Send Topic Print
Savage as a first bike (Read 177 times)
Yan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage as a first bike
06/06/10 at 14:15:01

Hi, my wife is considering purchasing her first bike and the choice is narrowed down to either the Savage or the 250cc Yamaha V-Star (formerly known as Virago). I have a few question please:

- what are the major differences between Savage and S40? We seen both (in different shops) - looks like the handlebars are shaped differently. Or may be one of them had an aftermarket one. Anything else?

- anyone who has a Savage previously owned or at least ridden a Virago? I would expect Savage to have less maintanance (fewer cylinders, fewer valves, no chain) - am I correct? I would also expect it to be better more powerful when going into the wind of uphill - right? I noticed that top speed is the same for both - around 85mhp. Any other pro's and con's of these two bikes?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond!
Yan

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Savage as a first bike
Reply #1 - 06/06/10 at 14:51:58

I don't think many people here know much about the Yamaha 250,I don't think it would do 85mph,most 250s maybe 75mph.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/06/10 at 14:59:53

1964-1987, retread in 2004.  Rode small bikes, 12+ years in Los Angeles in a 1974 DT175, took a GS450E in Los Angeles - Seatle.

As a retread I was still wanting a dual-sport.  But new technology did not allow nose bleed seats.  Looked at cruisers with that low seat.  I knew what I needed, a 250 for city riding and occasional freeway.  Looked at the Rebel (side cases hit my thighs) and was looking at the Suzuki's little single versus the Yamaha's little V-Twin.  Do like the V-Twin, but do like the singles that I looked in the dirt.  Both about 300 pounds, both good enough power, easy riding, hard to choose.

Then I saw a Savage.  Hmmmm.....  Physically the same size, small and easy ride.  Only a 50 pound handicap in the weight.  Found that is was a fit physical, bought one.  It had the easy 250cc city ride I wanted, but where it was strain at 70-75 in Los Angles I was capable on keeping up with 80+ mph in Los Angeles traffic.

The Savage is a beginner's bike, but is it also a bike keep to riding for ever.  It is a city bike and a Interstate tourer.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/06/10 at 15:44:52

The S40 is essentially the same as a savage after 1995 in the US.

Some years have the buckhorn handlebars and some have the drags with tall risers.  If you get one or the other it's easy enough to find someone that wants the other and trade.  Or go with after market bars.  They are 1" diameter bars, same as harley.  

'86 thru '88 are 4 speeds, no problem with that, but these models also don't have a torque limiter on the starter which fixes a problem with kickback on shutdown.

There are a few girls on here, and a couple that are rather tiny.  I don't think I've heard from any on them that the savage is too much to handle.  And as far as handling goes, a group of savages are heading out to ride the tail of the dragon.  300 some odd turns in 11 miles.  We taunt harley riders to keep up with us and make the squids cry cause they can't shake us.

The stock bike will run out of breath at 80 to 90 mph, but on a so called beginner bike, how often are do you want to go faster? But if you do, there are tuning tricks and performance mod's to be gotten cheaply.  But what the savage does have is torque, throw it into gear, rev her up and drop the clutch, hope you had a tight grip cause she'll try to throw you.  Slip the clutch instead of dropping it and she'll pull away nicely.

You might not guess but the savage was my 1st and only bike.  I've learnt most every aspect of maintaining the bike from the fellows here and the newb's that ask the darndist questions.  We get surely from time to time, but that's life, we take a shower then we're good again.

BTW, tell us what you find, and we'll advise you as best we can.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/06/10 at 16:07:45

They were called Yammerscammer Very Slows for a reason... the only Virago worth throwing a leg over was the 1100. And that bike was known as a man-killer, great torque, decent horsepower, weak chassis and pathetic brakes. And very high maintenance, it was literally a mildly updated Vincent Black Shadow engine with slightly better electrical components.

The Route 66 model of the 250 is getting to be highly collectible, the standard is a throw away. Great learner bike, but rapidly outgrown, with roughly zero resale or trade in value. It's as big a joke as a 250 Rebel, but without the name recognition.

The Savage can make a great learner/keeper bike. Same weight and wheelbase as a real (1960s) 250, a bit underpowered compared to 650 parallel twins but will happily keep up with bigger bikes all day long on the slab. Has its quirks the same as any other model, has little to no dealership support, and is still a bit unusual in the USA. Other than the CDI ignition and vacuum fuel tap (1970s technology) she's straight out of the late 1950s or early 1960s. Easy to work on, air-cooled, real metal fenders and fuel tank, old fashioned spoke wheels with tubes...

I've had mine for a touch over 12 years now. I flog it like I hate it, ride all my bikes that way. Savage is still going strong, the liquid cooled 99 Vulcan't 800A I had spun a bearing under the same riding parameters. I need new tires, yet still take 40 mph curves at 60 mph, my 2005 Vulcan't 800B wiped out and broke my shoulder at 20mph in a 40 mph curve, with fresh rubber (3 months old tires). My Savage has technically been totalled out, my stepson laid it over at 35 mph in the rain (in front of a cop) into a curb, holing the fuel tank, bending the rear fender, tweaking the bars... I'm riding the bike to work almost daily. Savages have full frames, the engine and transmission were just fine. A Virago would have broken in half, the engine isn't properly protected.

Have your wife test sit Savage, V-Star 650, Shadow VLX 600 (very good bike). Don't waste money on a 250, unless she is tiny she will be bored with it very quickly. Savage sits a bit higher than the v-twins listed, Savage and Shadow will outhandle the Star due to having taller/lighter/narrower front wheels. Shadow is a 4-speed chain drive.

I like small bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/06/10 at 19:53:52

I would pass on a 250. I started on a rebel 250 one summer and sold it the next spring to get my savage which Ive had for 2 years now and have absolutely no intention of selling. The savage has a 250 size, weight, and price, is incredibly easy to work on once you start learning. Id opt for a Honda VLX or a Savage. VLXs are more expensive and not as easy to work on but they are Honda...if you buy into the Honda mythos of indestructability. Savage's have known design quirks/flaws (cam chain & tensioner) that are easily and cheaply remedied. VLXs are slightly heavier. Both are bikes that are small and light enough to learn on without becoming immediately bored. Between the two I would (and did) choose a savage for its simplicity, cheaper price, and above all because of this forum. This forum is so extensive and informative that many, myself included, look to the forum as the 1st source for info and look in the manual as an auxilliary.

IP Logged
ghstrdr110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Demotte, IN
Reply #6 - 06/06/10 at 21:38:27

I would highly recommend the S40/Savage. Easy maintance, great handling, great fuel milage, more than enough power to keep up with bigger bikes. I almost got a 250 for my first bike two years ago. I'm 6' 220#. 250's run outta stream quick. She'll feel comfortable on a S40. hardly weighs more than a 250 and she won't "outgrow" it. I ride with a group of Harley's 883's and Road Kings. I can keep up and even lead. Only downside is that i have to refuel more often than they do, but that is fixable with modding the tank to a sportster tank.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/06/10 at 21:45:00

Screw up & pull out & see someone bearing down on ya riding a 250, U get mashed. Do the same while riding a 650, dial on the beans & get outta the way. I wouldnt ride a wimpy 250. If you just need a light, cheap to operate bike, get a Ninja 250. As far as Ive heard, theyll GIT pretty good. Of course, what the freight weighs matters, a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/07/10 at 04:46:24

We bought my wife an S40 last year as her 1st bike and in hindsight, it was the right choice.

The S40 is a lightweight, nimble bike that is very easy to handle. It is a VERY good beginner bike but the beauty of it is that it's more than that. It's a good bike, period. Although it will flat run circles around a 250 it's power level is easy to handle for a beginner.

here's a quick pro/con list off the top of my head:
PRO'S:
-handles curves very well for a cruiser
-easy to handle for beginners
-light weight/ nimble
-looks good-like a "real bike" not a toy.
-good torque
-VERY simple and easy to work on (easy for the DIY'er and should be cheap for the "take it to the shop" crowd)
-VERY low maintanence
-Light clutch pull for those who don't have gorilla hands (this was important for my wife as she has small hands)
-Good forum for technical support Wink

CON'S:
-Cam chain tensioner is marginal- (easy, inexpensive fix)
-A bit gutless in stock form (I ride a GSXR so I may have a slightly scewed view of what "gutless" really is)-it is easy to coax more power from the S40/Savage so don't let this sway you.
-tendancy to POP (exhaust) on decell in stock tune- can be minimized for very little investment. Eleminating all together is more difficult.
-Limited aftermarket accessories. Lots of parts for other bikes (Harleys) can be made to work pretty easy).

Peronally, I would skip a 250. They are excellent bikes to start on but they are quickly "outgrown" and will leave you searching for another bike. The S40 is just as easy to handle but has the growth potential that will not require moving up to a bigger bike anytime soon (if ever).

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 06/07/10 at 06:00:13

If you wanted a push toward the S40, you came to the right place.  The vast majority of us love our Savage/S40's!  Wink

I rode a V-star 250 in my MSP course, and there was a beautiful black-cherry one at the dealership.  I said I'd have that bike some day!!  Thankfully, I found the S40 and bought it instead.  I'm still considering buying bigger some day, so I know that I would have been bored on the 250 in no time!  

So here are the high points for me (5'2, 115# female):

-First, the price was right and the bike was available when I wanted it.

-It looks awesome.  Let's face it, for a female, if she doesn't like the looks of the bike, she's not gonna like the bike.  There are some easy modifications and add-ons (although yes, aftermarket parts specific for this bike are limited, but many will crossover.  They just don't always say so)

-Light, thin, good weight distrubution, easy to handle with my small frame.

-Hubby rides a big, wide, powerful C90, so I love that I can keep up with him.  I don't think a 250 would have done it.  We mostly ride under 60 mph, but I never feel like I'm holding him back because of my bike.  (maybe my insecurities, being a new rider, but never because the bike won't do it)

-I think one of my favorite things is how easy it pulls out.  I can start so smoothly, I barely give any throttle when on level ground.  And I can pull out quick, if necessary.  Can jump hubby off the line at a stop light every time!  I bet I haven't killed the engine more than a handful of times when taking off, and those are the times that I have bobbled, and nearly dropped it.  (Yes, I have dropped it a time or two, on my sloped driveway, and on gravel)

-Its not a discouraging bike to learn on.  I had my doubts about riding, but this is a forgiving bike.  I learned to love it quickly.

In essence, we can't decide for you.  Look at what is important to you (her!) and hopefully some of our comments will help!

Oh, and yes, this forum is a wealth of information and full of knowledgeable people!

Welcome to you, and let us know what you decide....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 06/07/10 at 06:10:40

Having had a Rebel 250 and now the S-40. I would definetly go for the S-40.

The Rebel is great to begin yet nothing she can't handle with the S-40. I got bored quick with the Rebel and couldn't wait to move to something with more spunk. The S-40 gives  all of that. It really is a great bike and is so enjoyable to do the twisties with..

Take her and let her sit on one and if nothing else take her for a test ride on one. Better yet if she has her endorsement, let her ride it herself. CAUTION, she may not come back for awhile.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #11 - 06/07/10 at 20:24:28

the savage is my first bike and I like it alot.. its low and light easy to handle and very easy maintenance.. I was told by a few people not to get a 250, but something closer to a 500, because they are too slow for the highway and outgrown very quickly.  the savage 650 has smooth power delivery because it has alot of torque from the big single.. but it doesn't have enough top end to get you into trouble.. runs outta piss pretty quickly if you don't change the gears(owners manual says to be in 5th by 30mph or so).. 250's also seem to be a bit jerky.. nothing at 1/4 throttle and then pop on suddenly beyond that..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:46:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage as a first bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.