a big SPLAT right between my eyes!!!!
I don't know how these folks around here ride w/o a helmet and no screen...
I do get buffeted around quite a bit at highway speeds (I'm light and so is the bike), would a small windshield help with that?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 06/24/10 at 10:04:29

Bubba wrote on 06/24/10 at 06:50:58:
(I'm light and so is the bike), would a small windshield help with that?

I'm not light (225 on a good day and only 5' 7") and my OEM Suzuki screen made a major difference on the highway.  I'm definitely not buffeted as much and 75+ is doable whereas, without the screen 65 was hang-on tight speed.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 06/24/10 at 10:46:43

When I bought my bike it didn't have the windshield. I rode it about 75 miles home. Placed the windshield on and noticed immediately the difference. I ride at different times of day as well as night and highly recommend a windshield. Like others I wear ff helmet and between that and the windshield I have avoided eating many bugs. My windshield is a handlebar mount and was not only one that has been with me on my other 2 bikes. It serves it's purpose quite well.. Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/24/10 at 10:55:36

I just really don't like the looks of them...don't know why...just breaks up the lines of the bike... to me, anyway.
BUT, I might think about it for longer hauls up to the mountains, provided you can take it on and off quickly.

Has anyone ever used the Flyscreen??? It's the only one that I think melds with the bike but it doesn't look like it gives you much to keep the wind from knockin' you around.
Anyone?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/24/10 at 11:32:13

I use a flyshield, also have a sportshield and a full sized shield.
This last year I've used the flyshield exclusively and love it.
And it's adjustable enough make it like it's not there.
It just takes the edge off of wind at super slab speeds to keep you on the bike.
I adjust all of them to keep the helmet in the wind.  And for me that solves the helmet buffeting problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 06/24/10 at 11:38:49

thanks versy, mostly, I want to knck the wind off my body...just so I don't feel like I'm gettin' blown off!!!
Flyscreen good for that?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/24/10 at 11:41:42

Helmet buffeting drives me crazy with a windshield,.. I must be hyper-sensitive to it...
If I ever come across a deal on a flyscreen, I might give one a try...
Anything bigger,... and my giant head feels like a pachinko ball... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 06/24/10 at 11:45:09

windshield topic very interesting to me - @ 400lbs i am a human parachute so to speak - i know thw weight is a factor in reduced gas mileage but the fat ass hanging out in the wind like a sail/parachute cant be helping any either - would a windshield offset some of the drag caused by the shere mass exposed to the wind or would it be a direct trade off wind resistance of another source??????.....i mean you see a prostock motor cycle make a run and the rider lays down behind the windscreen then pops up at the finish line and uses his/her body to slow the bike i.e. human parachute......at highway speeds i feel like the bike is screaming at me to find a 6th gear or slow down .......so windshiled, windscreen or leave it alone? Undecided

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 06/24/10 at 12:42:46

Weracerc,... I doubt that it makes much difference as far a streamlining... unless you can tuck behind it...
At 400lbs,.. you ain't gonna' tuck much...  but neither do we, for very long... it's just too tiring....
... but it might help reduce the windblast on your body, if you find that tiring... and with your mass, windshield buffeting might be less bothersome for you, than for me...

Got any buddies that would let you try theirs?...

I'm always surprised by how many people like them...  they just don't seem to work for me...

Large, cruiser type windshields, usually hurt mileage and performance, rather than help it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.