Student loan disaster (Read 204 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Student loan disaster
Reply #15 - 10/01/14 at 20:39:18

I paid my own way through art college, then got student loans for my university degree and teacher's college (small ones because I was married by then). During the early '80s when interest rates went sky high (18% for a mortgage) the bank defaulted on my loan, which had been negotiated at 4%. I had switched branches, and the new branch was supposed to be transferring payments to the old branch where the loan had been negotiated. Suddenly I get a notice from a collection agency that my old branch had sold the loan to. The government maintained that I was three months behind and they did not know my current address. I went to my new branch and the money was still there. I went to the collection agent and he showed me copies of the loan cards with my old address crossed out and my new one written in. It turns out the bank had conspired to collect on a lot of student loans that had been at low interest rates when the interest rates had gone sky high. It was cheaper for them to sell the loans to collection agencies than to keep them at 4% when interest rates were so high. In order for them to legally default the loan they 1) could not know my current whereabouts and 2) the loan had to be three months behind, neither of which were true. I complained to my Member of Parliament, and her office said that that particular bank had illegally defaulted on many student loans and that the government was working on it. When the dust settled I received an apology from the bank (but not an admission of guilt) and the rest of the loan was to be interest free.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #16 - 10/02/14 at 00:15:28

LostArtist wrote on 06/02/10 at 13:44:21:
a lot of Europe has nationally financed schools, the govt pays for it or part of it. that'll never happen in the USA

A number of things are "to be paid for" in the US, which are provided by local or federal government in Europe.

Among these, College tuition and Health Care.

Answer these questions :
- do you have to pay a bill when you call 911 and Police/Fire Dept. arrive? If not... why should you pay for medical? Why can't it be provided?
- do you pay High School tuition in the same way you pay for college ? Do you need a loan to see your children through 4 years of High School? Or does the State provide?

I'm not saying "it's wrong"; I'm just saying "I don't understand"... Actually, nobody does...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/02/14 at 13:17:01

When the goobs got into the college finance game the tuition started climbing.. We are from the government, and we are Here to Help You,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:53:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Student loan disaster

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.