Send Topic Print
First 200 Mile Trip (Read 207 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
First 200 Mile Trip
06/03/10 at 05:27:48

My son has had his Honda 750 shadow here at my place north of Houston since Christmas.  He finally moved from a crappy place to a nice place in San Marcos, where he felt the bike would be safe, so wife & I loaded up some of his stuff in the family Expedition, which she drove, and I got to ride his bike over to San Marcos.

Now for those of you familiar with the area, I know it's not 200 miles if you take the highway routes (US 290 or IH 10), but the highways are not my favorite, and not as much fun anyway, so I routed the trip on a bunch of Farm-Market roads (County roads for those of you not from these parts).  Took me through a lot of little small towns, the County Seat of several counties.  Went through Bellville, La Grange, & Lockhart, all old style layout where you have to go around the town square & County Courthouse to go down main street.  Never was passed by, or passed another car going the same direction, and most of the time, only saw another car going the other direction every 4-5 minutes.  Weather was great, around 75 when I left, about 85 by the time I got there.  Speed limits around 55 or 60 most of the way, but I only averaged about 45 due to the towns.  

Now I just have to find an excuse to do it again!! Grin

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: First 200 Mile Trip
Reply #1 - 06/03/10 at 05:30:54

Cool!  I am planning a trip next week, about 300 miles or so.  A buddy is coming and we are going to ride down the outer banks.  I can't wait!  We will take two days to do that.

Any words of wisdom?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #2 - 06/03/10 at 05:43:55

Cruising the backroads... Nice!
We've got a lot of those around here too (going 'round the square). I love the history in those small towns & it's even better on a bike...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 06/03/10 at 06:04:43

We did 180 miles on mainly back roads this past Sunday.  Visiting cemetaries... my father-in-law, my father, and step-father.  Any of the three would only have been 50 miles at most, but in opposite directions, so we made a big loop.   Got to ride a couple roads I hadn't ridden before.  Oh, and my first actual ride on the Interstate - about 5 miles, tense but exhilirating!  It was a beautiful, warm, slightly overcast day.  Got a light sunburn, but I love it.  I saw temp on my handlebar thermometer hit 106.7° once, but that includes engine heat and blazing sun.  Air temps riding were probably 75ish.  Perfect!

Mike - take pics!.... I've never been to the outer banks!  Oh, and ride safe!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 06/03/10 at 06:24:07

Babyhog, I am planning on taking pictures and I will give a report when I get back.  What kind of thermometer do you have on your bike, I have been looking for one.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/03/10 at 07:08:03

Cool, we likes pictures...  

Its actually just a cheap Bell thing, bought it intending to use as a trip meter, but the magnet/wheel thingy didn't work on my bike.  Since it had the thermometer on it, I kept it just for that.  Just wish it had a clock too.  Ebay has some nice chrome clock/thermometers, almost look like a big man's ring, but they are a little pricey for me.  The Bell is accurate on temperature though. 

Here's what I have:

Here's what I'd like to have, they make a matching clock:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Chrome-Motorcycle-1-7-8-Handlebar-Thermo...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 06/03/10 at 07:16:53

Piglet, try this place, they matching clocks and thermometers. Kinda pricey but it's only money.

AL

http://www.clocks4bikes.com/handlebar.html

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 06/03/10 at 07:34:30

I think I hijacked the thread, sorry about that.   Sad

I have seen the ones like you mention on ebay, Babyhog and Al is right, it is only money.

I am looking for something much more economical, the bell thing might fit the bill.  I would like something with a clock and a thermometer in it.

Right now I have a cheap (like 25 cents from a yard sale) watch on the bandlebars.  It works, but I cannot figure out how to turn the alarm off.  However, I cannot hear the alarm due to my ears not working so good, therefore I don't worry about it.  (My wife and kids can hear the alarm beeping, but not me!)  I put a thermomoter like you stick in the dash to check the AC temp and that seems to work pretty good, just zip tied to to the bars.  

Babyhog, can you display the temp and time on that thing together, that is what I am really looking for.

prechermike   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #8 - 06/03/10 at 07:44:55

I'm wanting something like this. There are a few on ebay, but they're just clocks... No thermometer... I guess I can just tell when it's hot & when it's not... LoL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White-Seiko-Motorcycle-Stem-Clock-Fits-27-30mm...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 06/03/10 at 08:19:50

Tanker -- so sorry for your thread gone crazy!  

Yes, I really like those, and I don't mind spending money on my bike, but that's just a hard price to justify.... for what it is.  I think I'll start another thread and maybe we'll get other suggestions.  Yea ET, hot is hot, cold is cold, but see, I figured out when I need gloves, when I need chaps, etc, by the temperature!  And I like being able to say "it was 106.7° while I was riding!"  LOL

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/03/10 at 09:15:07

I'm with you
country rides are really good.
One of the best rides I had was North carolina small towns and back roads.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 06/03/10 at 10:15:27

Who has the best back roads??  

We have some nice hilly, curvy roads, but our road maintenance leaves a bit to be desired, to say the least!  I'm more cautious of re-patch work...  patching the same spots, over and over...  

Tanker - Your excuse to do it again....  gotta see how the Savage handles on the same road.  We need a comparison report.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #12 - 06/03/10 at 10:24:30

Babyhog,

Serowbot and I have used these clocks for a couple of years.  Good price and no problems.

http://www.aerostich.com/clock-clip.html

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/03/10 at 10:40:54

I have a cheap watch form walmart with leather band,I put it around the brake reservoir.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 06/03/10 at 12:40:37

on the site that gerald.hughes posted there is a package deal of clock, thermometer, and compass.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:46:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First 200 Mile Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!