Send Topic Print
Good sounding exhaust? (Read 341 times)
Jbmoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Good sounding exhaust?
06/21/10 at 10:42:01

I am trying to make my factory exhaust louder and better sounding. I have already knocked the cover out of the end of the stock muffler, and pulled the back center chamber out. This helped some. I am thinking about knocking a whole straight through the muffler to have a straight shot out. I have been told though not to take everything out of the muffler, like a straight pipe, because I needed some back pressure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Good sounding exhaust?
Reply #1 - 06/21/10 at 10:56:54

Depends on your definition of good.

Some like Harley mufflers. Some actually like the cheap tinny sounding Jardine.

I like glass pack and extended tips. I run a 12 inch muffler and 29 inch fishtail tip, painted BBQ black because I hate chrome, especially cheap soft Asian chrome (Taiwanese exhaust parts).

Want to set off car alarms? 30-36 inches of chain link fence post cut at a 75 degree slant makes a Savage sound like the rotor thump of an Army UH-1 helicopter. Guaranteed to set off car alarms, rattles store fronts, get you lots of attention from Kojak... And talk about some hellacious backfires...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 06/21/10 at 11:55:41

WD wrote on 06/21/10 at 10:56:54:
Depends on your definition of good.

Some like Harley mufflers. Some actually like the cheap tinny sounding Jardine.

I like my Jardine  Sad

Kind of hard to say what muffler's sound like without actually riding a bike with different exhausts.

And I guess I'm unfairly biased towards my Jardine. It came on my bike (its sound is all i've ever known), and since I'm rather attached to my bike, I'm rather attached to my exhaust....

Supertrapp and screaming eagle exhausts seem to be fairly popular on the forum, though.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/21/10 at 12:17:10

super trapp is pricey, screaming eagles are pretty freakin loud. Friends can hear me coming from 1/4mi away or more if im revving hard. If you like loud go for a screaming eagle off of a Harley Dyna model. Make sure it has no cross over port. Got mine brand new for $25 off ebay. If you want it to sound "better" but not really loud try to find a stock dyna muffler on ebay. Again...no cross over. Shouldnt be hard to find and wont cost much. Supertrapp is about $400 but has the advantage of being tunable where as with the other options you'll tune your engine/carb to the new exhaust, with the supertrapp you can tune the exhaust to the rest of the engine.

IP Logged
Jbmoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/21/10 at 12:45:38

Will the screamin eagle slip on my factory exhaust pipe?

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #5 - 06/21/10 at 13:22:33

the dyna exhaust i have on has been very good to me, good sound people in cages can hear it an its lighter by FAR than the stocker thats on there... little 7 deg bent tube made a muffler shop for $10 i think and some ultra temp copper rtv for sealant overnight curing and viola i and the bike are mui mui happy..

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/21/10 at 13:42:09

If it makes you feel better, Cobra exhaust is tinny sounding too...

Nothing, but nothing, says here I am kiss my a$$ like glasspacks or straight pipes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/21/10 at 14:08:46

Jbmoo wrote on 06/21/10 at 12:45:38:
Will the screamin eagle slip on my factory exhaust pipe?

With slight tinkering. I made a shim by cutting the ends off a soda can and folding it over a few times then wrapped shim around the head pipe, slathered the shim with hi-temp rtv, slid the muffler over it and clamped it down. No leaks.

I did not extend the head pipe as some here have done and the muffler now is only connected to the muffler support bracket by one bolt, but its so light compared to the stock cannon that I could probably dispense with the bracket altogether.

* Individual result have, do, and will likely vary.

IP Logged
Jbmoo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/21/10 at 18:05:03

WD wrote on 06/21/10 at 13:42:09:
If it makes you feel better, Cobra exhaust is tinny sounding too...

Nothing, but nothing, says here I am kiss my a$$ like glasspacks or straight pipes.

I considered a straight pipe, but what about back pressure?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/21/10 at 18:18:42

Anti-reversion cone in the header pipe. Basically a funnel stuck into the engine end of the pipe to give back pulses something to bounce off of.

I didn't use one in mine. Ended up running a JC Whitney 12" universal glasspack, gutted since the glass packing disappears quick fast and in a hurry. Had to weld a stick stopper baffle in the pipe to be legal out here (if a night stick fits fully in the pipe it is illegal). Dropped in a few dollar store pot scrubbers to mellow it out. A bit too quiet right now, but, the scrubbies won't last forever... Wink

Seriously, straight pipes look good and sound mean but you are looking at some serious tickets if you have neighbors, live in town, ride in town, etc. At least put a 3" long baffle in it to calm things down a touch. You'll have your sound, some back pressure, and Kojak can't rape your pipe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #10 - 06/21/10 at 18:51:37

I tried stock and then a Dyna.

Now I like my Hard Krome slash cut.  It is long and hollow.  I added a metal drain strainer to the end (for a bit of back pressure) and some re-jetting to get it right.  I did get the HK on the Marketplace here fairly cheap.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 06/22/10 at 10:06:41

I like my 30" fishtail muffler from JC Whitney. Sounds like a Bell Huey!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
krsanky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/22/10 at 10:40:44

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-MUFFLER-ASSY-REAR-SCREAMIN-EAG...

Will that work?

Will it be *crazy* louder than stock or just louder when really revving.

Will my neighbors hear me start my bike every time?

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 06/22/10 at 10:41:52

Subjective to the riders taste in sound. My SuperTrapp is music to my ears Cheesy

FSO
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/22/10 at 18:32:00

A Savage with an HD muffler is going to get noticed... Screaming Eagle cans are fairly free flowing. If you like the price and have an extra few bucks, try out what grabs your attention.

I have to have some muffling, we live in a community with several horses, retirees, a few new babies... Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good sounding exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.