Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Honda's U3-X Personal Mobility Prototype (Read 214 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Honda's U3-X Personal Mobility Prototype
06/02/10 at 08:32:34

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Honda's U3-X Personal Mobility Prototype
Reply #1 - 06/02/10 at 09:25:10

Are there people here who could have one & NOT be trying to mod it somehow?

They sure kept their toes close to the floor, dragging them often.

I walk WAY too fast to be happy getting around at that speed.
Besides, Id`RAther walk.

The people who really want one of those will, IMO, be the people who NEED to get off theyze butts & walk.

BUT, all that said, I totally dig the way they solved the problems. That wheel,, man thats something.

Wonder what happens when it gets all full of lint from the carpet....& dirt, floors are notorious for having dirt on them,, feet, shoes & all that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #2 - 06/02/10 at 09:53:25

I see where a person with some mobility problems would benefit from this.
A person with knee or hip problems may find it difficult.

And yes some would use it as an excuse not to walk at all.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/10 at 10:30:37

They clearly state that it is a concept, and it is a prototype, which obviously means it will be further developed. Hats off to Honda for developing something that will benefit the great many unfortunates with mobility problems.

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/10 at 10:36:26

I would love to see that wheel scaled up and used in other applications.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 06/02/10 at 18:09:52

I bet those girls wouldn't look as svelt in a year if they got around just using that wheel. I could see a use for elderly folks, like me. Smiley

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 06/03/10 at 14:05:04

Anyone seen the movie WALLE!!!! OMG.  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/04/10 at 11:48:24

Skid Mark wrote on 06/02/10 at 18:09:52:
I bet those girls wouldn't look as svelt in a year if they got around just using that wheel. I could see a use for elderly folks, like me. Smiley

Skid,I don't think an elderly person could get on the bloody thing, if you notice most people parking in the handicapped areas are morbidly
obese, there is no way my step mother could get on it ether,she has to weigh in around #280.
I think it's a plot to make the the remaining 40% of Americans fat,so they cant raise an army if they needed one.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #8 - 06/04/10 at 12:31:34

You are exactly right Skid Mark, and not to hijack the thread but this has been bugging me for awhile. That's a problem inherent to having to change from a busy lifestyle to mobility challenged. A few years ago my wife had a blood clot break loose from her aorta (sp?) and lodge in the small blood vessels to her left foot. They caught it all and put a stint in, but the nerve damage to her feet will never repair itself. I figure she used to walk 2-3 miles a day from building to building at the plant we both used to work, instead of taking the tunnels and golf carts because it was faster and nice to get out. (Heck, we all did, it was the only place the bosses left you alone!) Now she can't stand to walk more than a few football fields before her ankle and foot swells and she is in a fair amount of pain. The doctors say the can't do a lot for her. The problem is, her metabolism was used to her burning those extra calories and she didn't really change the way she ate until she'd put on quite a few pounds! Now she's in a daily fight to keep her weight down for her health, but the most common exercises to help that like treadmills are exactly what she can't do. She swims and rides a stationary bike, but that's about it! It's not like she just sits at the table and stuffs herself, but her calorie intake is more than she burns since she can't walk around as much. I used to see overweight people in Wal-mart on those scooters and think "where's your pride?" now I wonder how many are lazy and how many have a story like hers. My laborer buddy that just died was a 6'3" 280lb football player in school, worked doing heavy lifting all his life. Definitely was NOT lazy, had to go on disability after breaking his back. Didn't last 3 years and was darn near 400 lbs when he died. Did he suddenly get lazy? No, he just didn't stop eating like he always had until it was way too late! He couldn't exercise, he could barely walk. He said the same thing. By the time he realized it was a problem, it was too late!
Our eating habits and lifestyle are getting way out of balance despite all the information around us. If we're healthy enough to stay active as we age we're fine, but it doesn't take long to catch up to us if we have to slow down.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 06/04/10 at 13:33:51

It's a cool idea. The wheel is awesome and could have interesting uses in the future.

But I dont think it is practical. No one is as tiny or thin (or creepy-weird-blond) as the demo girl(s). The average American is too heavy to sit on that without flipping right over, then suing Honda for its innovation.

My disabled mother would love this - but there is no way every floor you encounter is smooth carpet, every doorway threshold-free, every passage wide enough for two machines to pass.

And how do you keep the wheels from clogging up with carpet lint, dirt, gravel, or the cute little bows on your kitten heels??  Huh

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/04/10 at 15:02:59

Can I get one with a turbo charged Hayabusa engine?

Phelonius Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Phelonius
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 06/04/10 at 16:54:47

Southpaw wrote on 06/04/10 at 12:31:34:

You are exactly right Skid Mark, and not to hijack the thread but this has been bugging me for awhile. That's a problem inherent to having to change from a busy lifestyle to mobility challenged. A few years ago my wife had a blood clot break loose from her aorta (sp?) and lodge in the small blood vessels to her left foot. They caught it all and put a stint in, but the nerve damage to her feet will never repair itself. I figure she used to walk 2-3 miles a day from building to building at the plant we both used to work, instead of taking the tunnels and golf carts because it was faster and nice to get out. (Heck, we all did, it was the only place the bosses left you alone!) Now she can't stand to walk more than a few football fields before her ankle and foot swells and she is in a fair amount of pain. The doctors say the can't do a lot for her. The problem is, her metabolism was used to her burning those extra calories and she didn't really change the way she ate until she'd put on quite a few pounds! Now she's in a daily fight to keep her weight down for her health, but the most common exercises to help that like treadmills are exactly what she can't do. She swims and rides a stationary bike, but that's about it! It's not like she just sits at the table and stuffs herself, but her calorie intake is more than she burns since she can't walk around as much. I used to see overweight people in Wal-mart on those scooters and think "where's your pride?" now I wonder how many are lazy and how many have a story like hers. My laborer buddy that just died was a 6'3" 280lb football player in school, worked doing heavy lifting all his life. Definitely was NOT lazy, had to go on disability after breaking his back. Didn't last 3 years and was darn near 400 lbs when he died. Did he suddenly get lazy? No, he just didn't stop eating like he always had until it was way too late! He couldn't exercise, he could barely walk. He said the same thing. By the time he realized it was a problem, it was too late!
Our eating habits and lifestyle are getting way out of balance despite all the information around us. If we're healthy enough to stay active as we age we're fine, but it doesn't take long to catch up to us if we have to slow down.

Sorry to hear about your wife ,is she getting a handle on it now ?
After my Aorta did a number on me I lost the use of my left hand,I can never ride again,or button a shirt,or do up my pants,well you get the picture,at the time of my surgery (Last Sept 4th) I also quit smoking, I thought I would explode but I didn't ,every thing tasted different,not better or worse just different,I almost quit eating all together I still eat very little I have a large bowl of sweet oatmeal
with 2 oz of cream on it and a pat of butter , for lunch A Banana.
for dinner a half a sandwhich. I was 145 when I went into hospital,
I am now 135 and feel fine I walk one mile a day.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/04/10 at 21:09:29

this thread said the creator was 'arthur' when I know it was gort.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #13 - 06/04/10 at 22:09:02

verslagen1 wrote on 06/04/10 at 21:09:29:
this thread said the creator was 'arthur' when I know it was gort.

Vers I stand corrected, it does indeed show the poster as Arthur (NOW)
I honestly believe it did not say that when he first posted ,so there is still someone out there mucking about with this site,some one who hated Gort,I would like to know who that is,he also directed some of his anger at me,at first I thought it was because I am an Athiest.
Besides why on earth would gort post as Arthur for a non offensive post like a mobile chair for the handicapped ? it just doesn't jive.
So what or who do you think this problem is ?

mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/04/10 at 22:50:39

mick wrote on 06/04/10 at 22:09:02:
So what or who do you think this problem is ?

Not likely that we'll really ever know.  I'm not going beat my head against the wall cause I don't know either.  I was wonderin' if gort was tryin' to do what bigX has done and screw'd himself.  There's probably some 'howto' on some forum hackers website that tells you how to do it.  Don't care.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:43:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda's U3-X Personal Mobility Prototype

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.