Send Topic Print
Riding with Eyeglasses (Read 216 times)
Ralph_86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Romans 10:9

Fayette Co., WV
Riding with Eyeglasses
09/03/14 at 11:15:29

I'm pert near brand new to wearing prescription eyeglasses and was just curious as to my options when riding my bike.  I would hate for a rock to bust my only pair of good glasses, but at the same time, if I take them off and wear my riding glasses(not prescription), I'm worried that it could be dangerous.

So I'm wondering what all my options are and what you guys/gals do if you wear prescription glasses... Cool

1986 4spd Savage
Approx. 6,000 Miles
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Riding with Eyeglasses
Reply #1 - 09/03/14 at 11:59:20

Full face helmet works for me. I have both a smoked and clear visor.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 09/03/14 at 12:59:59

I picked up a pair of prescription riding glasses from http://riderseye.com/prescription.html. Mine are bifocal. My street glasses are the blended doodads. My next riding glasses will be single vision. I saw Walmart sells prescription riding glasses as well. I needed them to seal out the wind. Once I installed the windshield, riding glasses aren't required to keep out the wind and it does deflect most road debris. I have ridden with a shield on my half helmet. That will protect your glasses and keep the wind out of your eyeballs. I do typically wear the riding glasses though since they are much more shatter resistant.

I would suggest riding with your glasses to see if you need to keep the wind off your eyes. Mine are very sensitive to the air flow. Even if you don't need them for that, I would suggest either a shield (half or full helmet) or riding glasses. I prefer the riding glasses.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/03/14 at 13:55:44

Full face helmet as well. It is an HJC flip-up, I can leave my glasses on when I put it on.

However, I do often ride with the visor up, so it is often just the glasses in front of my eyes...

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #4 - 09/03/14 at 14:22:16

I wear contacts, full face for me BUT, i have a backup pair of glasses i keep in my bag just in case i lose a lens that i got from here http://www.zennioptical.com/  for 6$

That's where they start, those aren't bulletproof of course, but if the worry is that you'll break your glasses riding, 6$ is no big loss. And you can customize a lot about them, of course the more you need the more it costs but that's true of anything.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 09/03/14 at 14:42:43

With eye glasses, I use FF with shield or, 1/2 with tip down shield.
I always felt, that turning my head, with just glasses, the wind could whip them off.

In Shooting, just a pair, of good, 'over glasses', eye protection works. BUT, ya don't have the wind, trying to rip them off.

I am thinking that a good pair of over glasses, 'goggles', would work.
But just haven't found any that don't look like I am doing some Alpine Ski Jumping.  Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 09/04/14 at 04:13:41

I wear a streetfighter style lid (Lazer Dragon) which keeps the wind off the glasses. I've seem other crew with goggles like MX goggs that fit over the glasses too.
I have a pair of these http://barzoptics.com/arfa-surf-goggle-sunglasses for surfing but they're great for motorcycling, too. They come with a few different gaskets so you can use them in or out of water, and can get prescription lenses made for them. They're pricey but excellent.

IP Logged
Ralph_86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Romans 10:9

Fayette Co., WV
Reply #7 - 09/04/14 at 06:07:38

I only have a half helmet that I got a few years ago, when my only worry was looking "cool."  Until I decide upon/can afford a different helmet, or not, it seems like my best bet would be to get contacts.

I'm glad everyone is chiming in.  I didn't see any posts like this, so maybe it can also help other or new riders that have the same problem I am facing.  Thanks guys, and keep the comments coming.

1986 4spd Savage
Approx. 6,000 Miles
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/04/14 at 10:00:50

I use safety glasses (provided by work insurance) and  a full face helmet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 09/04/14 at 11:48:45

Ralph, contacts won't save your precious eyesight from road debris or determined bugs. If you get contacts, pick up a pair of safety or riding glasses as well.

edit: Never mind. I remember you stated you had non prescription riding glasses. Then I change my response to wear them with your contacts to protect your eyes.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #10 - 09/04/14 at 13:58:17

Google: Over glass goggles

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 09/04/14 at 14:51:25

I wear either glasses or contacts as well
as a HJC full face flip helmet.
You will discover if you choose contacts that
one of the benefits is, they don't fog up like
glasses do.
I would suggest investing in a 2nd pair of glasses
just to be on the safe side.
The glasses help filter out substances that can
get in your eyes even with a ff helmet, where
the contacts don't.
I have been riding 7 years and so far have never
had glasses fly off my face.
That again is possibly due to the ff helmet.
Best of luck on your decision. Smiley kim & Genie

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/04/14 at 17:24:36

I ride with a full face helmet...occasionally with sunglasses.

Sometimes gnats will hit my chest, then bounce or get blown up inside my helmet.  About once every 500 miles....one of them ends up in my eye.  The bigger bugs don't tend to bounce like the gnats do.

« Last Edit: 09/05/14 at 02:57:39 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #13 - 09/05/14 at 01:30:44

I use a Caberg flip up helmet, so I don't have to remove my glasses when I put it on. It also has a built-in second, tinted visor, which is an excellent replacement for sunglasses (and I miss it in my car).
I modified it by removing the padding from where the optional helmet speakers go, and putting in a thinner layer. This way it doesn't press the glasses into my skull, and it's perfect Smiley

If I'll get hit by a rock hard enough for it to get through the visor, and damage my glasses, I guess I'll have bigger problems than getting new glasses.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 09/05/14 at 04:02:33

I wear a FF helmet.  Remove glasses, put on helmet, put glasses back on is a little of a pain but not bad.  The helmet keeps all sorts of crap out of your eyes and off of your glasses that would otherwise hit your glasses or get in your eyes.

Modular, flip-up helmets don't make you remove your glasses to put them on.

Given that glasses, in many cases, cost as much or more than a helmet, why not protect them and your eyes at the same time?

You can get prescription safety glasses. They generally won't shatter but can still be broken or cracked. If it doesn't cost too much with your prescription, you might want to consider the self-darkening lenses.  I loved them when I had them. Now, with my prescription(I'm legally blind without my glasses), they want a small fortune for the photo-gray in them.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:02:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding with Eyeglasses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.