Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have an oil leak - new-b (Read 150 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
I have an oil leak - new-b
06/08/10 at 05:13:32

I have been riding my 1996 bike for about a week now - it had been setting for over a year with the previous owner - the first few days i rode it i could smell hot oil but no smoke or obvious leaks - yesterday after i got home (5 mile ride) I noticed oil on the tool bag cover - it appears to be leaking on the front of the motor somewhere (possible the head cover??) and blowing back on to the tool cover......anyone else had this problem? fixes?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Re: I have an oil leak - new-b
Reply #1 - 06/08/10 at 06:39:14

There's a plug in the head cover- basically a rubber stopper situated over one of the four main head bolts. I'll bet dollars to donuts that's the source of your leak. There's a thread around here somewhere in the Tech section...  Cool

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #2 - 06/08/10 at 08:05:22

yep i have seen that post - i suppose i need to invest in some tools including a torque wrench.....simple mechanical issues i can handle - stuff requiring a healthy measure of patience and technical skill is not my bag baby.......wonder if I need to invest in a gasket kit as well?......no Suzuki dealers or service in Greensboro, NC closest is Thomasville or Winston Salem......

</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/08/10 at 08:57:22

Give it a good cleaning and confirm where it's coming from.
Under the head leaks can be fixed by retorquing the two nuts front and back.
A leak coming from some place unseen is usually the head plug.
then some of the head cover bolts are in the oil path so they can leak.
the head cover can leak as well as the inspection covers.
Sometimes a little RTV under a bolt head or a new O-ring can fix a leak.

WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #4 - 06/08/10 at 19:17:24

thank you so much for the insights to the little things that it can be - i really appreciate your help - i will check the items you mentioned.

</div
  IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #5 - 06/08/10 at 19:22:18

Hey weracerc,

I'm at Lake Norman and we have a dealer in Cornelius and Statesville- the Statesville guys seem more into the older stuff, tho.  I've got a 98 I just tagged today- and have to find a similar oil leak!  Hope you enjoy yours-  hope I enjoy mine, too!

Dave

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 06/10/10 at 05:47:48

well arfter cleaning the engine and checking for the source of the leak it appears to be coming from the bolt that is visible inside the port beside the exhaust - not from the head cover - this appears to take a more extensive fix - I may just take it to the nearest factory mechanic at this point.

</div
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/10/10 at 07:35:11

That sounds like the head plug. There's an opening next to the exhaust - it's only purpose is to make room for the right front head bolt, which sits a couple of inches lower than the other head bolts. Just above that would be the rubber plug. This plug needs to be removed, cleaned and re-sealed about every five or six thousand miles. The oil stain it leaves usually tracks around the engine from the front right to the left and  then back. The oil tends to flow with the lean of the bike when it's on side stand, then, when you ride, it ooozes towards the rear along the head fins.

Yes, fixing this requires a torque wrench, but it's not very difficult, more of an accounting/cleaning job - I think there are 17 individual bolts to undo to peel the head cover off. There's a template on this site that we use to track which bolt goes where - this job is how a lot of us get introduced to the inside workings of the LS650 engine.  Whenever I do mine, I take the opportunity to set the valve lash and torque down the head.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/10/10 at 07:48:51

Here's your pictorial thread showing how to do a variety of things to your engine with it still in the frame.    Has pictures and "gotcha" warnings for all the common issue you will run into.   You have to take the top cover off to get to your plug, the plug installation is covered in here along with some things you may not need, such as a cam or a tensioner (or, maybe you do them and won't realize it until the clutch side cover comes off)

Grin   Grin   Grin

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #9 - 06/10/10 at 09:46:56

as I go through all of this excellent information i realize that the leak has to be coming from the plug/bolt cover in the head (the usaual leak)......taking the head cover off is somewhat intimidating to me - i will have to aquire the right tools including the torque wrench.....and as long as it took me to actually buy a bike and then get on it for the first time and ride - i cant afford to let this somewhat minor setback to get in my way......I will get r done sooner than later...as far as cam work goes that i will leave to a highly trained professional.

</div
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #10 - 06/11/10 at 10:30:19

ok i am going to ask a really stupid question now - has anyone ever tried to look through the front valve window to confirm the cap is misalligned, askew, etc before taking the head cover off? and or tried to press the cap back in place thru the front valve window without taking the top off?.......

</div
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/11/10 at 10:32:32

weracerc wrote on 06/08/10 at 05:13:32:
I have been riding my 1996 bike for about a week now - it had been setting for over a year with the previous owner - the first few days i rode it i could smell hot oil but no smoke or obvious leaks - yesterday after i got home (5 mile ride) I noticed oil on the tool bag cover - it appears to be leaking on the front of the motor somewhere (possible the head cover??) and blowing back on to the tool cover......anyone else had this problem? fixes?

Best bet would be to contact BP Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/11/10 at 11:27:42

weracerc wrote on 06/11/10 at 10:30:19:
ok i am going to ask a really stupid question now - has anyone ever tried to look through the front valve window to confirm the cap is misalligned, askew, etc before taking the head cover off? and or tried to press the cap back in place thru the front valve window without taking the top off?.......

I wish it was as simple as that.  The plug is captured between the head cover and head, there is a little clearance, Clarence, but not much.  And unless you got an extendable fiber optic eyeball, not much chance of you seeing it.

WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 06/11/10 at 11:36:19

i figured it couldnt be that simple....wishful thinking and at least i tried....i guess i WILL become a mechanic whether i want to or not!.......I race radio controlled cars (have been since 1988) that is a different kind of mechanic not so dirty and knuckle bustingly frustrating.....plus diabetic neuropathy makes doing stuff with my hands a real challenge at times.....oh well enough whining - the part has been ordered and i will get it fixed.

</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 05:35:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I have an oil leak - new-b

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.