Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New parts--still flooding. HELP! (Read 411 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: New parts--still flooding. HELP!
Reply #15 - 06/13/10 at 06:00:49

boulevardsuzuki.com has the float for $14.06 plus shipping.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 06/13/10 at 07:06:43

Thanks Jefsav....I will be getting one there for sure.

Slavvy--as for the muffler--it's an old HD muffler I got from someone on here a couple years ago-had baffle knocked out already--bike sounded like a little Harley. Now sounds like a Honda or a Suzuki with OE muffler. I checked the innards and I can still see right through it. About the size of a nickle. And like I said, the only things I changed was the diaphram in petcock, needle, o-ring on needle seat, vacuum line to petcock, gas line, and that big vent hose. (head to airbox) I also did a minor valve adjust. (1/8 turn or less) Just enough to get rid of the clackity-clack noise. Oh, and a new spark plug.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #17 - 06/16/10 at 11:17:10

Serowbot wrote on 06/11/10 at 17:14:47:
Drums,... I know you rebuilt the petcock,... but try this test ...
It will cost nothing, and is quick and easy to do...

Test it by pulling the vacuum line off at the intake port, and blocking it and the intake port on the carb, ...(Note: just pulling the line will create a huge vacuum leak,.. both ends must be capped!)...
Then ride, with the petcock set to prime, and see if it runs better... If it runs better, the petcock is bad...

You are my new favorite person! I was experiencing all the same problems as drums1 and was having a hell of a time figuring it out. This trick was very easy and made my bike run like a champ. Thank you! I'll be getting a new petcock soon. I was just wondering, because my bike is my only transportation for now, is there any problem with running it this was for a couple days as long as I remember to turn the valve to "ON" rather than "PRIME" when I shut the bike off??

Also, thanks everyone who posts here, your tips, tricks and advice are great.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 06/16/10 at 12:01:56

That will be fine,.. just remember that when running on prime, you don't have any reserve if you run out of gas... Wink...

See here for info on buying a manual Raptor petcock replacment for $20.00... or so...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/16/10 at 13:10:14

If you have removed and replaced your main jet, you may be missing a very small bushing that is up inside the tube above it.
This happened on my TW a couple of weeks ago and the dam little thing evaporated. It cost me 40 bucks for a new one, counting shipping charges.
Lack of it will most assuradely cause a richness of a degree that the bike will not run for crap no matter what else you do.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 06/16/10 at 19:36:51

Are you talking about the washer that goes on the main jet? Ya I made sure it was there. My problem started out of the blue, before I ever took carb apart. Come and go--got worse with time. Well, I took carb off AGAIN, and reset the float. It was a little off-(how that happens by itself I'll never figure out) I also did the dunk in gas and water--no bubbles, let go and it pops right up. Float is good. If resetting it doesn't work, I give up. I'll know tomorrow morning when I finish putting it all back together.
The last thing I'll try is Serobots check, if it's still not right. I'll update when I know.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #21 - 06/18/10 at 07:33:06

Well. I'm beside myself and I truly give up. I got it all back together again, and it's doing the exact same thing as when I started. About 1 mile into ride it starts sputtering and dying everytime I stop. It's like a choke problem on a car. I just let off the gas in 4th gear, going about 40mph, and it died. I popped the clutch back out and it wouldn't start back up until I pulled over and cranked on it for about 20 seconds. Then, it still wanted to keep dying out. I revved the piss out of it and eventually it stayed running but I had to keep revving it up when at red lights. Sounds like it's way too lean almost, but I smell gas and it's dripping out the vent tubes. And if I pull out the enrichment valve, it dies right away. Then it starts running ok for a bit, then running like crap. Back and forth. I wonder if the timing chain is jumping a tooth at random. It shouldn't be, since I had the tension adjuster replaced last summer with the "new and improved" one from the dealer, during last years fiasco. It's an '87, but only 16,000 OE miles on it. I'm about ready to put the dam thing up for sale. But who, in their right mind, would even consider buying it?

Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad  Angry Sad

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #22 - 06/18/10 at 10:56:15

drums1 - Did you try Serowbot's trick of turning to "prime" and pluggint he vacuum line? I had the exact same problems you are describing, and this helped me find out it was the petcock all along. Even if you know you just rebult it, this only takes 30 seconds and is definitely worth a try.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #23 - 06/18/10 at 11:26:15

As soon as the storms roll through, I'm going to the parts house to buy a little rubber cap. Golf tee's I have a thousand of, but being a mechanic, you'd think I could find one little rubber cap? No such luck. Serobots check is the ONLY thing left I haven't tried because, yes, I just rebuilt the dam petcock. I hate to think I just spent $22 for nothing. If that's the case and it is bad, it will be smashed into 1000 little pieces, right before I go and spend another $20 on the Raptor.

("I don't want a pickle....just want to ride on my motor-cycle")

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 06/18/10 at 12:34:30

The only thing left,... is always the culprit... Grin...

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #25 - 06/18/10 at 13:24:42

And I'll be dammed if it ain't.... My sincere apologies go out to Serowbot and others who suggested his check, for not doing it sooner. I did it today and then put on 30 miles with no problems whatsoever. As I type this I just remembered I forgot to shut off the gas...................
Wow. I just ran out to garage and expected gas to be all over the floor and a full crankcase--not the case. Strange. Apparently the new needle and o-ring on the seat and the new diaphram are doing their thing. So do I need a Raptor or can I just stay with the modified OE petcock? (Being as I spent $23 on that useless diaphram 1 week ago?) Is that the difference--the Raptor has no diaphram?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #26 - 06/18/10 at 14:19:17

I don't know the difference really, but the guys here all suggested it and they seem to know their stuff. So I ordered one immediately. Glad you got it fixed, I know how aggravating it is!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 06/18/10 at 16:02:20

The petcock from a Yamaha Raptor works manually instead of by vacuum...  This is the way petcocks have operated for nearly a century until some fool thought that a vacuum operation would be clever...
I'm glad you've found the problem,... but, bypassing it, ain't fixing it...  with it bypassed, you will no longer have a reserve, and whatever ain't right in there, will still be wrong... and, the Raptor looks better, works better, and makes tank removal easier for future maintenance...  

I know it's an irksome thought,.. but the $23.00 you wasted on the stock petcock repair is still wasted, whether you buy a Raptor or not...  

I'd strongly recommend getting a Raptor,...
This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...

PS,.. people recommend that you shut off a manual petcock when you park, but I never have... and it's never been a problem for me in 30 years...  I only shut off to pull the tank or do carb work...
... as it is,... you have know idea whether turning your broken petcock to run position when parked is doing anything anyway...

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - 06/18/10 at 17:51:29

Took serowbot's suggestion a few weeks ago and plugged the vac port with a screw after the raptor install...then I took a little rubber tip from one of those wire kitchen racks to cover the screw...almost looks like it was made that way...which it probably should have been...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #29 - 07/05/10 at 21:40:47

Bubba wrote on 06/18/10 at 17:51:29:
Took serowbot's suggestion a few weeks ago and plugged the vac port with a screw after the raptor install...then I took a little rubber tip from one of those wire kitchen racks to cover the screw...almost looks like it was made that way...which it probably should have been...

Another way to skin that cat:

I squeezed a bit of RTV into the hose first.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New parts--still flooding. HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.