Send Topic Print
I Went Ahead & Did It (Read 363 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
I Went Ahead & Did It
06/05/10 at 18:02:53

I finished designing and fabricating the mounts for my highway bar and driver backrest.  I got them all cut and shaped and clamped, then went to my mechanic (who has been a friend for 20+ years), and he had one of his guys MIG weld them for me.

I took BabyHog's suggestion and got a sissy bar with pad off eBay($22 + $8 shipping) it had a 9" spread on the bottom, so it was the right fit to go over our fender and sit on the top of the side rails.  I found some 1/8 " plate steel in the garage and went to a place in Houston called the "Metal Supermarket". and bought a 12" length of 3/4" square tube of 1/8 steel (for $3.25!), which left a 1/2 square inside, which was a great fit for the backrest legs.  Once they were welded and shaped, I set them up along the front side rail bolts, decided what angle I wanted, and marked and drilled the sheets so when they were bolted in, the plate was on the outside and the square tube was inside, between the plate and the fender, with the bottom of the tube sitting on the side rail.  I cut them off a little below the level of the seat.  I did not bolt the backrest in, so I can get on and then put the seat in behind me.

And YES, I know this does not leave much room for a passenger.  But lets be honest,  with me at 325,  there is not much likelihood of me carrying a passenger anyway.

The Highway Bar is mounted to a brace made from heavy duty angle steel, bent to a pair of right angles, welded top & bottom, and bolted to two holes drilled into the side plates from the Ed L forward control kit.  

I will probably replace the pegs on the Highway bar (I got it from eBay as well).  I need for the pegs to be another few inches forward, so if anyone has any suggestions for what to use, or how to do that, please feel free to suggest.

Backrest in place

Right mount

Left Mount

Highway Bar Mount

Peg Spacing

IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Re: I Went Ahead & Did It
Reply #1 - 06/05/10 at 20:12:52

I like it.  Good idea of how to mount the highway bars.  and the back rest is nice.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/06/10 at 07:21:02

You got quiet a leak going th Shockedere

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #3 - 06/07/10 at 06:47:23

Those pegs look comfy!

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/07/10 at 13:55:07

ralfyguy wrote on 06/06/10 at 07:21:02:
You got quiet a leak going th Shockedere

I'm guessing you are referring to the darkening on the cylinder fins.  They were like that when I got it back in Nov, and don't seem to have changed much.  There is no oil on the floor where I park, and the oil level in the sight window does not seem to have changed.

Anything I should be doing or looking at?

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #5 - 06/07/10 at 17:12:12

Here's a couple posts from the tech section referring to the plug cap leak:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177184297

It normally will just seep oil, so it may not be obvious. You might try some de-greaser on the cylinder to get it clean, then just wait & see if the leak comes back. (I bet it does) Of course you could also just ride the piss out of it, keep a check on your oil level though...

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/07/10 at 17:49:45

earlytimz wrote on 06/07/10 at 17:12:12:
It normally will just seep oil, so it may not be obvious. You might try some de-greaser on the cylinder to get it clean, then just wait & see if the leak comes back. (I bet it does) Of course you could also just ride the piss out of it, keep a check on your oil level though...

Will the seepage cause any other problems?  Other than just looking bad?  As long as I keep an eye on the oil level.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #7 - 06/07/10 at 20:00:57

Mostly cosmetic, I would say... & possibly stinky, smokey oil burning off. Expect it to be really nasty if you ever get in there to work on it, but that's when you'll likely be looking to fix it.  Wink

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/08/10 at 15:16:55

earlytimz wrote on 06/07/10 at 20:00:57:
Mostly cosmetic, I would say... & possibly stinky, smokey oil burning off. Expect it to be really nasty if you ever get in there to work on it, but that's when you'll likely be looking to fix it.  Wink

Anything down there I can screw up if I take the pressure washer to it to get it clean and see how long it takes to get nasty again

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #9 - 06/08/10 at 17:28:06

Spray some cleaner on there & let it soak a bit (Mean green, agent orange, whatever you got..) Then hit it with the pressure washer. Everything is sealed up, but I'd be careful of the coil and other electronicals up under the tank. If you get them wet it won't hurt, just give them plenty of time to dry out before you start it. Don't want any electrical shorts or anything.
Also, it won't hurt to spray the carb, but I wouldn't bear down on it with the pressure washer. It could be possible to force water into it, just focus your spray on the head & you'll be peachy keen.
Post up some updated pics when you get it clean!

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/08/10 at 18:01:51

earlytimz wrote on 06/08/10 at 17:28:06:

Wilco.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/15/10 at 17:47:10

earlytimz wrote on 06/08/10 at 17:28:06:

OK Here is how it looks cleaned up.  Brushed on an engine parts cleaner with a foam paint brush, then used the pressure washer.  Once it was clean, I got the air tank and used it to blow out any left over water.  I still left it sit for a while before I started it.

As long as it was all clean, I masked off the parts around the forward controls plate, and painted it black to match the frame.

I did a 100 mile ride on it Sunday afternoon after I cleaned it, and here is how it looked after the ride.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #12 - 06/15/10 at 19:35:30

Looks good man!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home