Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member with an electrical question (Read 115 times)
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New member with an electrical question
05/31/10 at 10:34:35

Hey y'all, I just got my first savage the other day and I love it!  I lucked out and found a running, titled and legal '87 for $220 on craigslist, and now I'm dealing with the consequenses of  buying a 220 dollar bike. I'm confident in my ability to fix the mechanical issues, but I've just come across a wiring problem that I can't for the life of me figure out. I got the bike with only one key which I promptly lost before I could make a spare so I temporarily completed the ignition circuit with a simple switch an that has been working fine for me the past couple of days, until last night.  I disconnect the switch any time I won't be around the bike, and last night when I went to plug it in the lights came on for a second then I lost all power. I have been chasing wires all morning and can't find a blown fuse or burned out wire, it's driving me crazy!  Where would y'all suggest I start looping to trouble shoot an issue like this?  Thanks in advance for any help guys, I look forward to posting here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New member with an electrical question
Reply #1 - 05/31/10 at 12:47:19

Always begin with the last thing you did.
do all the wires you cut and put together have good contact?
does the switch still work?
blown fuses?
battery still good?
light bulbs still good?
there's a couple connectors to the handlebar controls, check those.
engine ground by the oil level window, check that.
had the tank on and off?  check the connectors and wiring under the tank.
headlight bucket, check the wiring in there, good chance of a broken wire or a short there.

if that don't get it, you have to follow the voltage in every circuit around till you loose it.

WWW   IP Logged
kamekaze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/10 at 16:04:10

It seems I'm saved for having to chase wires for now (chasing wires is probably my least favorite activity, just below dying and being put through copious amounts of pain), I went through a pretty through wiggle test and pulled then reseated all fuses and it seems good to go now. I'm kind of wary about not trouble shooting the problem though...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 06/01/10 at 19:10:39

kamekaze wrote on 05/31/10 at 16:04:10:
It seems I'm saved for having to chase wires for now (chasing wires is probably my least favorite activity, just below dying and being put through copious amounts of pain), I went through a pretty through wiggle test and pulled then reseated all fuses and it seems good to go now. I'm kind of wary about not trouble shooting the problem though...

Next time it happens, do the wiggle test one spot at a time, and check it.  

Also, on a '87, WD-40 is your friend  Smiley

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/19/10 at 20:49:54

Kam,

I feel your pain:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274415984/8#8

T suggested a "wiggle check" in the post above this one.  I made a tool to assist me in doing wiggle checks that saves me from blowing out lots of fuses during the test.

It is a license plate light fixture and harness I removed from an old pickup truck eighteen years ago when I was putting a rear bumper on it:

I cut off the OEM connector and crimped on some spade connectors to the ends of the two wires:

You can see where I filed down the spade connectors so that they would fit into the holder for the fuse.

I pull the fuse on the suspect circuit, plug my tester leads into the fuse holder, turn on the ignition switch, and wiggle away.  If I find a short to ground, the light gets really bright.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/20/10 at 01:21:50

Now thats clever, Digger..
Theres a way to use a regular 100 watt lamp in series w/ a tube type radio to keep from blowing it up, if its suspect of an electrical problem. Recommended for the first time its powered up if unfamiliar with the unit. I had one, but dang if I know where ( or IF) it is now. Ill build another if I get another shortwave I guess.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member with an electrical question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.