Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New parts--still flooding. HELP! (Read 411 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
New parts--still flooding. HELP!
06/08/10 at 17:13:19

The lowdown... was stalling out at idle. Could smell raw gas.
The fix... petcork rebuild (new diaphram). New vacuum line. New gas line. Yes, the flow is right direction. Clean and rebuild carb, with new needle and o-ring on seat. New spark plug, gapped as specified. Adjusted the valves-they were noisy. Very small adjustment.
The result... runs the same as before...dies at idle, cruising ok. I still smell gas, and it seems to be leaking out the vent tubes a little. No other leaks. Also, it seems to run a lot smoother, but way quieter. Almost sounds like I put a new muffler on. What's up with that? Did I maybe over adjust the exhaust valves? Would that even cause this? I'm stumped. Any idea's as to what to check next?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New parts--still flooding. HELP!
Reply #1 - 06/08/10 at 20:56:18

Well,... if it ain't the petcock, or the needle and seat,... your floats have to be sinking...
That's all that left... you need floats...  test them by pulling them out and drop'em in a cup of gas... if they float, you're going to have to go over what you already did...
Gas can only come in two ways,... needle and seat, or down that vac line...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/08/10 at 21:08:17

I know carbs in general, but I don't know this carb except for doing the spacer mod.

But basically, in any carb, if you replaced the float valve (needle & seat) is shouldn't be over filling the bowl,....unless the float has gas in it, or is gass logged, or the float got bent or was adjusted for the wrong level.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/08/10 at 21:36:52

yeah, check the float level
if you have a drain nipple, connect a clear tube and run it up by the carb
open the valve and the gas should flow into it.
turn the petcock to prime and the gas should come up to the bowl gasket and stop.
if it don't, check the floats and the valve.

can't hurt to check the valve adjustment again.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 06/09/10 at 05:27:51

does the flooding happen when just sitting over night or after you open up the fuel valve and start the engine ?  or both ?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/09/10 at 07:00:15

It floods while running, everytime I come to a stop. It started doing it gradually, not all the time. Usually after warmed up. Then about 2 weeks ago it was doing it all the time every time, after warming up. When cold, seemed to run ok. Now, I don't even need to "choke" it when starting up.
The floats seem ok--not gas soaked or heavy.
Mixture screw froze in place at 1 3/4 turns out.

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #6 - 06/09/10 at 07:49:42

Had a problem like that on mine,turned out to be a leaking float.One easy way I found to find even a small leak is to heat the float up with a hair dryer(outside,of course!) while rotating it around.If it's got any gas at all in it,it WILL show up.
Good thing is,it's a brass float,so a little solder solved the problem.If you do have to solder it,don't forget to desolder the vent hole on the inside side of the float first,otherwise the solder will blow bubbles as the heat expands the air in it.Once you solder the leak,you solder the vent hole shut again.You have to wait for the expansion to quit(it will stop bubbling) so it will seal.If it's sealed right,it will suck the side in slightly once it cools.
Or,you can buy a new float for about $22.(I'm cheap!!! Grin)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/09/10 at 12:55:33

The result... runs the same as before...dies at idle, cruising ok.

Well,, you didnt mess anything up...just gotta find the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/10/10 at 06:38:38

I'm just gonna order new floats and be done with it. I hope. As Serobot said above, that's the only thing left it could be. As the floats are bouncing around while riding--up hill, down hill, bumpity bump--the condition comes and goes, although it seems to run bad more often than not.
I still don't understand what may have caused the noise reduction in the exhaust. Dam thing sounds like a Honda now. There's a big vent hose from top of head to air box. That was leaking-I replaced with new. Could that be the cause? How do I get the Harley sound back? I have a Harley muffler with baffle knocked out now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/10/10 at 10:09:53

Pull your float & shake it. If theres gas in it, youll know. If no gas in float, stick float in a pan O H2O & hold it down. Bubbles? Its bad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/11/10 at 15:19:37

Quote:
Or,you can buy a new float for about $22.

My dealer told me $72 plus tax!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/11/10 at 15:35:00

Check a float for leaks, put in in freezer for an hour or so, then submerse in warm soapy water.

Excess cold air in the float will expand and exit as it warms up, making bubbles you can see as it exits the hole it entered by.   PULL THE PART OUT OF THE WATER JUST AS SOON AS THE BUBBLES SLOW DOWN -- it is getting ready to suck water inside as soon as the bubbles stop.

Mark the leak locations with a sharpie pen.

Float can be dried in a warm 100 degree oven (not hotter if float has plastic in it) or put over a heat vent for a week or so to get the water out of it.  

You have to get all the gasoline and or water out of it .....

You can get a float to puke out internal water by chilling it in the fridge then orienting the water "down" over the hole and warming the body pf the float with a hair drier (be gentle here, don't melt your plastic float !!!)   Expanding air will force the water out the hole -- repeat several times until all the water is out.

Use 2 part clear epoxy to seal the float up, then check it for leaks to find out if you got all of them.

A repaired float will require float height adjustment (the total weight has changed).

$80 with shipping, I'd at least try to fix it !!!    What do you have to lose, some time?

==================

Ours looks like a sheet brass float.   Solder joints are tough for non-soldering people to fix -- use the 2 part epoxy trick to reseal it.

You can heat your float up to 212 degrees F to get the water out of it, don't go much higher as you will melt the solder and the whole thing will come apart on you (ask me how I know this ...  Embarrassed)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #12 - 06/11/10 at 15:55:18

drums1 wrote on 06/11/10 at 15:19:37:
Quote:
Or,you can buy a new float for about $22.

My dealer told me $72 plus tax!

Crap!!!Remind me to stay away from your dealer!
I just double-checked with my local Suzuki dealer,and he quoted me $19.05  plus tax.
Somebody's got one helluva markup!
Also,thank you Oldfeller for suggesting epoxy.I'm an electronics tech and I sometimes forget everybody doesn't solder! Embarrassed
(As an aside,a heat gun desolders the whole thing real well!I won't do THAT again!)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/11/10 at 17:14:47

Drums,... I know you rebuilt the petcock,... but try this test ...
It will cost nothing, and is quick and easy to do...

Test it by pulling the vacuum line off at the intake port, and blocking it and the intake port on the carb, ...(Note: just pulling the line will create a huge vacuum leak,.. both ends must be capped!)...
Then ride, with the petcock set to prime, and see if it runs better... If it runs better, the petcock is bad...
Don't forget to block these ends!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/11/10 at 23:56:57

drums1 wrote on 06/08/10 at 17:13:19:
Also, it seems to run a lot smoother, but way quieter. Almost sounds like I put a new muffler on.

So let's check this out.
what muf do you have?
what's normal? wake the dead? mouse fart?

suppossin' you had a stock muf, drilled out some.  'an 80's muf could drop enough rust to block the drilled out holes.  So is it back to mousey?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:15:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New parts--still flooding. HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.