Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Battery DEAD! (Read 129 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Another Battery DEAD!
06/10/10 at 04:00:24

So I put a brand new battery in, got a cpl runs in and the other morning it would not start. I left it for the day and attempted a start again and nothing.
I'm thinking its not the battery anymore. It seems to feel a lil rougher running after my verslavy install.
No idea what it could be and I need everyones help/advice plz!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Another Battery DEAD!
Reply #1 - 06/10/10 at 04:35:43

If the engine cranks at normal speed, or anywhere near it, the battery is doing all it was designed to do, and cannot be blamed for the engine not starting.

Check for fuel delivery (or an excess of) to the carb first,.....only because its the easiest to check. If it has fuel, check for spark to the spark plug.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 06/10/10 at 04:43:53

Wont be fuel, had the carb pulled during my maintenance and cleaned completely. I think for some reason or another it requires greater crank to turn over now and feel as though the bike is working harder while riding.
Starter?
Think i need to do the valve adjustment, would this play a factor.
I have no idea!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/10/10 at 21:36:10

If either valves were too tight, it could cause loss of compression, and hard starting.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/10/10 at 21:55:15

Make a list of everything you did since it was running ok.
And don't rule anything out.  When I 1st cleaned the carb, took me 3 tries to get back on right.

Your battery problem might be a pinched wire under the tank.
running hard might be from a bad valve adjustment, could've used the wrong TDC.
Or it could be that you slipped a cog when you put on the verslavy.  I've never heard of it before, but possible.
Or when you had the header off, did you stuff a rag in the exhaust?  Did you leave it in?  Did something crawl in?

These are all things that you might say... naw, could never happen, pause, well I hope it didn't.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/11/10 at 06:05:57

Or when you had the header off, did you stuff a rag in the exhaust?  Did you leave it in?

Well, that'd sukk, but at least its a cheap fix..
Ive got the W apart some right now. A sock in each sparkplug hole, each intake & in the airbox outlets going to the carbs that are in a rag on the freezer. Danged dirt dobbers will make a house in anything. Weve got some other bugs that crawl in small holes & deposit what looks like plaster of Paris on the opening.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/11/10 at 06:39:45

well lets see, header was off for verslavy install but no rags were put in there! prob shud have eh lol
verslavy install went smooth in my opinion
had battery and battery box right out, removed carb and cleaned and installed a new air filter,
as mentioned after filter install, put box and new battery back in. Started fine after that but i did notice it felt like i had a little more vibration and motor seemed to be workin a little harder.
I have not done anything to the valves at all since purchase but have noticed some valve noise and have been considering looking into it and adjusting if required.
I am at a complete loss, fresh fuel, new oil filter and oil, oil level just below top mark, new battery, tank has not been removed since my first crack at the mods from stock so cant see a wire being pinched or shorting. Maybe something is getting pinched or something under the seat??

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/11/10 at 06:41:13

Routy wrote on 06/10/10 at 21:36:10:
If either valves were too tight, it could cause loss of compression, and hard starting.

Can valves tighten on their own?

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 06/13/10 at 05:08:34

No one else with any ideas of what could be causing this issue?
Well I guess I had better tear her down again and see what I can see.
Too bad the wifey may get her wish of having the savage replaced after all!  Undecided

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 06/13/10 at 05:47:26

NewThumperGuy wrote on 06/11/10 at 06:41:13:
Routy wrote on 06/10/10 at 21:36:10:

Can valves tighten on their own?

Possible, but only after many miles. As a valve wears.....settles down into it's seat, it will slightly lessen the clearence that was originally set. But normal valve train wear will offset that, so usually the answer is "no".

But are you sure the carb is getting fuel ? You make no mention of it
Are you sure the spark plug is firing ? .....no mention of that either
Under compression, the 2 together....at the correct timing, it will run.

I would tell you to give it a shot of ee-ther, but I won't Shocked

Rich
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 06/13/10 at 08:08:05

not sure about spark and assuming carb getting fuel, i drove home 25min the prev night.
will have to remove tank to check spark since yet to do the easy access mod, might aswell do the raptor at the same time.
when i attempt use of choke it seems i only have a cpl shots at starting before my battery is useless. does not seem to like choke at all anymore. would expect to have a few shots at turning over the engine even without choke but seems to be a much larger amp draw to turn over after new tensioner was installed!??
hope to have time soon to investigate further.
anyone with a raptor they can  ship me?

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/13/10 at 08:11:41

Ether on gasoline engines is kinda scary to me. WD40 uses propane & wont explode an engine so easily.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:28:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Battery DEAD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.